PDA

View Full Version : Repatriation route from Royal Wootton Bassett

coffindodger
2nd Jul 2011, 17:01
Should Repatriation Procession Be Diverted?

A decision to divert the repatriation route for fallen British servicemen away from Royal Wootton Bassett has prompted fierce debate.
For several years, the flag-draped coffins of fallen soldiers have been met by large crowds who line the streets to pay their respects as they return to British soil.
But repatriation flights are to be diverted and will no longer be flown back to RAF Lyneham and through the Wiltshire town of Royal Wootton Bassett.

Instead, they will arrive back to RAF Brize Norton, where they will be driven through the back gate.
They will then make their way down a series of side roads, avoiding the nearby town of Carterton before arriving at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Video: Royal Wootton Bassett Repatriation Row - Anger As Procession Is Diverted To RAF Brize Norton | UK News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Royal-Wootton-Bassett-Repatriation-Row---Anger-As-Procession-Is-Diverted-To-RAF-Brize-Norton/Article/201107116022921?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser _Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_16022921_Video%3A_Royal_Wootton_Bassett_Repatria tion_Row_-_Anger_As_Procession_Is_Diverted_To_RAF_Brize_Norton)

coffindodger
2nd Jul 2011, 17:07
They will be driven through the back gate.
They will then make their way down a series of side roads,

What an insult to our brave men and women that have served and died for our country. :(

Ken Scott
2nd Jul 2011, 19:18
Not an intended insult I am led to believe, but Thursday's (repatriation days) are market day in Carterton & it was considered that congestion would be a problem.

But the convoy would turn right out of the gates & not go through the town, so I'm a tad confused....

They could always do them on Wednesdays.....?

AGS Man
3rd Jul 2011, 08:24
I read the article on Sky News on line, supposedly the Editors Choice. This sounds to me that it's a quiet news day and they are trying to whip up a frenzy. You will note that there is no mention of Lyneham closing, just "a decision has been take to fly into Brize.." It's not exactly breaking news that Lyneham is closing and although I take my hat off to the good people of Royal Wooton Bassett it wouldn't exactly be practical to traipse half way around Oxfordshire and Wiltshire just to pass throgh Royal Wooton Bassett. I believe I read somewhere recently that arrangements would be made for those who wish to show their respects.

tonker
3rd Jul 2011, 10:36
When they could have been offloaded at RAF Wroughton, and taken to the hospital there.

Unfortunately it was demolished moments before these wars began:sad:

Jabba_TG12
4th Jul 2011, 12:30
I understand from press over the weekend that Carterton's market traders are more than happy to co-operate in any way that would allow the corteges to pass through and do not want to be seen as the fall guys for such a decision; it was implied that they werent consulted as to whether they were prepared to help out in any way and that the decision had already been made and the market day excuse trotted out as a quick fob-off.

Uncle Ginsters
4th Jul 2011, 16:11
More media sensationalist b:mad:cks

"Diverted from Wootton Bassett"?
"Avoiding Carterton"?

Lyneham's closed. End of.

Carterton? WB was on the route to the JR from Lyneham and so the ritual began. I suppose it would be right to parade the families needlessly around Oxfordshire in their time of grief?

The route links the new Repatriation Facility (no mention of the £2m+ custom-build in the press i note??) to the JR via a route dictated by a combination of the Coroner and Thames Valley Police. Nobody is 'avoiding' anything.
There is an ideal area on Monahan Way to for folk to show their respects, complete with parking(local sports pavilion) and wide verges...does it matter that it doesn't back on to a High St pub or bookies?

The media follow a simple recipe guaranteed to whip up a frenzy irrespective of the fact that it's 99.9% wrong - don't do their job for them!

Jimlad1
4th Jul 2011, 16:51
I think the comment below from Andrew Rowbotham on the BBC website seems fairly sensible- speed bumps and hearses do not mix well!
How long till the outrage campaign spun up about the insult to our dead of sending them over speedbumps?

"Mr Robathan said the route would go through the village of Brize Norton, but would not go through the nearby town of Carterton, which had narrow roads with speed bumps "which are not very suitable for corteges"."

wokkamate
4th Jul 2011, 19:11
"He said there would also be private chapels of rest for families to spend time with their loved ones' remains adding: "The cortege will then head down a very dignified avenue of limes to the nearest gate, which is being refurbished and being called the Britannia gate. It is dignified, respectful and solemn."

Oxfordshire County Council was also building a memorial garden, with car parking, so those who wished to show their respect could do so "in a dignified and proper place", he said."

Respectful, honourable, well planned and with the interests of the families of the deceased to the fore. Good reasons. So why are so many people peeved by the plans? Because we hate change - the Repatriation process has worked well through RAF Lyneham and Royal Wooten Basset, but now there is change and it seems some people just can't cope with change.

Well, IMHO - get a grip. If you want to pay your respects, then get down there and line the (slightly less convenient) route, otherwise please stop whinging for the sake of whinging (it seems!)

Respect is respect whether standing in a town or at the side of the road.