PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft advice

Donegal Dan
1st Jul 2011, 12:39
Hi guys.
I would like advice with some aircraft's you recommend. Here's my situation. I have my ppl and going to do my cpl. I'm looking to buy an aircraft to travel around Australia then continue building hours in and training, then eventually fly from Australia to Ireland. (depending on my experience)
I'm looking to spend in the area of 30k to 55k AUD for something that wont cost a fortune to maintain and keep. I realise that I may have opened up myself to criticism but i would appreciate all advice and any aircraft info you can give.
I also understand that Australia to Ireland is a massive undertaking but its something id love to do and experience. (isn't that want flying is all about?)

PS
i see the best priced aircraft are in the states so any info on shipping plane from the states to Australia would be great.

Thanks guys

The Heff
1st Jul 2011, 18:39
I'd suggest that you start your search here (http://e-ditionsbyfry.com/Olive/AM3/GAB/Default.htm?href=GAB/2011/07/01&pageno=4).

It won't list any prices for aircraft across the pond, but you'll be able to identify at least what aircraft type you're looking for.

A and C
2nd Jul 2011, 12:59
You won't find anything for £30K that meets the mission spec.

What you will find is a lot of undermaintaned old dogs who's owners will tell you that their aircraft will do the job if you just add fuel & oil.

No doubt there will be a number of posts below telling you of aircraft that will do the job but 99% of it will be hot air from people with old dogs to sell or the new generation of underbuilt ultralight toys.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Jul 2011, 13:05
Ask yourself if you want to do your training on the same plane as the great adventure. You might be better off beginning on a simple cheap trainer, cheap both to acquire and to operate, and only switch to a more hefty one when you need it.

Katamarino
2nd Jul 2011, 13:41
People have flown Tiger Moths from The UK to Australia. There's no reason that, if you choose the right aircraft, you shouldn't be able to do a similar trip. A C172, for example, would be more than capable of handling a new PPL's hour building (assuming he was not a complete incompetent) and then doing such a trip. After all, it's nothing more than 100 or so hours of hour building, but in a straight line.

As for shipping an airplane from the States; again, something thats often done. You can either have it ferry-flown, or put into a container and shipped. Both options are likely to be expensive.

When I was a PPL with 150 hours I flew a C172 from coast to coast across the US. This is obviously rather a bigger trip that you're planning, but it goes to show that it is entirely achievable. I say go for it!

A lot of people fly via Egypt on such a trip. See my website for a writeup of flying Egypt to the UK :) katamarino.co.uk - Adventure Flying Resources (http://www.katamarino.co.uk/sudan2011.php)

Mimpe
2nd Jul 2011, 13:54
it sounds like a romantic idea
for the budget you have youd need something like a VH registered Falco or Vans or some other high speed RAA type aircraft, and you want to be very confident with the engine.
I love flying light aircraft in Australia...its a great plce to fly.

You should have a look at the Casa website when you get here, and get ahold of their dvd on Australian weather conditions. There are a few classic weather patterns you need to be aware of.
Also, many of the arrangements for safety in outback flying relate to what you are going to do if you are forced down in the middle of nowhere, because theres an awfull lot of it out here........
406mhz beacons are compulsory, and learning how to use HF is important. We usually carry a satellete phone and lots of water also.
Be meticulous about avoiding dehydration in the cockpit in summer.

The kimberley in WA is agreat destination, as well as the Barrier Reef. You can rent very well maintained aircraft in Alice Springs...just impress Cliff with you preparation and airmanship and look after the aircraft.