PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of student records/data/information

mrmum
30th Jun 2011, 23:15
Are there any policies, rules or generally accepted practice regarding the transfer of student data from one training facility to another?

Prior to this week I've only been party to this once in 18 years of instructing as far as I can recall. In that case I think we copied their records/hours and posted them to the new CFI along with a partially completed PPL application form

Then this week I've had one request going each way. I'm perfectly happy that any theory exams that have been passed should be entered into a SRG1105 by the ground examiner and then given to the student or their new club. But what about their training records, confirmation of hours, details of any exams they've failed? (we don't want to inadvertently give the same one again)

ifitaintboeing
1st Jul 2011, 06:42
The answer is in Standards Document 11

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_StdsDoc11_v9.pdf

Para 1.5.5

Whopity
1st Jul 2011, 14:13
A Registered Facility or Training Organisaion has a responsibility to maintain records of the training conducted, if they comply with Para 1.5.5 and send the records to a third party, they are left with no evidence of that training. They should only pass certified copies to a new training provider, and should retain the originals for the requisite period. The records are the property of the originator, not the student or another school.

In the event of an accident, the school could be asked to give evidence in relation to training given by them, this is quite difficult with no records!

mrmum
1st Jul 2011, 19:37
Thanks both. We're having difficulty getting our new customer's ex-CFI to part with training records, so good to have something to quote at them. Interesting point Whopity, 1.5.4 and 1.5.5 do seem to contradict each other a bit, I think your suggestion is the sensible answer.

Whopity
1st Jul 2011, 20:24
As there is no legal requirement for records yet, a certified copy of the log book would suffice, you can determine what the candidate can do.

ifitaintboeing
1st Jul 2011, 20:45
If the training provider passes on the originals and keeps a copy, this complies with the requirments.