PDA

View Full Version : would you inform the pax?

EY763ER
30th Jun 2011, 15:35
Good day all.

Just a quick question to get different pilot opinions / airline procedures:

Question:
If you had an engine failure after departure, and decided to return back to the airport, what would you inform the passengers? would you give details and be specific, or would you be vague (P.A. "techinical issue" ect ect)??

Does your airline give you guidance on this matter, if they do, what do they say with regards to informing passengers?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reason I ask is that in the sim many TRI/TRE have different opinions on this and i wanted some more opinions and reasons.

Many thanks in advance!

note: reason i ask on the mid east forum is because i wanted feedback from pilots at EK/EY/QR and the likes thereof.

Vizsla
30th Jun 2011, 15:45
You get a good clue when the cabin crew start reading the manuals and looking serious

tbaylx
30th Jun 2011, 16:05
Alot of pax are going to notice an engine failure, if you try and bullsh!t them you're just going to look like you're trying to hide something and make it worse. Tell them the truth without getting technical and explain exactly what's going to happen (ie fuel dump, return or divert, time it will take etc).

reassure them that you have it under control and let them know about how long it will take to get back to the gate.

It's really a non event in a modern aircraft with properly trained crew. Make your PA accordingly and you'll find the pax are less likely to panic.

Craggenmore
30th Jun 2011, 16:13
Depends how many engines the a/c had - A330/777 or A380/340...?

777AV8R
30th Jun 2011, 16:26
LIE, you'll get your a** caught in the wringer, BUT you can be diplomatic about it.

Panama Jack
30th Jun 2011, 17:09
Why would you NOT be honest with the passengers and try to insult their intelligence? It will be in the news tomorrow anyhow and the lingering impression would be "the Captain tried to pull the wool over our eyes."

No thanks.

I figure the guys who try to fudge the truth must themselves take comfort in getting lied to. As a traveller, I don't appreciate it, and for me to partake in it is unethical.

My thoughts:

1) Tell them you've had an engine failure or had to complete a precautionary shut down.
2) Tell them that you have the aircraft and the situation is under control.
3) You are returning to the airport and expect to be landing in XX minutes
4) The cabin crew will be preparing the cabin. Kindly cooperate with their instructions
5) Thank them, in advance, for their cooperation and understanding.

Try not to sound jittery and nervous like Elmer Fudd while you do this and you will install confidence and might just have a few pax refer to you as "very professional" or even a "hero" during the press interviews.

gb777
1st Jul 2011, 12:59
Just my 2 cents: You can be honest without giving too many details.

An engine fire can be explained as an "indication" of an overheat, so you had to reduce the engine towards idle.
An engine shutdown can be explained as a "reduction towards idle power",
just like a car engine.
The landing speed will be somewhat higher, so it is quite normal to see the
fire trucks after landing, in case the brakes overheat and cooling is necessary.
(Certainly in case of an overweight landing)

Bottom line, and again IMHO, do not use the words "fire" nore "engine shutdown", unless a crash is unavoidable, I mean the odds of the outcome
are against you.

Works fine, and if the P.A. is done with a calm and controlled voice,
you'l never hit the headlines nor the "disaster" websites.
On the contrary, you may expect some positive appraisal e-mails from
your passengers.

All this from experience....

ODGUY
1st Jul 2011, 13:38
Ladies and gentleman, the captain speaking, we have completed a precautionary shutdown of the #x engine. This aircraft is certified for and quite capable of flying with said engine shut down. We will be diverting/returning to XXX. The new ETA is XXXX.

Upon arrival, our customer service agents will have more information converning your travel plans.

Please follow all instructions give by your flight attendants.

slowjet
1st Jul 2011, 21:00
Very similar to the 747 Skipper who lost one engine after another & kept re-assuring everyone with delayed ETA's. After the third one quit and a further delayed ETA, Paddy turns to Murphy and retorts....." Geees, I sure hope we don't lose the remaining engine or we will be up here all night !".

CoolHandleLuke
2nd Jul 2011, 10:58
"due to instrument indications we have decided to shut down one engine as a precautionary measure"

As far as the passengers are concerned, let them know/think that the engine did not quit on you... you decided to shut it down your self!

Trust me Im Staff
8th Jul 2011, 02:58
40&80 :ok:

A300Man
8th Jul 2011, 10:02
As a passenger, I would personally like to be told the truth. However, Lukes suggestion is a good one.