PDA

View Full Version : Flight in TS

Digital flight deck
28th Jun 2011, 22:45
When I was a baby helicopter pilot, one of the most loudly voiced dangers one could face was to get caught up in an active thunderstorm. I was shocked to witness an army Apache carrying out general handling (I assume) for about 30 mins during a thunderstorm with lightning, thunder, heavy rain etc, etc [****WELL] Do they not react in the same way as other helicopters in such conditions or were the pilots just foolish?
I suspect that many have stories of being caught out in these conditions, perhaps it would be of interest to hear some.

HOGE
28th Jun 2011, 22:50
I've had a lightning strike in an S76. Can't say I enjoyed the experience.

ShyTorque
28th Jun 2011, 23:00
Can't say I enjoyed the experience

You're not supposed to. It's God's way of telling you that you should be somewhere else, such as on the ground. ;)

Epiphany
29th Jun 2011, 00:53
Just because they are flying an Apache does not mean that they are experienced pilots. Perhaps it was their first experience of flying near a CB and maybe it will be their last.

I was a 250 hour PIC Army pilot when, through ignorance, I flew too close to a CB in a Gazelle. Taught me to be very respectful of them. ****WELL indeed.

md 600 driver
29th Jun 2011, 07:43
What happens if you get a lightning strike in a helicopter?
How did you get on epiphany

Epiphany
29th Jun 2011, 08:22
It wouldn't do the machine any good at all. There have been a number of incidents on the North Sea in recent years. Don't think any have resulted directly in fatalities although one fatal accident was due to a lightning strike on a main rotor blade some time previously. The blade was damaged and eventually failed during a later flight.

My own experience did not include a lightning strike but the memorable and terrifying effects of turbulence, lightning flashes and torrential rain were all that I needed to make sure that I will never go near one again. At one point I had no control over the rate of climb/descent and just had to hang on, make sure I didn't overtorque or exceed the Nr limits and just watch the VSI in horror.

These days thankfully I have a weather radar to help see and avoid and not just the MK1 eyeball. It is recommended that you avoid CB's by at least 10nm but that all depends on how big they are.

eivissa
29th Jun 2011, 08:23
This video (though exagerating when animating the autorotation) is quite interesting to watch. Do helicopters on the north sea really get hit by lightning on a regular basis? This cant be true :confused:

WPxGzggLMjE

Horror box
29th Jun 2011, 09:01
This video (though exagerating when animating the autorotation) is quite interesting to watch. Do helicopters on the north sea really get hit by lightning on a regular basis? This cant be true

They do suffer several strikes every year in the North Sea, although the majority are probably static discharges. A static discharge is very hard to predict, and are more common in winter in cold temperatures (around freezing) with snow present. This serves to cook up a nicely charged atmosphere that then needs a helicopter with rotating bits to come in and create an opposite charge. The result is a static discharge. The damage is usually very costly, and often requires replacement of main and tail rotor blades, as well as MGB and TGB's depending a little on the path of the current. I have also seen a case whereby all of the flight controls had to be changed as well as there were very clear scorch marks all the way through the control runs including the tail rotor drive shafts. The aircraft had many burn marks and what looked like shotgun spray - for want of a better description, over the blades where current had entered and exited the aircraft. This is generally the most obvious and common initial indication on inspection. Different types react differently and the overall cause and effect is still poorly understood, as is the actual amount of power contained in lightning, but it can hugely vary. A pure lightning strike as opposed to a static discharge I would say is somewhat rarer, but probably considerably more serious. I suspect they are rarer because we avoid at all costs through the use of weather radar and weather reports. Tests have shown that the heat generated by a lightning strike can cause temperatures of many thousands of degrees C, which has the effect of melting instantly and shearing various parts. Generally our helicopters are well bonded to allow for the transfer of the electrical power through the aircraft, but that is not to say that will be a safeguard. I have seen aircraft lose all their electrics following a strike, aircraft with major structural damage all sorts of other varying degrees of damage.
I believe many people fly around in thunderstorms due to ignorance or inexperience, but for those of us who have seen and experienced their effects, it is something we treat with extreme caution in a helicopter. When you consider the potential of damage to one blade on the outcome of your successful flight you may think twice. Not so dramatic in a fixed wing, but bloody scary in a helicopter. The simple answer is - YES it is bloody dangerous and bloody unpredictable. If lightning is being observed - be somewhere else and wait until it moves away. It generally does not hang around very long. 30 mins usually is enough (not always - google supercells) If it is forecast take extra holding fuel and have a backup plan and landing area alternate.

212man
29th Jun 2011, 10:24
Don't think any have resulted directly in fatalities although one fatal accident was due to a lightning strike on a main rotor blade some time previously

See post No 2....:sad::sad::sad:

206 jock
29th Jun 2011, 12:48
When I was young and foolish (April 1999), I flew under a very ugly looking cloud in my then R22 on the way back from the West country, using the simple judgement that as there were gliders around and using the thermals, it couldn't be that dangerous. It was a little rough and I recall feeling really quite apprehensive until I was well clear of the nasty stuff.

I then read about his incident shortly afterwards....

BBC News | UK | Glider pair's lightning reactions (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/558095.stm)

Reconstructed on 999 here:

YouTube - ‪Glider destroyed by lightning, BBC 999 program of the reconstruction‬‏

I think I used one of my 9 lives that day....

Digital flight deck
30th Jun 2011, 12:16
Does anyone have any images of a lightning strike on a helicopter?

Horror box
30th Jun 2011, 18:45
Does anyone have any images of a lightning strike on a helicopter?

You would have to be bloody quick on the draw with your camera for that one.:E

Digital flight deck
1st Jul 2011, 23:48
H Box, I think you know what I mean :ok: The aftermath if it was not clear enough.

SASless
2nd Jul 2011, 00:39
Usually it is not lightning that poses the real hazard as most have agreed. I can safely say that anyone who has experienced a genuine nasty assed thunderstorm never ever wants to renew that experience. We are not talking about those that merely knock you about a bit....show you a bright flash or two...perhaps some small frozen precip but those really really black ugly nasty things that give Atheists religion!

They will change your attitude about your own invulnerability and mortality!

Come to Kansas Toto....those are the kind I am talking about!

ChopperFAN
2nd Jul 2011, 00:40
Isnt there you tube of a s92 gettin struck on the tarmac with it hitting a blade and creating a crater under it...?

Canadian Rotorhead
2nd Jul 2011, 01:16
B2M0I4yVIBE

oldbeefer
2nd Jul 2011, 08:36
When I was working in France, a french Puma flew into a Cb near Nice. Came out vertically about 10 mins later with no blades.

Aser
2nd Jul 2011, 09:53
oldbeefer, Do you remember any details, to try a search in google?

Digital flight deck
2nd Jul 2011, 12:03
Not your best mate then?

oldbeefer
3rd Jul 2011, 08:39
Acer. No, sorry. It was while I was working with the FAF at Chambery - so 78 - 81.