PDA

View Full Version : Her Majesty The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal

LFFC
28th Jun 2011, 21:44
Members of the Armed Forces will be presented with a medal to mark Her Majesty The Queen's Diamond Jubilee on 6 February 2012. (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/MembersOfTheArmedForcesToReceiveNewMedal.htm)

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Templates/GenerateThumbnail.aspx?imageURL=/NR/rdonlyres/28DAEC09-7B0A-4213-BC9E-864859C342D8/0/JubileeMedal.jpg&maxSize=210

tmobile
28th Jun 2011, 21:57
Can I have the one on the left please. The design is better than the other one.

The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir David Richards, said:
"I know that our Armed Forces will be delighted they will be awarded a Diamond Jubilee Medal, both to celebrate the Queen's reign and in recognition of the enduring sacrifice our personnel make for our country.

"This medal recognises the important and difficult job our Armed Forces have carried out defending our nation and its interests, both at home and abroad, and it is a fitting tribute to their dedication and professionalism."

Sorry but didn't you mean
The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir David Richards, said:
"I know that our Armed Forces will be delighted they will be awarded a pay rise, both to celebrate the Queen's reign and in recognition of the enduring sacrifice our personnel make for our country.

"This pay rise would recognise the important and difficult job our Armed Forces have carried out defending our nation and its interests, both at home and abroad, and it is a fitting tribute to their dedication and professionalism."

Airborne Aircrew
28th Jun 2011, 22:02
Can I have the one on the left please. The design is better than the other one.

*COUGH* The one on the left is the other side of the one on the right*COUGH*

You won't be getting one... You're too stupid... :E

The Helpful Stacker
28th Jun 2011, 22:07
Although as a emergency service member I may be getting one of these gizzits I don't think I'll be bothering with mounting it with the rest. It gets a little expensive once you get a few and for once a year wear I don't think I can justify it to OC Home Front.

tmobile
28th Jun 2011, 22:08
Well that didn't take long.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH:ok:

The Helpful Stacker
28th Jun 2011, 22:11
(Ex) meat bombs don't take kindly to being wahed, watch your back......

Airborne Aircrew
28th Jun 2011, 22:17
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Nice try... :rolleyes:

Herc-u-lease
28th Jun 2011, 22:25
superb - here's another pointless medal to go along with the chocolate coin i got ten years ago. I understand the Stn Tailors' Association lobbied to get this medal introduced as they were running out of regular business due to every man and his dog wearing DPM these days.

a sufficient round of expensive No.1s and 5s mounting followed by the obligatory miniatures purchase should keep them in business for a few more years. all we need now is the queen to let charles succeed in a few years so we can have a round of sewing the King's badge onto hats/berets etc.

yet another token to remind me of my age and when the RAF looked different to what it is today.

Airborne Aircrew
28th Jun 2011, 22:26
Waaahhh is for the Army... Who aren't recruited for their looks, charm, intelligence nor good sense. If he want's to "wah" maybe he should spend his time on Arrse... Then again, he can spell so maybe he's a savant...

Willard Whyte
28th Jun 2011, 22:27
Wonder if those volunteering for redundancy, thus leaving the next month, will be getting one? MoD could save at least £5.47 by making up some dubious reason as to why not.

tmobile
28th Jun 2011, 22:32
Sorry Airborne, if I had realised sooner that you would get upset by my little wah then I wouldn't have bothered. Touchy lot you regiment types.

Grimweasel
28th Jun 2011, 22:36
At what cost? I guess losing the CINCs from each service will fund these Silver medals?? Bet the taxpayer is chuffed. Can't say that I would stay in beyond redundancy JUST to get one if I was offered/applied for it come Sept!!!

Airborne Aircrew
28th Jun 2011, 22:36
Not at all...

Where one expects such things as a "Wah" I think it would have been stupid of me to have replied with my, equally tongue in cheek, response. But the "wah" isn't really the norm one PPRuNe so to expect one to keep raising the "Wah shield" every time we want to have fun is a little much.

Come to RockNet and try it... ;)

tmobile
28th Jun 2011, 22:42
Come to RockNet and try it...

Why, when you have already been wah'd here. One should never drop one's guard should one.:hmm:

Old-Duffer
29th Jun 2011, 05:22
I'm told the reason the Golden Jubilee Medal is slightly smaller than most other Brit gongs is because the proof drawings were the wrong size and nobody thought to query it.

Not a lot of people know that! :8

Herc u lease;

Don't forget to sew the ribbon on your pyjamas - standards dear boy standards

high spirits
29th Jun 2011, 05:34
He's got 2 medals to wear to the dining-in now!!

How embarrassing is that going to look!

The B Word
29th Jun 2011, 05:59
Ok, I'll bite

So that will be the F3 mate with the Gulf War 1 medal with rosette, the UNPROFOR medal for DENY FLIGHT, the NATO FRY medal for DECISIVE EDGE, the GSM with Air Ops Iraq for BOLTON, the QEII Golden Jubilee choccy gong, the Iraq Medal for TELIC and probably, if having served in the past 10 years an Afghan OSM for the posting to KAF/BSN/LKG as an ASO/DAIT/ALI post. Plus the odd QCVS, MBE or OBE.

Oh, hang on, I've just been "waaaahed", :ok:

The B Word

Blacksheep
29th Jun 2011, 07:01
I say! Are we trying to beat the US and Russia in the "covering ourselves with glory" competition? A simple GSM with clasps for GW1, GW2 Afghanistan etc. would have sufficed in the days when officers were still gentlemen, airmen knew their place and flying suits could only be worn airside. I have a silver jubilee medal somewhere, but have always been too embarrased to wear it. :rolleyes:

PlasticCabDriver
29th Jun 2011, 07:19
Oh dear. AA has bitten after being waaahhed, even if it was so obviously a wah it was like a herd of wildebeest galloping over the hill carrying a 10ft neon sign saying "CAUTION - WAH COMING". I believe he should now be pooh-poohed as well?

high spirits
29th Jun 2011, 07:20
Yep, going to need a bigger hook......

ghostnav
29th Jun 2011, 07:26
Glad the B Word took the bait but I will too. What most people forget is the F3 was the first UK fast-jet aircraft to land in the Gulf Region for Desert Shield but High Spirits was most probably still sucking on his dummy.

high spirits
29th Jun 2011, 07:31
New boat too....

Jambo Jet
29th Jun 2011, 07:39
Oh dear. AA has bitten after being waaahhed, even if it was so obviously a wah it was like a herd of wildebeest galloping over the hill carrying a 10ft neon sign saying "CAUTION - WAH COMING". I believe he should now be pooh-poohed as well?

I hope AA does not ignore your pooh-pooh; morale will suffer!

I knew a Major.... Mehhh!

Whenurhappy
29th Jun 2011, 07:49
Are we not missing the point here? This medal is to commemorate 60 (often thankless) years service of HM the Queen and as loyal subject who have sworn oaths of allegiance, and some granted warrants and commissions under her hand, we should be proud to recognise this service to the country and Commonwealth.

Cue drum roll....

The B Word
29th Jun 2011, 08:31
HS

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/2100000/We-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat-sharks-2123797-500-338.jpg

:ok:

Tankertrashnav
29th Jun 2011, 08:58
The last diamond jubilee was Queen Victoria's, in 1897. On that occasion the medal was only issued to around 980 army officers (not the navy, apparently). Rank and file did not get a medal. Police, fire and ambulance services had their own versions. There was so much bitching about who got medals for the 1977 Silver Jubilee that it was decided on the "everyone with 5 years service" rule for 2002, which seems to be the same for this new one.

At what cost? I guess losing the CINCs from each service will fund these Silver medals??

Actually if you read the description it says nickel silver, ie the same sort of stuff a 10p coin is made of. In that case Willard Whyte's estimate of £5.47 probably isn't far out. Still, it looks better than the 2002 thing, which has to be the worst British medal ever issued.

Old-Duffer
29th Jun 2011, 09:05
Ghostnav

Yes F3 did get to Desert Shield first BUT didn't they start from Cyprus?

Exascot
29th Jun 2011, 09:13
Excuse me chaps, what is all this 'Desert Shield' stuff'? It was 'Operation Granby'

Operation Granby - British contribution to the Gulf War (http://www.operationgranby.com/)

sidewayspeak
29th Jun 2011, 11:24
Another medal thread...

Great a new medal, now I'll have two.
Bugger, now I have to pay for more mounting costs.
It's a chocolate medal not a real one.
You don't deserve it, I was in Bagdad when you were in your dad's bag.
Round ones don't count.
We fought the Russians for twenty years and didn't get one.
Now we'll look like the Americans.
I deserve it after umpty ump years of Service.
No you don't you've not been on as many Ops as me.
I'm braver than you.
No you're not.
Yes I am.
How bl&&dy tedious. Apologies if I missed any of the comments yet to be covered. Personally I'd be happier with a payrise or money for lost leave, or something equally useful. But the red ribbon does at least match my pyjamas. :ugh:

Halton Brat
29th Jun 2011, 11:29
This delightful medal would sit well between my BSA & Sidecar and Rorke's Drift Star. Am I eligible? How do I apply?

HB

parabellum
29th Jun 2011, 11:38
Desert Shield was just the build up, Desert Storm was the bit that mattered.

ghostnav
29th Jun 2011, 11:40
OD - yes Cyprus!

Exascot - Op Desert Storm was the war - Op Desert Shield was the initial defensive operation that was followed by Desert Storm.

ghostnav
29th Jun 2011, 11:47
Both bits mattered - without the first you would never had had the second.

Let's not get into a who did what and when! It doesn't matter as everyone's contribution in a fight is important now matter how big or small.

Unless of course you have an ego to inflate.....

Exascot
29th Jun 2011, 12:08
Just to get this back on thread. Op Granby/Desert Shield/Desert Storm twas the only gong I got in 16 years. This is not counting the gongs from the appreciative Kuwait and Saudi governments. The Saudi one doesn't half hurt when you roll over on it when wearing it on pyjams in bed :{

ghostnav
29th Jun 2011, 12:13
People still wear pyjamas?

Exascot
29th Jun 2011, 12:51
People still wear pyjamas?

Yep, with arrows on them. Compulsory in Greek prisons :O

parabellum
29th Jun 2011, 13:17
Let's not get into a who did what and when! It doesn't matter as everyone's contribution in a fight is important now matter how big or small.

Unless of course you have an ego to inflate.....

A rather pompous and unnecessary post there Ghostnav. No ego to inflate, I was there, in Bahrain, as a civilian (pilot), scared ****less at times sitting in my hallway with a gas mask on, with my dogs, waiting for the bang, brings a whole new meaning to 'helpless'.

Halton Brat
29th Jun 2011, 13:17
Exascot

Along with certain other practices, I'll wager.

Never leave your friend's behind.

HB

Exascot
29th Jun 2011, 13:33
Definitely off thread HB. Bribery is rife here, it was a women's prison actually. You should see our chief prosecutor here I would commit a crime every day in order to be brought in front of her :ok:

A rather pompous and unnecessary post there Ghostnav. No ego to inflate, I was there, in Bahrain, as a civilian (pilot), scared ****less at times sitting in my hallway with a gas mask on, with my dogs, waiting for the bang, brings a whole new meaning to 'helpless'.

For goodness sake :sad:

FFP
29th Jun 2011, 17:03
"Presented" is a little inaccurate if my previous medal ceremonies are anything to go by. "Arrives in your mail slot" is a more fitting description of how it's disseminated.

Although, I was presented with a medal once, on a stage, in front of my Sqn, with a very impressively written citation that made me sound like I walked on water. The occasion ? USAF Commendation Medal for my time on exchange. Very nice and hugely appreciated after 3 years working with them.

My Herrick and Telic medals from UK PLC ? Turned up in my mail slot / in the post......

Fire 'n' Forget
29th Jun 2011, 17:11
Each medal is apparently costing just over £13 plus vat ! :eek:

dropintheoggin
29th Jun 2011, 17:28
The last diamond jubilee was Queen Victoria's, in 1897. On that occasion the medal was only issued to around 980 army officers (not the navy, apparently)

And why not RAF officers either?

tmobile
29th Jun 2011, 17:38
And why not RAF officers either?

Quick, check to see if Airborne Aircrew is on line. He likes a good Wah.

dropintheoggin
29th Jun 2011, 17:42
You ruined it tmobile! I could've had him...

wokawoka
29th Jun 2011, 17:45
Dropintheoggin,

You cannot Wah on a question!!

FODPlod
29th Jun 2011, 17:48
The last diamond jubilee was Queen Victoria's, in 1897. On that occasion the medal was only issued to around 980 army officers (not the navy, apparently).At least two exceptions come to light after a quick Google, probably owing to the existence of the Naval Brigades:Admiral Sir Arthur Cavenagh Leveson GCB (27 January 1868 – 26 June 1929) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Leveson)
...He was promoted to Lieutenant on 27 July 1887. While as a Brigade Major to the Naval Brigade in London, he participated in the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, for which he received the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medal...Medal entitlement of Admiral Sir Nowell Salmon, Royal Navy ( Naval Brigade ) (http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bbsalmon.htm)

Victoria Cross
Knight Grand Cross, Order of the Bath ( GCB )
Baltic Medal ( 1854-55 )
Indian Mutiny Medal ( 1857-58 )

2 clasps:
"Relief of Lucknow" - "Lucknow"

Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medal ( 1897 )
King Edward VII Coronation Medal ( 1902 )
King George V Coronation Medal ( 1911 )

Lima Juliet
29th Jun 2011, 22:08
Old Duffer et al - ref GW1

11 August 1990: First British aircraft arrive in Saudi Arabia. No 5 (Composite) Squadron arrives at Dhahran from Akrotiri, Cyprus, led by Wg Cdr Euan Black and comprising six Tornado F3s of No 5 Squadron and six of No 29. A further ten Tornados left on Cyprus, where units had been based for armament practice. No 6 (Composite) Squadron led by Wg Cdr Jerry Connolly, with 12 Jaguar GR1As, including four in reconnaissance configuration, leaves Coltishall for Thumrait, Oman, arriving on 12 August. Aircraft have been painted in Pink Panther desert camouflage scheme. No 20 Squadron, RAF Regiment, leaves for Cyprus with Rapier air defence missiles. Later transfers to Bahrain.

I know, I was on the Armament Practise Camp on 2 Aug 90 when Saddam invaded Kuwait - his intended next stop was parts of Saudi. The US aircraft, UK F3s/Jags and what was left of the Saudi Air Force (a lot had gone home to protect their families from the real threat of invasion) detered Saddam long enough for Desert Shield to grow in size prior to Desert Storm.

The BAE constructed F3 was in a pitiful state at this point in Aug 90 (quelle surprise!). No chaff/flares or Self Protection Jammer, the long awaited boost-sustain Skyflash was still not ready and the RADAR would be lucky to get a lock to support the boost-only Skyflash to target (until it was modified later). The guys that flew the aircraft in those tense early weeks from Saudi knew this, but they put themselves up there against the as yet unbroken Iraqi Air Force - for this they deserve the GW1 gong with rosette alone! In fact, at that point, the F3 was the Boulton-Paul Defiant equivalent of the jet age!

The F3 was the first British jet in place for Desert Shield in 1990 and went on to fly Desert Storm in 1991. It was modified quickly for 1991 but by then it had been relegated to "back-stop" CAP as it did not have a Self Protection Jammer (SPJ) and the risk of loss to SAMs over Iraq was far too great. It did not get a working SPJ until 5 years later for use in the Balkans; yet another great bit of procurement with a working system delivered nearly 10 years after In Service Date in 1986...:ugh:

Anyway, I hope that educates everyone in the year that the F3 went out of Service after 25 years.

LJ

Tankertrashnav
29th Jun 2011, 22:51
Thanks for the correction on RN officers getting the 1897 medal, FODPlod. I see that Admiral Salmon was a VC recipient. The practice of awarding coronation and jubilee medals to all surviving holders of the VC (and GC I believe) whether serving or retired continues to this day.

MrBernoulli
30th Jun 2011, 07:38
The F3 was the first British jet in place for Desert Shield in 1990 and went on to fly Desert Storm in 1991. It was modified quickly for 1991 but by then it had been relegated to "back-stop" CAP as it did not have a Self Protection Jammer (SPJ) and the risk of loss to SAMs over Iraq was far too great. Even the tanker aircraft got much closer to the action than any F3! It isn't about who was first to arrive in the desert - it is what you did whilst you were there.

Iraqi F1s outran the F3 at medium altitude on the one occasion the F3s attempted an intercept. Back-stop indeed! Lol!

BEagle
30th Jun 2011, 08:25
I was told at the time that the RAF actually wanted to send its last F-4s to the Gulf, but commercial pressure from 't Bungling Baron and DESO's gun-runners (who were concerned that an F-4 deployment might harm the Tornado ADV's export potential) held sway.

Never mind what's best for the job - we can't have that interfering with our export sales, can we?

As for gongs, I never did understand why we were given a couple of medals, then told we weren't allowed to wear them. I understand that a few folk ignored the rule and wore them anyway - just as the Americans were permitted to do.

c130jbloke
30th Jun 2011, 09:33
Sorry to be a killjoy, but what happens if said Queen departs the fix before 12 Feb 2012......... :ooh:

Possibly a bit premature ?

Climebear
30th Jun 2011, 09:56
If it's before 6 Feb 12 then I guess that the medals could be recast as coronation medals.

If it's between 7 and 12 Feb 12 then I guess we would get the medal and could also get a coronation medal.

:ugh:

Whenurhappy
30th Jun 2011, 13:45
Bit of a spotter question - but what's the diameter of this medal? Is it, err, Queen-sized like the QGJM?

BEagle
30th Jun 2011, 15:35
Sorry to be a killjoy, but what happens if said Queen departs the fix before 12 Feb 2012...

What? Is even Aunty Betty thinking of PVR-ing?

engineer(retard)
30th Jun 2011, 15:40
"What? Is even Aunty Betty thinking of PVR-ing? "

Sure is, they extended her retirement date until 108 years old and halved the pension she'll get when she retires.

Tankertrashnav
30th Jun 2011, 16:56
Bit of a spotter question - but what's the diameter of this medal? Is it, err, Queen-sized like the QGJM?

Spotter question deserves a proper answer! (makes a change from all those silly Wah posts anyway :*)

Since 1911 all coronation and jubilee medals have been a standard 32mm in diameter. Campaign medals (GSM, South Atlantic, Gulf, Iraq etc) are a standard 36mm. Would therefore be a fair bet that the 2012 medal will be 32mm.

If HM died shortly before her Diamond Jubilee it's doubtful if the coronation would take place before 2013, and no reason to expect that the same qualifying service would apply - might be more sparingly issued, like the 1953 medal.

Whenurhappy
30th Jun 2011, 19:08
TTN - thanks for a sensible answer. Now I know!

Unfortunately for me, paid service will finished in Jan 12, so I guess I'll miss out. Or I'll buy one from some hard-up squaddie on or about the 13th Feb next year.

A former colleague of mine was a mad keen medallist and when some of the Falklands War ships visited Auckland in early 1983, he waited at the gang plank of one of the RFAs asking if anyone would sell their medal. 30 minutes later and about $30 lighter he had his medal, but I suspect that he also was asked what other services he did for money.....l

Lima Juliet
30th Jun 2011, 21:12
Mr B

If the Iraqi F1s ran away faster then surely the F3s did their job - they chased them away!?!

BEagle

Yes, the other 2 gongs were the height of "bling". Also, the Non-Article 5 medal from Afghanistan has a nasty glittery band on it :yuk:. Maybe the uniform committee have a thing against bling?

At least the QDJM is not some God awful shade of gold that has all the class of a spray tan!

Yes, you are right, it was all about defence sales and never about capability. The F4s had just left AKR about 4 weeks earlier in Jul 90. Entryism, just like taking Typhoon to Libya and making it drop bombs guided by Tornado buddy-lazing...:hmm:

LJ

Papa Whisky Alpha
2nd Jul 2011, 22:12
Re post 57 ...............sparseness of Coronation Medals. At the time of the Coronation, if my memory serves me rightly, three medals were issued on our Station - one to the Station Commander, one to the WRAF "G" and the other to the Accounts SNCO. Those on the parade received none.

ExAscoteer
2nd Jul 2011, 22:25
The F3 was the first British jet in place for Desert Shield in 1990No it bloody wasn't! The first jets were already in Theatre - Nimrods on Op MAGIC ROUNDABOUT.

Or were Nimrods not jets?

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jul 2011, 22:30
Thanks Papa Whisky Alpha. Similar set up for the 1977 Silver Jubilee. A mate who commanded an AAC flight was on detachment in Norway when the letter asking for recommendations for the medal arrived in his tent. As the date had already passed, he submitted a nil return. He was quite genuinely embarrassed when he got the medal.

If HM lives as long as her mother, by that time giving everyone in the RAF a medal for the next coronation should be no problem - and they could all be given out on one parade :(

Old-Duffer
3rd Jul 2011, 09:10
IIRC the allocation for the Silver Jubilee Medal (1977 for those having trouble with the maths) went something like:

Air Officers
Station Commanders
One per 33 of the established manpower strength of the unit.

There were obvious exceptions - you couldn't have Queen's Colour Squadron and the Central Band with eight gongs between the lot of 'um at the Finningley 'big bash'.

At the Golden Jubilee, those serving in the RAF Reserve (Civilian Component) RAFR (CC) didn't get the medal, despite wearing uniform, having - if appropriate - commissions which were gazetted, and having terms of service which were in some cases more onerous than those holding commisions in the RAFR (HC) {we won't go near the pay & pensions bit here}. Even adult NCOs in the Air Training Corps got one if they had more than 5 years qualifying time. Caused more than a bit of a stink I can tell you!!

Old Duffer

sisemen
4th Jul 2011, 08:54
At a recruiting office not so very far from Aunty Betty's big house the WRAF receptionist got one of the 2 Silver Jubilee medals to be dished out. Qualifications??? Been in the RAF for about 2 minutes, had blonde hair and big jugs.

My opinion about non-valour medals was formed from that.

Mal Drop
4th Jul 2011, 10:31
11 August 1990: First British aircraft arrive in Saudi Arabia. No 5 (Composite) Squadron arrives at Dhahran from Akrotiri, Cyprus, led by Wg Cdr Euan Black and comprising six Tornado F3s of No 5 Squadron and six of No 29.
The same claim was made to me by a mate serving on 5 some months later in the bar at Akrotiri. I asked him whether he was met on arrival by Sqn groundcrew and how he thought they may possibly have got there.

Tankertrashnav
4th Jul 2011, 13:30
Qualifications??? Been in the RAF for about 2 minutes, had blonde hair and big jugs.

Seems fair enough to me ;)

Chris Kebab
4th Jul 2011, 18:41
..Hey Leon, According to my rather gash war diary I was dropped off in Dhahran on 10 Aug 1990 by an RAF Hercules which came in via Akrotiri. There was at least one other RAF C-130 on the ramp and lots of assorted groundcrew wondering what to do with the gas masks they had been told to carry. Sorry to pi$$ on your bonfire mate:ok:

Lima Juliet
4th Jul 2011, 19:27
The quote came from the RAF website:

Coastal Command History - Squadrons (http://www.raf.mod.uk/gulf/timeline.html)

Anyway, I'm sure there was a Herc bringing in the Skyflash ahead of deployment as well. But the F3s and Jags were our first warbirds in theatre in defence of the Royal Kingdom.

LJ

Anyway, back to the choccy medal debate, my bickering is diverting our attention!:ok:

MFC_Fly
4th Jul 2011, 20:52
I can confirm that MR2's of 206 Sqn were in theatre on Op MAGIC ROUNDABOUT from 10 Jul 90, with one crew later heading out to Diego Garcia for the formal change of US Base Commander (must thank the Royal Marines for their great hosting - top bunch). Then, a couple of days after arriving at DG, we were re-tasked to the Seychelles to conduct a 3 day SAR search, before returning to the Gulf on 24 Jul 90.

However, I can also confirm that, with the Iraqi forces massing on the Kuwait border pre-invasion, we were recalled to Kinloss on 28 Jul 90, 5 days before the invasion.

Therefore, although we were in theatre in July, we were pulled out before it all kicked off, only for other crews to return just over 2 weeks later.

MFC

Tankertrashnav
4th Jul 2011, 22:14
Anyway, back to the choccy medal debate, my bickering is diverting our attention!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Well it's been a nice little interesting parallel thread for those who know sod all about medals, whereas people like me who know sod all about any aircraft/ops post c1975 can stick to the medal chat! Plenty of room for both.

Old-Duffer
5th Jul 2011, 05:16
Tut, Tut, Tut := Tanker TN, you're only getting tetchy 'cause nobody mentioned the Victors.

However, let's link the first GW and medals - that should keep everybody 'on Thread'.

Why did the gang in Cyprus get the Gulf War medal?

They certainly did a good job throughout and nobody would gainsay their contribution but one was probably in more mortal danger eating and drinking some of the stuff in the JHQ at Wycombe than one was from enemy attack in Cyprus :rolleyes:

Note:
1. Before any caterers start up, my comment about JHQ was illustrative not factual and the food was very good (swift caveat and rapid back peddle).

MG
5th Jul 2011, 05:29
The Cyprus Gulf War medal, aka, The Brandy Sour Defence Force Medal! :):)

Clockwork Mouse
5th Jul 2011, 06:30
Because they were within Scud range.

Chris Kebab
5th Jul 2011, 07:08
Hmmmmmm, if you say so Clockwork.

My parents were out there as a tourist that Jan; they didn't seem too bothered.

HTB
5th Jul 2011, 07:32
I do believe that a WRAF Sqn Ldr supplier operating at some distant outpost in the vicinity of Harrogate was awarded the South Atlantic medal (sans rosette)...

Clockwork Mouse
5th Jul 2011, 07:46
CK
I believe what I posted is factual. Cyprus was considered to be "in theatre," improbable though it sounds. There is a rumour that the civvy teachers got it too, though I am not sure of its veracity. Also that the Cypriot SBA police did not, despite being in the front line of security, as they were not MoD employees.
I repeat that I am not fully certain of all these facts, but this is a rumour forum!

Old-Duffer
5th Jul 2011, 08:52
Within Scud range.

The Defence Attache in Jordan was within Scud range and he didn't get one (for Jordan add various other mid-east states as required).

HTB

Regarding the female squadron leader (a flt lt at the time) - she got an MBE for her exceptional contribution to the Harrier force and I think the medal might have been given as a 'presentation' piece, rather than something to wear.

O-D

Tankertrashnav
5th Jul 2011, 09:11
Tut, Tut, Tut := Tanker TN, you're only getting tetchy 'cause nobody mentioned the Victors.

Gosh, and I thought I was being all inclusive and approving of the parallel thread!

Anyway, now you mention it, of course Victor tankers took part in the Gulf War, only one year, IIRC, before they were finally withdrawn.

After the Falklands War, loads of people got MBEs, BEMs, QCVS etc for work in support of the war, but I dont think any got the South Atlantic unless they got as far as Ascension.

Old-Duffer
6th Jul 2011, 05:36
TTN,

No they didn't, that's why I said that Auntie Edna's was a 'presentation' not the real thing. She got an MBE, as mentioned, for the real work.

O-D