PDA

View Full Version : The Wind Beneath my Wings - John Hutchinson, Concorde Pilot

Flying Lawyer
28th Jun 2011, 00:53
I'm part-way through this well written and fascinating biography which has just been published (June 2011) and it's so good that I recommend it even before I reach the end:

The Wind Beneath my Wings - John Hutchinson, Concorde Pilot
by Susan Ottaway. (ISBN: 978-0-9562176-2-2)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/JohnHutch.jpg

Although best known as a senior BA Concorde captain, John Hutchinson started his flying career in the RAF. He served from 1955-1963 (Harvard training in Canada, Shackleton pilot in Singapore, QFI/IRE) and was a corporate pilot for three years before joining BOAC in 1966. He was, successively, a 707 and 747 co-pilot and then a captain on the VC10 before being selected to be a Concorde captain.
He remained on the Concorde fleet until retirement, and was a Route Check Captain. The magnificent supersonic airliner was the love of his aviation life and Concorde fans (like me) will find the tales from the sharp end interesting, informative and enjoyable.

Those who have the privilege of knowing John 'Hutch' won't be surprised by his own description of his distinguished career: "I have never worked in my life. I've been paid to enjoy my hobby in the company of some of the finest people I have ever met - my fellow aircrew."

His very interesting life hasn't been all happiness. He's experienced tragedy and great sadness, and some genuinely 'near death' experiences - not only in aviation. I don't exaggerate. Just two examples:
In 1968, after only about 18 months with BOAC, he was Second Officer on BOAC Flight 712 (http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/311275-ba712-boac-b707-crash-heathrow-1968-a.html) in which five people died at Heathrow.
In 1984, John, his wife and two friends were captured and held captive by pirates while on a sailing holiday in the Caribbean. I won't go into detail here, but what was done to John and to his wife before they managed to overpower their evil captors makes harrowing reading.

John has always given back to the profession that gave him so much pleasure and his contributions to aviation over many years were recognised in 1999 when he was elected Master of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (http://www.gapan.org). He remains an active, highly respected and very popular 'Past Master' of GAPAN.

A great airman, who has flown more than 70 types, he is now happy flying the Auster Aiglet in which he bought a share shortly before he retired. Having spent 15 years flying at 23 miles per minute, he describes being overtaken by family cars on the motorway below as 'rather humbling'.
Retiring from professional flying hasn't meant slowing down in any other sense - he is much in demand internationally as an aviation consultant, expert witness, broadcaster and speaker.

In his Foreword, former BOAC captain Lord Tebbit describes the book as a 'must read' for anyone interested in aviation, Concorde and the history and times of the second half of the twentieth century.
I agree.

Very highly recommended. :ok:

M2dude
28th Jun 2011, 10:17
A superbly interesting read, written about arguably the most eloquent of all Concorde pilot speakers.

One of life's true gentleman and a superb pilot, it is a long overdue biography, well done Hutch.

Best Regards
Dude :O.

speedbirdconcorde
28th Jun 2011, 16:00
Very much looking forward to reading this....

Cheers,

d

AirResearcher
28th Jun 2011, 16:44
Excellent, I will have to purchase this. I met Capt. Hutchinson on G-BOAC LHR-IAD in 1993 when I was very privileged to visit the flight deck, really nice guy - and what a view from his 'office'!

Flying Lawyer
28th Jun 2011, 20:37
I don't know if the book is available in bookshops yet. I ordered mine direct from the publisher.
They have an introductory offer at the moment, but I don't know how long that will last.
Google 'Speedman Press'.

Tudor

Jane-DoH
29th Jun 2011, 06:35
I think I'll order that book...

Feathers McGraw
2nd Jul 2011, 12:20
Received my copy this morning, will have to put it down to go to Waddington tomorrow, but an interesting read so far. I had no idea of the upheavals in John's early life, so it's been a voyage of discovery even in the first part of the book.

Heliport
5th Jul 2011, 17:17
Signed first edition?

If you are going to the Flying Legends airshow at Duxford this weekend, John Hutchinson and the author will be available to sign the book at the 'Aviation Bookshop' stand on Sunday.

H.

newt
5th Jul 2011, 21:44
Yeh and while your there you can get a signed copy of The Lightning Boys !! :ok:

Flying Lawyer
6th Jul 2011, 14:27
A WIWOL and WIWOC meet? ;)

ChristiaanJ
9th Jul 2011, 20:04
Where can I order this?
Followed the earlier links but it seems there was only a limited print run, with all the remaining copies now on the way to Duxford for the 'signing event'.....

CJ

stilton
12th Jul 2011, 07:21
Likewise, I have not been able to find where I can order this book online.

Amazon, for example is a dead end.:uhoh:

John Hutchinson
12th Jul 2011, 14:02
The 1st edition of the book had a limited print run (200 copies). It is only available through SpeedMan Press Web Site (http://www.speedmanpress.co.uk) or email [email protected] There are still a few copies left and the 2nd edition should be available late September 2011.

stilton
13th Jul 2011, 05:13
As much as I would like a copy it's a bit dear for me at present.

Any chance it will be available more widely and a little lower priced on it's second printing ?

Feathers McGraw
13th Jul 2011, 23:25
Pleased to see John pop up here, I've reached the early 60s in the book and after reading of his various near-death experiences so far I was a bit worried that he wasn't going to make it to the end! :D

John Hutchinson
14th Jul 2011, 06:45
Yes I'm still hanging on!

BSAA1947
22nd Jul 2011, 21:15
... and what an absolutely fascinating life story it's been so far John! The book is an excellent read, beautifully written by Susan Ottaway and difficult to put down.

Helol
22nd Jul 2011, 21:20
Damn, the website states they are now out of stock.

John Hutchinson
30th Jul 2011, 18:48
Please don't despair; the 2nd edition will be coming out late September. It is due to be printed in Hong Kong and it will be a much larger print run.
We only did a limited run of 200 copies for the 1st edition as we were not sure the book would have any appeal. I think the quality of Susan Ottaway's writing has ensured that it does in fact have appeal!

ian.whalley
31st Jul 2011, 09:00
It could well be that Aviators and those interested in Aviation find the life of the subject and his achievements to be of considerable interest.
:)

IO540
16th Aug 2011, 11:02
I see Amazon are taking orders for September delivery. I've ordered one :ok:

Was on one of the last Concorde flights in 2003. An amazing machine.

John Hutchinson
29th Sep 2011, 11:09
The second edition is progressing; it is being printed in Hong Kong. The date has slipped a bit though; it looks as though it will be available late October.

T-21
29th Sep 2011, 19:13
I too have ordered thru Amazon really looking forward to this book.

BSAA1947
16th Nov 2011, 13:42
I have twice posted messages about this book for those waiting to get a copy, but on both occasions my messages were (presumably) blocked by moderators, although if that is the case I was not contacted and therefore have no idea why.

So, one last attempt and perhaps it'll be third time lucky!

I simply wanted to inform people that this book is now available once again from the publisher's website (Speedman Press). If you have been waiting for it to be available I would urge you to move fast as I've been told it is proving very popular.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Nov 2011, 15:13
Why don't they sell it through Amazon?

BSAA1947
16th Nov 2011, 16:33
They do, but unfortunately Amazon are incredibly inefficient when it comes to updating their site once books are available. For that reason, if you want the book soon it's best to get it straight from Speedman Press.

No doubt Amazon will sort themselves out at some stage, but it's anyone's guess when!

ChristiaanJ
16th Nov 2011, 16:55
BSA1947,
I did order my copy from the publisher a few weeks ago, in the end, and have just received it a couple of days ago.

Ordering wa straightforward, but of course I don't know how many copies they have left.

CJ

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Nov 2011, 17:00
Ah! I see Amazon now do sell it. Just 4 copies left as I post this.

Flying Lawyer
6th Dec 2011, 07:31
stilton As much as I would like a copy it's a bit dear for me at present.

Amazon has dropped lots of prices in the run up to Christmas.
The book is currently £18.87 & free delivery (UK)

A bargain. :ok:
I paid full price (£29.95 + postage) for my copy and thought it was worth every penny.

FL

AN2 Driver
12th Dec 2011, 00:15
Got my copy last week. Great book, super to read. Very open, honest and matter of fact about many things that most of us would not even consider to talk about.

Thank you John for sharing your life with us in this book!

:D

Heliport
13th Dec 2011, 07:13
Very open, honest and matter of fact about many things that most of us would not even consider to talk about.

I agree.
Most of us would not have had the courage to mention those events and they are, as you say, dealt with in a very open, honest and matter of fact way.

H.

Ocean Person
14th Dec 2011, 04:46
John Hutchinson;

I have sent you a PM regarding an old friend. Regards.

OP.

T-21
15th Dec 2011, 19:18
Wife has my copy will have to wait till Christmas Day. Amazon kindly gave a refund as the price has come down wife very pleased :hmm:

Wander00
15th Dec 2011, 19:45
T21 - on my Crippy present list too, from up the South American river

merv32249213
28th Dec 2011, 07:16
John
Started reading your book ,very honest. Was at at McAlpines 61/66 as an inspector supervisor and have other memories that you may or not recall that are still in my head.
Early morning, laying down in the grass to kill a partridge and finished up with nothing but a heavily pelleted bunch of feathers.

Doing a hovering balancing act with the company Rapide whilst I marshalled you in ,scared the pants off me.

One query, after you had your Helicopter crash, did your transport have a bump with a local candidate for the elections, Driver a Lady someone??

Have some good memories of Macs,thanks again ,now where did I put my glasses so I can read more.
Mervyn Tew

millerscourt
28th Dec 2011, 12:13
Flying Lawyer

I think you will find that Tebitt was a F/O in BOAC not a Captain.

T-21
29th Dec 2011, 13:45
Still reading but what a nice honest book full of highs and lows of a busy life. I like the quotations at each chapter and the style of photograph presentation. Essential reading for anyone contemplating an airline life but it has changed drastically since the fun days. :ok:

John Hutchinson
14th Feb 2012, 15:27
You are correct. Lord Tebbit (or Norman Tebbit as I knew him in BOAC) was a Senior First Officer on the verge of doing his Command Course when he stood for Parliament and ended up being elected as a MP. The rest, as they say, is history. I am especially grateful to Norman for writing the foreword to the book bearing in mind his busy schedule.

John Hutchinson
19th Feb 2012, 11:41
Nice to see your comments Mervyn. They were happy days at Macs. Yes I did have a bump with someone and it was a Lady (I had better leave her name out of it but she lived near Offley). My brother in law was the Vicar at Boroughbridge for a number of years and now lives at Nun Monkton so we come up that way quite often. Time for a drink now; cheers!

Helol
25th Feb 2012, 22:21
Finally got round to ordering my copy on Amazon. I look forward to reading it.

John Hutchinson
8th Jun 2012, 16:27
If anyone is going to Farnborough I will be there doing a book signing on Monday 9th. Further details to follow once I know the precise location and timings!

FlightstigSteve
16th Aug 2013, 04:04
I have this book on my wishlist at Amazon and hope to buy it very soon. I was inspired to buy the SSTSIM Concorde add-on for my Flight Sim by the video of John Hutchinson and his team operating a Concorde flight on youtube. It looked like a rush, so I'm trying to learn more about this wonderful piece of kit myself.

So far, after a steep learning curve I've managed to achieve a Mach 2 cruise climb just south of Ireland heading out on the North Atlantic track and hope to learn the descent, app and landing procedures over the next few days.

What a magic aircraft this was....