PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded DVT!!!! HELP!!!!!!

MrFixer!!!
27th Jun 2011, 20:59
Hi all, I have been recently diagnosed with the DVT & thrombophlebitis!!! :{ Now on daily Tinzaparin injection,Warfarin and blood tests every 4th day. hospital says 3 months treatment should be fine....private consultant says atleast 6 months!!! CAA has temporarily suspended my Class 1 Medical. I was just about to start my CPL/IR but this has taken priority now!!!

Is there anyone out there who's had first hand experience of this dreadful thing??? And I would like to know how likely it is to re-occur?? Considering the risks of getting it again are quite high....I might have to reconsider the career change option !!!:{ If anyone ever had it how soon did they get their Class 1 back? and what do they do to prevent it happening again???

P.S.- I would really appreciate some help with this....its not easy to let go of something we love doing most!!!! :sad:

Qwikstop
3rd Jul 2011, 16:46
Depends on the circumstances. If there was a precipitating cause that is no longer present eg trauma, surgery, immobilisation etc then the risk of recurrence is low. If there is an ongoing risk factor such as smoking, advancing age, medication etc then the risk is higher. There are certain inherited causes (thrombophilia) that also push up the risk.

The duration of anticoagulation will depend on the risk of recurrence.

MrFixer!!!
3rd Jul 2011, 21:50
Thanks a lot Qwickstop!!! It is very re-assuring indeed. :ok:

I will somehow manage to get over it in this instance,but I am more concerned about the repetition.

I am being referred to Haematologist to find out any underlying cause because I didn't have any surgery or trauma, only a long haul flight recently (that too not exactly ultra long haul)!!!

I am just worried, any repeat occurence & that will be an end to flying!! Well that's what I heard anyway!!! Can't find any specific info from CAA though!!!

Thanks!!!

wondering
5th Jul 2011, 20:12
Assuming 34 is your real age chances are high you are suffering some sort of thrombophilia. Are there DVTs events in your family? Have you been checked for Factor-V-Leiden?

For your own benefit you might have to stay on anticoagulation therapy permanently. No job is worth risking your life.

Presently, under JAR FCL-3 this means you are unable to hold a medical. With EASA medical regs around the corner (if you are optimistic) you should be able to obtain a medical with a MCL (multi crew limitation)

In case you consider a FAA licence; under FAR you are able to hold a special issuance medical.

Good luck.