PDA

View Full Version : All-inclusive PPL training in the USA

caspian.merlin
26th Jun 2011, 10:22
I read a few months ago about a flight school in the USA that offers an all-inclusive price for the PPL training, including board and lodging - it came to a few thousand dollars.

Anyone happen to know offhand where this is?

ct8282
26th Jun 2011, 21:01
EFT (European Flight Training) at Fort pierce offer this.

Look back through my threads and you'll see a very comprehensive review on EFT. I c came back 6 weeks ago from having completed my PPL there in 18 days from start to finish and can highly recommend this FTO.

Absolutely make sure you get your theory exams done before you go otherwise you'll have a very stressful ride indeed!!

Ask for Anders Waerling as your instructor :)

BackPacker
26th Jun 2011, 21:35
If they offer an "all-inclusive" price, read the fine print. It will almost definitely not include:
The flight to the USA
TSA fees, VISA fees, medical fees
Meals
CAA license issue fees

And possibly the price is quoted for a basic package including 45 hours C152. If you want to fly a different aircraft, if you overrun the three weeks accomodation, if you overrun the 45 hours, if you require extra ground tuition, or fail the first pass at each exam, you'll probably have to pay extra anyway.

On the other hand the package may include a pilots bag filled with stuff that can be bought cheaper elsewhere, or is not needed anyway (like two rulers and three protractors).

So a pay-as-you-go scheme may well work out to be cheaper in the end.

XLC
26th Jun 2011, 23:47
EFT is actually a pay-as-you-go scheme. No fine print, it was all pretty much upfront. My own experience at EFT (March 2010) was all in all a very good one as well (see review).

The review of Backpacker for training in general is very useful if you want to get your PPL in one go in the USA. At the end of the day the basic costs are more or less the same for all schools, so do not expect to find a bargain and if you do then do read the fine print indeed.

BobD
28th Jun 2011, 15:35
I went to EASA in Florida, who offer this type of package. You can look at this thread to learn more:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/437302-usa-ppl-training.html?highlight=BobD

or read the blog I wrote (with pictures) whilst I was training:

Florida Blog (http://www.rjdawson.co.uk/flying/blog)

Hope this helps

Sam Rutherford
2nd Jul 2011, 17:01
There are many JAA schools in the US - do a google; or search this site.

I personally would advise against doing your exams in advance - you are going to have loads of evening time out there to study, and a lot of the information makes more sense once you are flying (less abstract if you can relate it to real situations).

I would additionally advise you doing your night rating at the same time (for the same time/availability/weather advantages). You can be clever, for instance, and do the instrument required time at night (so getting towards 2 required minimums but paying just one).

Fly safe, enjoy, Sam.

jkveenstra
2nd Jul 2011, 18:08
There are many JAA schools in the US - do a google; or search this site.

Not that many: five to be precise.

I personally would advise you to do the ground exams (or a part of it) in advance if you have time available. I did the exams and flying in the same period. Due to this, I was not able to enjoy the country (USA) that much. It's just what you would prefer to do with your spare time. On the other hand, the total time I spent on my PPL was very efficient and doing the exams and flying simultaneously helps you to understand a large part of the theoretical subjects.

But, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to the US with all the exams already passed. In that case I could have enjoyed the country more.

jkveenstra
2nd Jul 2011, 22:36
Call me a cynic but when a new poster asks a question that has been asked a hundred times previously and then doesn't come back and respond within a few days I take it to be a timewaster - and you end up talking to yourself !!!

Good point.

Whopity
3rd Jul 2011, 10:34
You can be clever, for instance, and do the instrument required time at night (so getting towards 2 required minimums but paying just one).No you cannot. Firstly, there is no Instrument required time for a JAA PPL see the application form Para 6 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1105FFenabled.pdf) Secondly, the Night Qualification is 5 hours "in addition" to the basic PPL requirements.

Sam Rutherford
4th Jul 2011, 07:54
Whilst the instrument time is not a 'requirement' - as I understand it all 'responsible' schools do a small amount as part of the syllabus.

Given that 'nobody' manages the absolute minimum of hours (indeed, many have already logged 50, 60 or even more hours before their checkride) if some of them were done at night, then they will count towards a night rating...

And even if not, I do think it makes sense to get the night rating immediately (it is worth noting that the FAA system has no proviso for a private cert without night).

Cheers, Sam.

mad_jock
4th Jul 2011, 08:18
Thats not quite correct sam, there are plenty out there that did thier PPL in the min hours.

I did my night qual as part of my PPL in the 45 hours. Mind you the standard of the training I only learned later on while doing my FIC was pants.

And while working as an instructor I also did quite a few 45hour's PPL full time courses.

Its very dependent of where you did your training and the enviroment that you are in and also what the breaks between lessons were and of course ability.