PDA

View Full Version : ATPL conversion

Dr Esteban
24th Jun 2011, 09:17
Hello all,

Could anyone tell me what is required to convert a JAA ATPL to a CASA ATPL?

I get some contradicting information from various sources and also understand
that the rules recently have been changed.

Thank you in advance.

Aussie
24th Jun 2011, 09:25
Best to check with casa mate, theyll tell you exactly what required.. just a phone call away or send them an email....

It will be much easier then going the other way, rest assured....

Artificial Horizon
24th Jun 2011, 10:18
Whoa mate are you in for some fun. I converted my licence about two years ago now when the process was about to change, it still hasn't changed though.

First, print off the applications on the CASA website to obtain an ARN (aviation reference number) and a Certificate of Validation (CoV). For the CoV application you will have to send copies of your logbook (last 12 pages sufficient) + copies of any information about type ratings you want on the CoV. The CoV is needed purely to allow you to undertake the IR flight test that will be required later on down the line. The problem with the CoV is that it is only valid for a few months (can't remember how long) so you have to time it so that it is valid during your time in OZ when undertaking the flight test. The ARN just becomes your number for all communications with CASA and for booking your exams.

Second, you will have to pass exams in CPL Airlaw, ATPL Airlaw and finally the IREX (IR theory exam). Best achieved through self study, you can purchase a good course with practice exams from Advanced Flight Theory (http://www.aft.com.au) . Big problem is you need sh*t loads of books that you will use only for the exams and then are redundant. You really need your own copies though as you will want to highlight things. The books cost about $600 aussie if you want to purchase and then about $400 to get it all sent to the UK. They are all available online from CASA but there are thousands of pages to print out. I studied for about 2 months before heading to Oz where I completed all three exams over 1 week. Big problem with doing it this way is you can't book all three exams before you arrive in Oz because there is a stupid rule that says you can't book ATPL Airlaw or the IREX until you have a pass mark registered on the computer for CPL Airlaw. You can't just do ATPL Airlaw and must complete the CPL subject first :ugh: Also if you fail an of the exams at first attempt there is a stand down period of 7 days before you can resit. So if you have the time to spread the three exams out it is not a bad idea. There is alot of info to cram in for the exams but they are certainly achievable with a bit of study and loads of practice exams.

Thirdly, the flying part of the conversion requires you to complete an IR test in a multi-engine aircraft. I went to Ad Astral in Perth to complete this straight after my exams and did two sessions in a FNPT2 training, a practice flight in a Duchess and then the IR test. They have loads of guys through like you and me and are very good at just ticking off the requirements in an enjoyable and efficient manner.

Last, present your exam credits, IR test form and ATPL application with copies of any typeratings you want included to CASA with a big check and then wait god knows how long for the licence to arrive.

The whole process is a total pain in the arse and CASA have some odd rules that are totally pointless. They made me do an english proficiency test ($99) because my UK ATPL just said English Proficient with no level attached. My CoV was seriously delayed as they won't issue it untill the UK CAA has confirmed you qualifications (32 quid). The exam system is very unfriendly and takes a bit to get your head around. It took me in total two weeks in Perth to knock the whole lot off but as I said I did a lot of preparation before I left the UK. Don't forget to obtain your CASA medical which can be done with Dr Cranston near Luton.

As an aside there is a much easier way to do it!! I would have completed it this way but the timing didn't quite work. Get your New Zealand ATPL, which is a simple process requiring a pass in NZ ATPL Airlaw and a LPC in the simulator for your current aircraft type if it is over 5,700kg. I assume since you are location EGSS you are either 737 or A320 rated. Both sims are available through Air NZ at Air NZ Aviation Institute (http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/) . Once complete your NZ ATPL is directly transferable to a CASA ATPL just by filling in a form. It works out cheaper overall, avoids the piston flying and the three exams!! Check out Aviation Services Ltd (http://www.aviation.co.nz/) for info on getting your UK licence assessed and Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand (http://www.caa.govt.nz) for info on transferring to an OZ atpl.

Good Luck:ok:

Artificial Horizon
24th Jun 2011, 10:27
I should have said, the IREX and IR part of the converison are ONLY required if you have never held an Aussie IR before. If you have held one previously even if 10 years lapsed then you don't need to do the IREX and IR Flight Test.

Dr Esteban
26th Jun 2011, 08:41
AH, Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive reply.

I like your suggestion of going down the NZ route, it sounds much more straightforward and obviously cheaper.
Frankly, I got a bit depressed reading the first part of your reply on doing it the Ozzie way... way too much hassle.

Cheers.

maverick22
26th Jun 2011, 09:19
Still sounds easier than converting the other way around :suspect:

Tinstaafl
26th Jun 2011, 18:35
It is. Converting to a UK ATPL from an Oz ATPL was a pain in the arse compared to going the other way. 15 exams - and that's with a credit against Morse Code due to holding a foreign IR. Exams only available during preset exam periods. Two flight tests (initial issue of a professional licence + initial issue IR) and both have to be with the CAA with their exorbitant fees. It was something like 600 quid for each test when I did it 10 years ago - and that doesn't include the aircraft cost nor the instructor recommendation/class rating beforehand.

And how about the Initial issue Class 1 medical? What a WOFTAM. Expensive & must be done at the Belgrano. At least I managed to find a way to avoid most of it by getting the bulk of the investigations done in Oz and then bringing the reports & transcripts to the UK.

CFD
28th Jun 2011, 01:21
I did mine about 3 years ago - Ah has summed it up perfectly.
Re the COV - CAA was a pain in the *** releasing my details, and took a long time.The CASA guy dealing with it was going spare and said they were the worst he had come across!
Re the exams and studying - the most useful bit of advice I could give you is study the official docs intensivly, its not about knowing the information, its about being to find it quickly!