PDA

View Full Version : RW UAV down in Libya

Torque Tonight
21st Jun 2011, 14:18
BBC News - Libya conflict: Nato loses drone helicopter (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13856175)

UAV helo down in Libya. Apparently its next of kin, a flymo from Droitwich and a Dyson from Toxteth, have been informed.

BEagle
21st Jun 2011, 14:25
He used the 'D-word'!

That'll upset the Royal Aeromodelling Force in Vegas.....

Never mind, I'm sure that Airfix can soon send NATO another drone helicopter.

FODPlod
21st Jun 2011, 14:31
US Navy MQ-8 Fire Scout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_MQ-8_Fire_Scout) by the look and sound of it.

shawshank
21st Jun 2011, 16:06
any news on the crew?

Fire 'n' Forget
21st Jun 2011, 16:15
Hope they were wearing all the correct flying gear :cool:

Bob Viking
21st Jun 2011, 16:25
I can't believe you guys are all being so flippant.
A valuable piece of military hardware is destroyed and you all start making jokes about it.
Machines have feelings too you know.
What is the world coming to?!
BV:E

BOAC
21st Jun 2011, 16:46
That's all you ever get on this forum - Drone, Drone, Drone...................

Geehovah
21st Jun 2011, 17:16
All I can say is I lost a Predator on one of my watches at the BCAOC. It was just as exciting/traumatic/challenging as any loss of a manned aircraft I experienced.

BEagle
21st Jun 2011, 17:23
Traumatic? That's an outrageous insult to all those killed during military operations. A drone spears in = big deal, loss of an asset but no-one died. No padre visiting grieving relatives, no C-17 arriving with a flag draped coffin....

Dengue_Dude
21st Jun 2011, 19:33
All I can say is I lost a Predator on one of my watches

Careless bugger, it's not as if they're little, how can you lose it?

Mind you, I keep forgetting where I've parked the car, perhaps that's your problem . . . what were we talking about?

MightyGem
21st Jun 2011, 19:36
All I can say is I lost a Predator on one of my watches at the BCAOC. It was just as exciting/traumatic/challenging as any loss of a manned aircraft I experienced.
I think you need to get out more. Actually as a drone operator, you definitely need to get out more.

Trogger
21st Jun 2011, 19:50
Skynet is not happy....

Romeo Oscar Golf
21st Jun 2011, 20:33
Apparently its next of kin, a flymo from Droitwich and a Dyson from Toxteth, have been informed
Very droll TT......made me laugh.:ok:

Chinny Crewman
21st Jun 2011, 20:54
F**k off mate I do hope you are fishing for a bite and if so you are even sadder than if you are being serious!

racedo
21st Jun 2011, 22:01
Skynet is not happy....

You bad :p

FODPlod
21st Jun 2011, 23:51
Libya: Nato deny Gaddafi troops shot down unmanned drone (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8590077/Libya-Nato-deny-Gaddafi-troops-shot-down-unmanned-drone.html)
An attack helicopter which Libyan government forces claimed to have shot down on Tuesday was a new type of unmanned drone, United States defence sources said. A Nato spokesman denied that enemy fire had brought down the MQ-8B Fire Scout, a small helicopter equipped with cameras and sensors for surveillance flights of naval ships. Contact with it was lost early on Tuesday in Libya's central coastal area...

Throughout the day on Tuesday Libyan state television repeatedly broadcast images of what appeared to be aircraft wreckage, including shots of a red rotor and close-ups of markings in English. A spokesman claimed that an Apache ground attack helicopter had been downed in Zlitan, a town 85 miles east of the capital.The Libyan government has repeatedly claimed to have shot down aircraft, including five Apaches, which have been flown by British pilots on ground attack missions since last month...

Thomas coupling
23rd Jun 2011, 13:03
T Tonite: that made me laugh so much....very good.

The father of the UAV (a push bike with wings), said his family were autonomous in saying that they were in pieces and if there was a remote chance that the batteries could be returned - it would be something.
A DoD spokesperson said he was a joy(stick) to work with.

maxburner
24th Jun 2011, 07:38
Thanks for the chuckle TT. I'm sure I ought to be offended.............

Lonewolf_50
24th Jun 2011, 12:29
The drone was probably shot down by a bored USAF F-16 pilot trying to live out a Dos Gringos song. :E

(If you are unfamiliar with Dos Gringos, they put out a disc full of irreverant songs about flying Vipers, to include "I Shot Down A Predator").