PDA

View Full Version : Pitts accident

3 way valve
20th Jun 2011, 23:58
From Prime News last night

Click Here (http://tamworth.iprime.com.au/index.php/news/prime-news/pilot-recovers-video)

One of Australia's most experienced aerobatic stunt performers is recovering in hospital after a show went horribly wrong. Lucky to be alive Phil Unicomb has been flown to a Newcastle Hospital and faces a long road to recovery after breaking his back

slackie
21st Jun 2011, 01:39
Oooo ouch! Mother Earth aint that forgiving! Sad to see the demise of another S2, but good to see it wasn't fatal! Very Lucky!

VH-XXX
21st Jun 2011, 01:55
That's one more low level aerobatic waiver that will now be pulled. There are not many of them left out there now and certainly not likely to be any more issued now!

Old Akro
21st Jun 2011, 02:15
I've seen worse damaged Pitts that that rebuilt. Not sure what the attempted manouvre was, but it it effectively looks like a heavy landing with the bulk of the damage caused by the ground loop, not the "landing". Fair bit of press beat up I think.

Handswing
21st Jun 2011, 02:58
I watched it happen and it looked like a high speed stall too low down to me. I happened fast, obviously, and I was not close, so I could be wrong. The authorities will tell us in time. They are very good. I hope Phil's injuries are not bad.

VH-XXX
21st Jun 2011, 03:32
It was supposed to be the Drunk Pilot routine where he does silly things and was supposed to come close to or "kiss" the ground. Unfortunately for him and the aircraft it was more of a deep-throat kiss.

Jabawocky
21st Jun 2011, 04:23
I know of a nice single seat Pitts you could buy Slacko, PM me if you are interested. :ok:

Hope he recovers OK, as well as you can after that. Will be a long hard road.

aldee
21st Jun 2011, 04:47
Faark Phil :eek:

One of a very few men I've felt completley comfortable with in an aeroplane, he wears an S2 like no one else I know

Speedy recovery dude

Aerodynamisist
21st Jun 2011, 07:47
I doubt his low level waiver will be pulled XXX all the required buffer distances to the crowd looked to be in place on the video, The guy is a professional and I would be very surprised if any such action is taken against him.

Hope he recovers quickly, And we see him back in the air soon.

slackie
21st Jun 2011, 08:05
Here's the full accident footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9GTHs6N0s

Thanks for the offer Jaba... but all my toys need to be "family" oriented... that means no single seaters!!:ugh:

VH-XXX
21st Jun 2011, 08:07
Nothing to do with the crowd, moreso the low level waiver for the safety of the pilot. A couple of years back they (CASA) weren't renewing ground level waivers but seem to have slowly give them back again. Sure, accidents can happen but by dropping the ground level waivers the chances of incident are reduced, including this accident. It was the Moon and Boorman fatalities that instigated the last changes.

Looking at that footage he is bloody unlucky to have received any significant injuries.

We need our resident low level stall crash expert, Planky. My 2 cents says that the engine cut out in the climb but hard to know if a. The pushover was intentional at that altitude and b. With the speed of sound, did it actually cut out in the climb. Without having seen the routine prior, it would be hard to know.

maverick22
21st Jun 2011, 08:26
Unfortunately for him and the aircraft it was more of a deep-throat kiss.

Haha that's gold:D On the other hand, hope the pilot has a quick recovery.

Wanderin_dave
21st Jun 2011, 08:27
XXX - I hope they're still approving them, mine should be in the mail. I'll let you know.

I know of two that were approved in April, one of those was approved down to ground level.

All the best to Phil, hope the recovery is a quick one.

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Jun 2011, 09:47
Here's the full accident footage.

Looked like a pretty straight forward fluck-up to me!

Dr :8

Capt Fathom
21st Jun 2011, 09:58
Looked to me like a control / cg problem.

Runaway Gun
21st Jun 2011, 20:59
Get well soon Phil :(

castrol
21st Jun 2011, 22:14
Hope Phil recovers well and soon,

Over the years, we've all seen the "legends" thin out and I'm glad to hear that Phil is eating hospital food.

Col Pay, Guido Zucolli, Pip Borrman, Tom Moon, Alan Daff, Barry Hempel and many more of our brothers and sisters have proven that high levels of experience won't insulate you from disaster.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thats learnt from and been inspired by these people...either directly or indirectly.

Old mate said to me once "you keep doing that it'll get ya". I reckon he's right.

Thou shalt maintain thy airspeed...lest the ground come up and smite thee

sms777
22nd Jun 2011, 11:35
Hey Phil!
You are still with us, that's what matters.
Speedy recovery buddy! :ok:

peterc005
24th Jun 2011, 05:55
Good news, sounds like Phil Unicomb is recovering well:

Injured pilot to have surgery - Local News - News - General - Northern Daily Leader (http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/news/local/news/general/injured-pilot-to-have-surgery/2202525.aspx)

Injured pilot to have surgery
22 Jun, 2011 04:00 AM
By Jodie Davies
A PILOT who was injured when the aircraft crashed during an exhibition at Barraba will undergo surgery today in a Newcastle hospital.

The stunt plane, which was being flown by Phil Unicomb, has been inspected by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and taken back to Rutherford Airport, near Maitland. It was transported by truck and has been described as a “wreck”.

The aircraft crashed at the Barraba Action Aerobatics Display on Sunday when it dropped 30 metres and hit the runway.

Mr Unicomb, who has more than 30 years’ flying experience and who has accrued more than 11,000 flying hours, was to have an operation to repair damage to vertebrae in his back.

Event organiser Shirley Taylor, who is a relative of Mr Unicomb’s, said his injuries were not as bad as first thought.

She said he was on his way to recovering and that the crash was the first in his long flying career.

outofwhack
25th Jun 2011, 04:32
Get well soon Phil.
Bad days happen to us all. Just glad nobody was there to see mine recently.

Baaaaah!

slowbus
25th Jun 2011, 15:09
Wish him a speedy recovery! He is one of the most interesting instructors I've ever flown with.