PDA

View Full Version : Sid Marshall's DH.89

cowl flaps
20th Jun 2011, 10:01
Can someone tell me what the rego of Sid Marshall's DH 84 was ? My first ever flight was in this aircraft with the parramatta air league. Also, did this bird end up in pommy land ?

Scion
20th Jun 2011, 20:41
Not sure he had a DH89 Dragon Rapide but he certainly had a DH84 Dragon which did go eventually to Pommie land via the chalinor bros in Qland and is now flying with Henry Labouchier {I think that is the way to spell his name} . You will see it at each moth Club event in England.

Feather #3
20th Jun 2011, 21:18
Henry Labouchere flies and maintains the Dragon for Sir Torquil Norman.

Sid didn't have a DH-89 but used to do the joyflights in the Dragon and DC-2 from the southern corner of BK; my first flight was in the DC-2!

G'day ;)

Fris B. Fairing
20th Jun 2011, 22:12
cowl flaps

Perhaps VH-AQU (http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austa2/VH-AQU.html)

Frank Arouet
21st Jun 2011, 00:06
but used to do the joyflights in the Dragon and DC-2 from the southern corner of BK

I don't recall any DC2's doing joyflights during my time as an airport kid, but he operated Avro Ansons in conjunction with the Dragon near Milperra Bridge. With careful negotiation one could get a free ride if you wound the undercarriage up and down on the Anson. (1.5 million turns from memory).

Feather #3
21st Jun 2011, 05:50
Frank,

Have a look at VH-ADZ Douglas DC-2 (http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-3/vh-adz/vhadz.html)

G'day ;)

PS IAP want her back in the air and form a DC-2/3/4 formation! I'd like to see that!!:D

Frank Arouet
21st Jun 2011, 06:13
Interesting. I never saw the DC2 in operation doing joyflights. I wasn't old enough to spell DC2 in 1949. I know it was parked near De Havilland for quiet some time.

Incidentaly there was a DC 2.5 that should be put into the 2-3-4 formation. I'd like to see that, they made only one due war necessity.

cowl flaps
21st Jun 2011, 11:49
Sorry everyone,- it wasn't a Rapide but a DH84 Dragon as suggested.

As an aside, does anyone remember in the late 1960's he did joy flights in a Puss Moth. I seem to remember the seating was a single pilot and two pax seats behind him.
All so long ago now.

mustafagander
21st Jun 2011, 12:27
Oops, got it wrong!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Jun 2011, 13:38
Hi Frank,
I member the DC-2 doing joy flights from the Milperra Bridge corner. I went on it once, can't remember the cost, must have been a couple of 'quid' then.
The disappointment of the day was that instead of going Harbour Bridge return, he went to Cronulla return - ATC!!

He also had that very small 'Penguin' airframe, with what appeared to be a motor cycle engine, and he would start that up as a 'crowd teaser', then flog tickets to the waiting crowd for either the '2', or the Anson.

I had rides in both at various times.

Plus the yard up behind the RACNSW which was just chockas with all sorts of 'bits and pieces', inc. another DC-2 in camoflage, brown / green.

And the Me-109 up in the hangar roof, and all the other types stored, none too carefully, if I remember.....

And, not to omit the small 'Merry-go-Round' made from drop tank halves...
Cheers:ok:

Fris B. Fairing
21st Jun 2011, 21:42
cowl flaps

Sid's Puss Moth was VH-UQB (http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austu/vhuqb.html)

Frank Arouet
22nd Jun 2011, 01:09
I had a ride in the merry go round if that helps.

He had another strange high wing twin, had Pobjoy radials but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Oh. Mate just rang and said he thought it was a Shorts Scion. Sounds about right. Never saw it fly though.

Can't believe anybody hasn't been teased into asking about the DC2.5.

Hint, airlift out of China. (Probably started the slogan, I flew CAAC and survived!)

cowl flaps
22nd Jun 2011, 09:26
Fris B, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

tail wheel
22nd Jun 2011, 09:56
Can't believe anybody hasn't been teased into asking about the DC2.5.

Frank. It is a fairly well known sub specie of the genus "Douglas". Indeed, it was a US military C-32 (DC2) which suffered damage to one wing and the damaged wing was replaced with one serviceable C47/DC3 wing of greater span.

The C-39 was also another interesting "composite".

Do I win? :confused:

mustafagander
22nd Jun 2011, 10:06
Frank A,

Sid had a Shorts Scion in his hangar. It was a bit shabby towards the later years.

Frank Arouet
22nd Jun 2011, 10:41
tail wheel;

You deserve a night on the piss at the School of Tarts. I'll try to be there if I can keep my new steed airborne enough to contemplate the trip. I'm open to suggestions as to a better venue. Perhaps The Swan at Rockvegas. You get a better class of drunk there.

mustafa;

Yes I've had further discusion on the sidelines. Seems it was once a goer. Didn't look like much of an aeroplane though. I guess it's Mother loved it.

tail wheel
22nd Jun 2011, 10:56
The School of Tarts no longer dispenses the amber fluid and whilst I'm ashamed to admit publicly, the Nectar of the Gods has not passed my lips for at least the past three years, resulting in a 20 kg reduction in max TO weight. :}

Jabawocky
22nd Jun 2011, 11:32
Tail lie, that would be BEW, := you should know that ;)

Well done tho :D

fencehopper
29th Jun 2011, 12:19
A couple of photos my mother took that i came across after she passed away. She was a bit of a shutter bug when younger but these are the only two of aircraft. She grew up at Chipping Norton that is close to Bankstown Aerodrome as it was known as back then. I scanned up the sign on the hanger. "Marshall Airlines". Maybe she went for a joy flight. Or this is were she flew to Perth from around this time. She took a lot of good period photos but never dated or tagged them. Hope someone can identify the aircraft and maybe put a firm year to them. These would have been taken around 1950/51 maybe. FHhttp://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g395/ozzieinoz/marshall%20airlines/mr15_011-1.jpg?t=1309349002
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g395/ozzieinoz/marshall%20airlines/mr15_012.jpg?t=1309348701

Frank Arouet
29th Jun 2011, 23:59
The aircraft appear to be DH 82's with the exception of the top RHS shows cowl of a Gypsy Moth. The engine is not inverted. Top photo sure looks like Sid Marshall's hangar at Bankstown, but the lower looks more like an old Mascot hangar.

fencehopper
30th Jun 2011, 12:30
Not a photo but a coaster from the same time. Has a few names of mum's friends listed on back.
Now you have pointed it out the size of of the hanger
I also noticed the bus in the background. City to airport service? Hmm did mum take this photo standing out on the apron area? I wonder what is behind her. DC2/3?
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g395/ozzieinoz/marshall%20airlines/mr15_014.jpg

Scion
2nd Jul 2011, 22:03
Sid did have a Short s16 Scion and it was sold to the Strathallen collection in Scotland some time ago. When that collection was sold it was aquired by the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra in Northern Ireland. Unfortunatly that group is more interested in traditional musical intruments and hand knitted shawls rather that aeroplanes and so it is sitting in a shed close to the Belfast Lough and the Aluminium in the structure is slowly decaying.

The aeroplane on the right seems to have an inverted engine and could be a moth or interestingly a Genairco which was around at thast time.

Other lighties that he had were the Westland Widgeon which was restored by John Gallagher for Dick Smith and now resides in Dick's home at Bowylie . There is an Avro Cadet which was restored by Clin Ashton-Martin and flew recently in the 90th anniversary pagent /pilgimage of the RAAF. At one stage he also had a Foxmoth.

There is a Scion being worked on all be it slowly because of other vintage aeroplane projects and if anyone is interested please let me know.

He also had a Comper Swift VH-UVC which is in the process of being restored with its Pobjoy engine. The Scion also had twin Pobjoys and these present a little difficulty.

chromedoctor
8th Dec 2011, 13:01
I remember the Puss Moth ., Sid was a friend of my dad. Sid's pilot was Ron ., and yes 1 seat up front , 2in the back It was the first plane I flew in at The Entrance Airstrip VH.UQB.. she now resides in a museum in Great Britain:)

runway16
9th Dec 2011, 08:42
I recall the DH80A Puss moth. VH-UQB. I took a flight in it with Sid's resident pilot, Ron Gower, on November 8, 1969. That aircraft is now in the UK.

What happened to Ron I wonder ?
He was one of those old time pilots who looked like he had been flying since the time of the Wright Bros.

I don't recall the cost but the ticket says Marshall Airways.
Bankstown Aerodrome. telephone 701590. Not transferable.
Above the conditions there was a photo of an Anson.

Those were the days.

R16.

YPJT
9th Dec 2011, 08:54
Wow this brings back memories for me. In the early - mid 60s I'd wander through all the hangars and up and down the parking line looking at everything. No one ever got fussed about it. I think my first ever flight was with Marshall's but it was in a 172, not in one of their classic aircraft.

Anyone remember the old weatherboard cafe just accross the road from Marshall Airways hangar that was also a shop and sold aircraft models and the like? They sold the best meat pies and suasage rolls ever. :ok:

I remember in the Marshall hangar was a little single place low wing tail dragger with open cockpit. Anyone know what that was? They used to let us sit in it and pretend to fly. :ok:

They also had a Lockheed 18 back then too.

Yes R16, they were indeed the days.

aroa
9th Dec 2011, 09:31
memories indeed... in late '58 I worked briefly as a 'go-fer' for James Air Services? Taxis, Wally James. He operated a couple of Miles "Gemini" twins.
I scored a couple of flights in them, one up to Tea Gardens nr Newcastle?.
He landed on a tidal flat and before taking off again he paced it out, digging his heels in to check the surface. And it was dog-leg take off run,too
Later he was wiped out? by the DCA crackdown on wooden aircraft.

I was learning to fly in those days and did Tiger spin training out of Bankstown, and soloed in a Champion Tri-Traveller.
It was certainly a hive of industry there then with Gannets, Vampires and all manner of lighties crowding the circuit.
Sid Marshalls was always a drawcard, Nakajima "Oscar", Me 109, DC2., DH 84 and other things with wings.
Also Drovers about and some civvy Mustangs. A Cierva Autogyro too, but I never saw it fly.
Unfortunately I never had a camera in those days.
About the last time I was at Bankstown was out of there in a Lyco re-engined Drover on a ferry flight to the New Hebrides. Again I was just a "helper" for the ferry fuel cocks, but got most of the stick time after airborne. I could tell it was going to be a long trip because on the climb out, we got passed by a C150.!
And by and by a cloud will take it all away.

sixtiesrelic
9th Dec 2011, 09:40
I have a CD copy of sid's home movies of two trips to New Guinea in the Widgeon.
The crappy resolution is balanced by the content. PM me if youu want a copy.

SeldomFixit
10th Dec 2011, 09:43
Chromedoctor - that would be Ron Gower ?

Edited for " read the next post "

Ron was My great Aunts fella - knew him well.

TBM-Legend
10th Dec 2011, 13:20
My second ever flight was in Sid's magic Puss Moth age 9...[first was in TAA DC-4 BNE-SYD]. 'twas a big deal for me...:ok:

Mark Pilkington
1st Dec 2019, 00:48
I have a CD copy of sid's home movies of two trips to New Guinea in the Widgeon.
The crappy resolution is balanced by the content. PM me if youu want a copy.

hello

can anyone put me in contact with Sixtiesrelic - he doesnt appear to have been online for years?

chimbu warrior
1st Dec 2019, 06:27
Sadly he is no longer with us. A great pity as he was an avid photographer and had a truly encyclopedic knowledge of early aviation.

We certainly miss his contribution.

skyways
1st Dec 2019, 12:41
If you need something from sixties’ collection - he was my Dad’s cousin and was heavily involved with our DC-3 operation - we have a lot of his photos/videos stored on hard drives

Mark Pilkington
1st Dec 2019, 19:57
Hello Skyways

sorry to hear of sixties passing, I was hoping to get a copy of his CDs of Sid Marshalls PNG films

(The system wont let me do a PM this morning?)

regards

Mark Pilkington
[email protected]

seafury45
2nd Dec 2019, 07:31
Sid Marshall must have inspired several generations of aviation people. I was a hangar rat at Sid's a bit later than previous posters and he had given up flying by the time I knew him. I used to ride my bicycle out to Bankstown and generally hang around the apron somewhere, and then drool over some of the pieces he had in his yard. Sid was usually up for a chat. A common theme was that he didn't like DCA much. He was very helpful and I wished I had kept notes of some of the things he told me. At the time he was just an eccentric old bloke who had some interesting aeroplanes. It wasn't until later that I learned of some of his exploits.

I also remember the Mustangs -IVI, -BOY and -BOZ. Keith Whitbread (I think from memory) was a nice chap and showed me over -IVI once. It was a great shock when he crashed not long after.

Bit of thread drift. During one of my outings I found the entrance to the underground WWII control centre on the hill overlooking the aerodrome and explored it a bit. There are houses built on it now, I think.

tail wheel
2nd Dec 2019, 23:16
A common theme was that he didn't like DCA much.

Some things go along forever!!!