PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Query

HappyBandit
20th Jun 2011, 00:19
Regarding the Cathay application process, can anyone tell me why they wish to enquire on marriage and child status (including their names)?? Is it possible they may look more favourably on applicants that have no ties so to speak? (Surely not in aviation :hmm:)

Anyway, any other Aussie applicants that have heard from them I would like to hear from you.

Gravox
20th Jun 2011, 00:35
A large portion of Second Officers in Cathay are married, and i doubt they would look favourably on people who are single (they'll take whoever they can get at the moment:E). Cathay use to provide tickets for wives to come to HK when you're being interviewed as they are aware that the wife must also be happy and onside with the move here. Should you be accepted into CX they will have to process the paper work for you, wife, and child to get visas, and organise medical cover etc etc etc. So really it is logical to get all the information at one time rather than doubling up on it.

Study Bunny
20th Jun 2011, 08:28
I think it is purely for immigration and also for the staff travel benefits. When you join all the information is stored online and when you print tickets then the information is there and waiting. I think they are just ahead of themselves.

Whether or not his info helps in the recruitment process - no idea. Don't think so. They are finding it hard to get guys up here with a family because of the housing assistance - or rather the lack of it. It was hard enough coming up here with a few debts back home. It took a short time to pay that off and we were much better off. I can't imagine bringing a family up here in the current conditions. My hat is off to those that can make it work.

Good luck

Captain Dart
20th Jun 2011, 23:17
I hope that you realise what you are applying for, Mr. Bandit. It is a very bad deal, although I'm sure that you have had a good look at the 'Cathay Pacific Cadet Scheme' thread on Fragrant Harbour Wannabes...there is the usual rubbish from idiots but there are genuine posters on that thread who are telling it exactly how it is, or will be...for you.

Housing is of particular concern. A session with Mr. Google searching rents in Hong Kong and what you get for your money will be revealing. If you cope with that, you are also in for years as a Second Officer with an unusable 'P2X' rating, just in case you are planning to go there 'just for the endorsement'.

You are also undercutting existing crew's conditions by taking this 'deal'.
Just so's you know.

notaplanegeek
21st Jun 2011, 01:18
Captain Dart A session with Mr. Google searching rents in Hong Kong and what you get for your money will be revealing. If you cope with that, you are also in for years as a Second Officer with an unusable 'P2X' rating, just in case you are planning to go there 'just for the endorsement'.

I am interested on why you say it is unusable. An endorsement is an endorsement isn't it? Or are you saying its possible to have an endo with only half the boxes ticket on the form?

Captain Dart
21st Jun 2011, 01:30
You will know all the aircraft systems, but it is basically a 'cruise copilot' endorsement (NOT 'cruise captain'). You do not do takeoffs and landings in the real aircraft (base training) or do a formal 'zero flight time' full P1 or P2 rating. Should you leave CX (bond...erm I mean 'forgiveable loan' permitting) before you upgrade to 'Junior' First Officer, when you get a full rating, you would be unemployable.

You could not, for example, approach CASA and have your Hong Kong P2X rating put on your Aussie licence for a job with Virgin or Jetstar.

I'll stay one step ahead of the mods and suggest to all that a good perusal of Fragrant Harbour Wannabes is in order; most answers to your questions can be found there.

Good luck (you'll need it),

Larry Dart.

mcgrath50
21st Jun 2011, 01:52
Cap. Dart,

Do QF VAus etc. give their SOs/Cruise FOs a full rating or ones like what Cathay hand out?

kalavo
21st Jun 2011, 04:51
Cathay's P2X rating isn't type specific like the Co-pilot endorsements in Australia. Obviously your training is on the particular type, but the P2X technically covers you for any type above 20,000', it's as about as useful as "Single Engine <5700kg" when you want to get a jet job outside Hong Kong

Study Bunny
21st Jun 2011, 07:28
The P2X rating as an SO is not worth much. However if Cathay has paid for this rating and much of the training why not take it and then use your own money to get it upgraded to a P1 endorsement. Then you will have a full rating but at a discounted price.

404 Titan
21st Jun 2011, 08:07
Study Bunny

And who is going to do this upgrade? CX certainly won’t and they certainly won’t pay for the extra checks that are required above a P2X rating each year to keep it valid.

AvEnthusiast
21st Jun 2011, 09:21
But it's all about the pay, isn't it? And they are caliming that the second officer in his first year is going to recieve 45,000.00 HKD.

HappyBandit
21st Jun 2011, 11:20
Thanks Dart for your advice. To answer your question yes I have had a look at the Frangnant forum but obviously not in too much detail due to lack of time (mainly due to kids-refer to first post). Again thanks for making the conditions bit more clearer and am now re-evaluating. Seeing you seem to possess more information than most, any idea on when they are recruiting FO's as I meet the FO criteria?

Cheers

kalavo
22nd Jun 2011, 01:55
No DEFO on the horizon, no DESO on the horizon, just cadets as long as people with your experience are silly enough to sign up to cadet conditions. There are much better options out there if you tick the old DEFO boxes.

Mr. Hat
22nd Jun 2011, 02:39
Question- why would you?

Crap conditions.

das Uber Soldat
22nd Jun 2011, 04:09
Lived for years in HK, surely that 45,000 HK a YEAR is a typo? Without a joke it's difficult to live on 45,000 a month in HK, unless you qualify homelessness as living.