PDA

View Full Version : Can manning force you to serve more than 12 months

JliderPilot
19th Jun 2011, 09:02
Thinking of pushing the PVR button and have been getting conflicting info. I expected a maximum of 12 months from giving notice to leaving (including resettlement and terminal etc) Manning are suggesting a longer period. Is this legal? I thought a while back offically it was made to be a maximum of 12 months, sure i saw it published in one of the DIN's or JSP's. I am on exchange tour with no RoS and have passed my pension point.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pontius Navigator
19th Jun 2011, 09:12
Were there any caveats on your exchange? How long have you been in post? How long did the recruitment process for the post take?

I am guessing but there may be other criteria than RoS where it is essential for inter-Government reasons to keep the post active. I also remember an instance back in the 70s when a particular XO had been on the winning Aird Whyte crew and Smiling Jim went behind the XO's back and got the USN to extend the XO so that he could take part in the Fincastle competition.

This meant the XO missed the first semseter at his senior staff college.

Jumping_Jack
19th Jun 2011, 15:33
I thought we were down to 6 months max now? Used to be 12 to 18 months but for the last couple of years max of 6 months.

whowhenwhy
19th Jun 2011, 15:38
3 to 4 weeks in some branches....:\

Lima Juliet
19th Jun 2011, 16:36
QRs are (not) your friend in this case. It states a maximum time of 18 months but no minimum. "Service Need" is the key phrase...

LJ

MG
19th Jun 2011, 17:43
I'm looking at the possibility of an exchange tour and Manning have told me that there's a 2 year RoS. I got the impression that it was true of all exchanges not just the one I'm looking at.

LOAgent
19th Jun 2011, 18:16
Mine came with a 6 year RoS. The first 3 of which were 'in post.' Never signed anything though and I'm pretty sure that there is a test pilot on the east coast who is now checking the legalities of imposing a RoS which the subject never signs.

Pontius Navigator
19th Jun 2011, 18:26
. . . which the subject never signs.

Many times we receive bundles of forms and notes etc to be signed and returned. Many times we just sign off and return and the whole is bundled in the TCIC file.

When I retired I simply filed all the non-essential cr*p in file 13 and returned the essential pensions stuff. I saw no point in signing the OSA that I had signed on appointment and several times before that, once was enough.

No one questioned this, nor did they bother stopping my pay until I told them 2 months later.

Basically, if you signed nothing then they would be imposing a unilateral contract change; being the military unilateral action is probably 'legal' until proven 'illegal.' Proof comes at your expense.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
19th Jun 2011, 19:15
Your Assignment Order (Posting Notice in old money) should inform you of any RoS.

Duncs:ok:

JliderPilot
19th Jun 2011, 21:31
No RoS on the assignment order, and have a copy of the email from desk officer confirming this. Will pop over to SHQ and have a read of QRs. Thanks for all your advice.

FFP
20th Jun 2011, 05:51
Most AO's that mention a RoS also say something to the effect that starting the said course is an admission that you accept the RoS, so no signing / witnessing / legal jiggery pokery (think that's the first time I've ever written that phrase.........looks about right.......anyways..........) is involved.

Would have thought they'd be looking to kick people out the door in this day.

Good luck whichever way it falls.

rej
20th Jun 2011, 09:23
Hit the magical button on 27 Oct last year; with annual, resettlement and terminal leave my last day in a blue shirt was 17 Dec and my last date of paid service was 27 Apr. IIRC I had the option on setting my own exit date. PM me for more info if you wish.

I has 24 good years in the RAF; I met some great people and experienced things you never could as a civilian. However, it's a great life outside and the "instituationalisation" soon wears off. In the 6 months since I ended my working career in the RAF, I have not looked back with or had any regrets - maybe I was time expired or maybe I had some vision of what might happen.

Good luck

CHUNKYEWO
20th Jun 2011, 12:45
:O I PVR,d last Jun-last day in uniform was 6 Aug with a release date of 19 Dec. I am now at full time college paid for by the RAF(Tuition fees only but still worth £6000 over 2 years.). After 34 years service I thought I would miss the RAF but I have not and things appear to be getting worse in the military. Just completed first year exams and starting nearly 4 months holiday living in Cornwall. The grass can be greener!!

Pontius Navigator
20th Jun 2011, 13:44
Chunky good luck. I started slowly about 2 years before I was due out and in the following 11 years racked up a BA, a BA(Hons) and a BSc(Hons). I was inspired by a colleague whose plan included an A-level history course followed by a degree.

I skipped the A-level having failed in the past and without an O-level history got a history degree. When I started the RAF offered £175 max per year. When I finished my civil service department paid 100% of fees and books - a perk conveniently overlooked when it comes to pay and benefits.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jun 2011, 14:04
. . . it's a great life outside and the "instituationalisation" soon wears off.

How many times in the Service have you put up with cr^p as you consider that complaining was a waste of time, bad form, or could earn you a label as a malcontent?

I am now receiving the service that I pay for and I demand a 100% service. I think nothing of contacting CEOs, MDs, etc and receiving nothing less than the best service.

Messed around by Aviva and Carphone Warehouse and their CEOs sorted the problems out the same day. British Gas, phone call to the MD and it was sorted, etc etc. Can you imagine a quick phone call to CAS or CinC?

Not a prayer, although they might actually be quite approachable if you have a well founded grievance, but there are channels. Outside, no channels, direct fire is the order of the day!

I loved a letter from my uncle in Australia, he had an interview with the CEO of their state electrical company, it started off with "Hello Mr Dunne, may I just say . . . "

At which point my uncle stopped him dead and said "I am here for YOU to give me a jolly good listening too."

Never forgotten it, enjoy your freedom.