PDA

View Full Version : Pay for flying instructors

billiboing
18th Jun 2011, 13:45
Need to take on a weekend flying instructor and was just wondering what the average rates of pay are out there at the moment. If flying instructors could put down what they are getting without disclosing their school that would be great.

Im just taking about PPL/ IMC/ SEP training stuff- not fancy stuff!

Thanks guys

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jun 2011, 20:07
http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/451901-rates-pay.html

G

longwings
6th Jul 2011, 20:58
I took 10 +years building my class A complex single.

I spend £45 per hour for a hugely experienced instructor/examiner/test pilot to carry out flight testing and conversion training.

For comparison , in my business life I spend over £150 per hour for junior consultants/£450 for seniors...usually just ratifying what I have already told my bosses

For every contact hour, I learn more about myself...my capabilities and limitations, human performance, physics, aerodynamics, mechanics, avionics, coaching and calculated risk.

No problems guessing who from...

Greatly appreciate what you guys and girls do

foxmoth
9th Jul 2011, 01:38
I will normally look at £30/hr plus travel, only instruct part time and will not undercut those that are trying to make a living from it. I am also very experienced having instructed for over 30 years, tailwheel/aeros/formation experienced.

Whopity
9th Jul 2011, 08:14
Surely you should pay what the job is worth to you.

leading edge!
9th Jul 2011, 09:27
I work freelance, though I am affiliated to a non profit making club. I charge £25 per hour (engine on-engine off). I am unrestricted and have been instructing for about 4 years. Of note, I don't generally charge for groundschool (which seems stupid as ex18 can easily take 2 hours to brief and 1 hour to debrief!). Of note, this is my part-time job and I'm not in instructing for the money! Thre is some pressure from other instructors to increase their rates
L E !

RTN11
12th Jul 2011, 09:06
Do Rotary instructors get paid more than us fixed wing guys?

mrmum
12th Jul 2011, 16:53
I believe so, certainly round here, when we ran a R22 as well as all our fixed-wing stuff, the heli instructor got more than double what we were getting. I also notice you can see a fair number of people doing RW instructing as a viable medium-term job, with an acceptable standard of living. They do still migrate to corporate/AOC type work, but there doesn't seem to be the urgency you see with FW FI's.