PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planner Comparisons?

Seaeagle109
17th Jun 2011, 07:47
Hi all,

Just looking for some help and advice on flight planning software for Australia.

Looking at the Champagne 3000 and Command planner, there doesn't seem to be much between them, has anybody found problems with either or are there any real benefits of one over the other?

Are there any other flight planners available for Australia?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

bentleg
17th Jun 2011, 09:05
Have a look at Airnav VFR (http://sentientsoftware.com.au/). Great for VFR, not as good for IFR. Uses images of Airservices charts, point and click to plan your route. Has a moving map option which I have not tried.

Arm out the window
17th Jun 2011, 09:37
Pencil Proforma is pretty good, but you also need WAC2.0 and Protractor. Speed Sticks can also be used to make this a pretty functional package. I'd also suggest ClockMapGround, although it takes a bit of practice to get it working properly.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Jun 2011, 10:48
If they gave "Life Membership" for flightplanners, I would get one Champagne Flightplanner - been there since day one!

Never used anything else cause Champagne does everything I require - quick and easy to use.

Dr :8

Jabawocky
17th Jun 2011, 12:13
Do you still remember how to use it Doc?:E

Woul you like me to put in a BN - TL plan for next week for you.

I could add some comments in the RMK box for ya :}

FRQ Charlie Bravo
17th Jun 2011, 17:32
From the very first day that I started using Champagne I was hooked... until I changed employers and was converted to Command Flight Planner.

I would happily recommend Command to anyone. It's so much more user friendly in the way that it almost works from one screen and in a logical order from top to bottom (although I get my NAIPS winds before choosing an altitude which is an unavoidable tip).

Sure as hell beats getting the whiz wheel out to calculate drift or manually entering in air route waypoints into NAIPS.

FRQ CB

Jabawocky
17th Jun 2011, 20:41
Agreed CB, although I now lean to champagne, and when Rob gets his stuff together and releases an iPad app life will be awesome in planning world.

Hint here to all Robs customers, if you use an iproduct drop him an email, more pressure will motivate a result.

I think the ozrunways lads and ladettes should team up with rob and integrate them some how.

That's a hint Rowan and Bas.;)

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Jun 2011, 22:27
Do you still remember how to use it Doc?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
Would you like me to put in a BN - TL plan for next week for you.
I could add some comments in the RMK box for ya http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gifYou're a funny bugger Jaba, aren't you? Right regular comedian! If I wanted laughs, I would watch the Comedy Channel.

How hard can it be?

DCT YRED YBTL DCT A100

I am sure that once the word gets out and I light up their radar screens, they will keep everything out of my way while I re-acquaint myself with the BE36 Lance.

Dr :8

Chimbu chuckles
18th Jun 2011, 05:43
I am with AOTW the old way was much more betterer.

Pull out ERC L4.

Scribble on flight plan form the following.

YRED DCT MLY V123 GAY W534 CSV W258 TL DCT YBTL A100 EET 210 END 300

That takes 5 minutes including reading the YBTL TAF and a glance at the winds aloft to see if you might add or subtract 5-10 minutes to the EET. Read the NOTAMS enroute.

Then leave GPS switched off and amuse yourself for 3+30 staying within 5 degrees of 'on track'

Much more fun and intellectually interesting that D-> TL

Although these days I would have Oz 2.0 motoring away on the Ipad too:ok: