PDA

View Full Version : Air Van GA 8 Rating

JAMUP
16th Jun 2011, 07:00
Hi

Can somebody please tell me a place(s) where i can get GA 8 Airvan rating in Sydney or any part of Australia?

Thanks

85trx
16th Jun 2011, 07:17
Why does everyone say rating?
If you are after time on type Red Barron in Sydney had one not sure if they still do. I am pretty sure they have some sort of training at gipsland too.
They are an easy aircraft to fly very similar to a 172 other then when fully loaded. I couldn't see time on type helping that much better off getting some 210 time if your pan is to head north

VH-XXX
16th Jun 2011, 07:20
Most insurance companies require 5 hours on type for the GA8, so it might be worth while following on with what you are considering.

Wally Mk2
16th Jun 2011, 07:46
Also perhaps do a search on all VH rego'd Vans & start from there.
As an offshoot anyone know what happened or might be happening to the turbine version they had mooted some time ago?

Wmk2

Cessna 180
16th Jun 2011, 09:22
Yeah, why do people call it a rating? Single engine Cessna/Piper/Airvan. If you can fly one you fly them all.
If you get a job with someone they will most likley do a fair bit of ICUS which will satisfy insurance requirements anyway.
Have seen folks with barely 200 hrs and no time on anything with a 520/540 in it get jobs and others with a couple hundred 210 hrs struggle.
If your in the right place when someone needs someone and you are a good bloke or girl you will get the job.

glekichi
16th Jun 2011, 09:31
They call it a rating because that's what it is called overseas.

Plow King
16th Jun 2011, 10:15
JAMUP, heard VEX doing a practice NDB a couple of days ago in Mildura; search the register - looks like it's based in Griffith and is on-line for fire-spotting. Might be worth a phone call, I'd try the Aero Club first.
Better yet, you could search the DSE "call when needed" register - there might even be a phone number there :E

Wanderin_dave
16th Jun 2011, 12:40
My 'endorsement' in the ol' Scarevan was one word: "catch!" as the boss threw me the keys. Just about the easiest aircraft i've come across.

If you know an IO-540 you'll be fine.

(Seriously, if you can fly anything else and know how to read a flight manual then you can fly that thing)

The Green Goblin
16th Jun 2011, 13:23
Have seen folks with barely 200 hrs and no time on anything with a 520/540 in it get jobs and others with a couple hundred 210 hrs struggle.
If your in the right place when someone needs someone and you are a good bloke or girl you will get the job.

What planet are you (and they) on?!

200 hours 210 time and struggling to fly an Airvan? (I wouldn't have wanted to be a punter on that 210) Normally you cut your teeth in an Airvan before you're let loose on a 210!

An Airvan is the easiest aeroplane I have ever flown. It even has an auto land feature (close the throttle with an Alligator load and it flares for you).

The only thing hard about it is the seat!

Ixixly
16th Jun 2011, 13:39
"The only thing hard about it is the seat!"

GG has definitely been in an Airvan before!! Good ol' Airvan Butt as i've come to know it :D

2 things hard in an Airvan, the seat and your right hamstring after lots of flying it!!

Cessna 180
16th Jun 2011, 16:46
Gg,

Struggle, as in struggle to get a job. Not struggle to fly the damn thing.

If you read my post properly you would see that I eluded to that in the first paragraph.

As far as I know we are all on the same planet.

das Uber Soldat
16th Jun 2011, 18:12
rage on cessna 180!