PDA

View Full Version : EASA: foreign medicals no longer allowed!

Max_nl
15th Jun 2011, 15:05
Under the current JAA rules, you can have a medical that was issued by a different JAA country, than your pilot license.

E.g. because I did my training in the USA, at a flight school that was operating under the British CAA rules, I have a UK JAA PPL.
While I had my medical exam in my home country the Netherlands.

This all seems to change next year. :confused:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/620/d-FAQMay2011_linked%20to%20paper%20v3.pdf

5.Which country can I apply to for an EASA licence?

You may apply for an EASA licence for each category of aircraft; but you may only hold
one EASA licence for each category. All EASA licences issued to an individual must be
from the same EASA Member State, which must be the State that issued the EASA
Medical Certificate to that individual and holds their medical records. A licence holder
may change their State of Licence issue, but to do so they must have their medical
certificate and all of their EASA licences issued by the new State of Licence issue.

[...]

20. I have licences from more than one European country, what happens about that?

The EU regulations specify that an individual may only hold one EASA Part-MED
Medical Certificate, and that all of the EASA licences held by an individual must be
issued by the same State that issues the Medical Certificate.
If you have JAA licences issued by more than one country you must decide before 8th
April 2012 which of those countries is going to be your State of licence issue for EASA
licences - it must be the State that holds your medical records. You must then apply to
that State to transfer to them any JAA licences you hold that were issued by other
countries.
If you have national licences that will only be used to fly non-EASA aircraft, those
licences can continue to be used, subject to continuing support and administration being
provided by the issuing authorities.

Transferring my UK PPL to the Netherlands is going to take paperwork and cost a hefty 539 EUR and 7 cents administrative fee.

So was wondering if it was possible to do it the other way around, and exchange my NL medical for a UK one instead.
Anyone know what that would take?

Is it possible to simply visit a UK medical examiner, take a class 2 renewal, and walk out with a new UK medical?

172driver
15th Jun 2011, 17:42
Is it possible to simply visit a UK medical examiner, take a class 2 renewal, and walk out with a new UK medical?

That would make sense. But because it makes sense, it's probably not going to work. :ugh:

These EASA idiots should all be taken out the back and :mad:

Whopity
15th Jun 2011, 17:45
Your medical records are always held by the State that issues your licence. When you have a JAA Medical the AME sends a copy of the medical to that State. Under EASA it will be exactly the same, you can still get a medical with any EASA AME regardless of who issued your licence, they will simply get the report from the AME.

Is it possible to simply visit a UK medical examiner, take a class 2 renewal, and walk out with a new UK medical? Yes or any other JAA AME.

Max_nl
15th Jun 2011, 18:05
Your medical records are always held by the State that issues your licence.

Are you sure that is currently also the case with class 2 certificates, and not only with class 1?

See: How to obtain a UK JAR Licence if you hold a non-UK medical certificate/licence | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2576)

There they state they do want the medical records (last application form, examination form, ophthalmology if indicated and copy of last ECG and Audiogram) if it concerns a class 1.

But all I had to sent them when I applied for the UK JAA PPL, was a photocopy of my Dutch class 2 certificate.
The UK currently doesn't have my full medical records as far as I'm aware.

Whopity
15th Jun 2011, 20:14
The CAA numbering system is based upon what was originally the medical dept computer. The numbers originally showed that you were in the CAAs medical system. They subsequently became used as licence numbers. If you have a licence issued by the UK CAA, then the medical dept has a record of your medical. It may not be overly comprehensive but it is adequate for their purposes.