PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Requirements

QJB
15th Jun 2011, 10:29
Hi looking for some clarification,

As far as I know in Australia aircraft owners generally comply with the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, this includes service buletins etc that may be issued from time to time. Where could I find a detailed break down of these requirements for a cessna 172S for example, without having to actually buy the aircraft?

Also are these requirements generally completed within the 100hrly / 1 year maintenance release period as part of that scheduled maintenance?

Aside from that I believe that engines have to be overhauled after 2000hrs, is this a legislative requirement or simply part of most manufacturer's maintenances schedules?

Thanks in advance for any help,

J

kalavo
16th Jun 2011, 06:31
Sounds like you're trying to get an answer to a more specific question without giving away any details?

Pilot answer, a LAME can probably give better information, but here goes.. All aircraft are operated under a system of maintenance. You can get your own system of maintenance approved (and is a requirement for class A aircraft, ie RPT), but for your C172S, you'll find most aircraft are just maintained under CASA's system of maintenance known as Schedule 5 (Refer CAR 1988 Sched 5).

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010C00414/Html/Volume_4

Schedule 5 suggests a daily inspection and a periodic inspection (100 hours or annually as you have referred to). If you operate under your own system of maintenance it can be tailored to your specific needs (e.g. instead of a daily inspection you might have a 24 hourly or 36 hourly inspection, instead of a 100 hourly checking everything you may opt to have a small check at 100 and a larger check every 200 hours, or you could introduce a buffer so the "100" can be performed at 100 +/- 10 hours allowing you to do the inspection at 95.0 hours and allowing you to do the next inspection at 200 rather than before 195.0).

Nothing prevents an engineer performing more than the minimum required by Schedule 5, ie you may find your engineer as well as checking the items in Schedule 5 also checks the items listed in the aircraft manufacturer's maintenance manual. If these extra checks are likely to fall due before the maintenance release expires you'll see them as additional items on the MR, e.g. oil change at 50 hours +/- 5 hours.

My understanding is that the suggested 2000 hr TBO on the engines is required for charter operations, but engines may be run "on condition" past 2000 hours for private and aerial work operations.