PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod AEW3 cockpit on Ebay

manccowboy
14th Jun 2011, 16:58
RAF Nimrod AEW3 Cockpit flight deck XV259 | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-Nimrod-AEW3-Cockpit-flight-deck-XV259-/260796836539?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item3cb8b3eabb)

jamesdevice
14th Jun 2011, 17:07
"Item condition: Used"

really? when was that then?

P6 Driver
14th Jun 2011, 17:33
Compared to some adventurous cockpit prices one or two cowboys have tried to sell at, this one seems quite reasonable.

TorqueOfTheDevil
14th Jun 2011, 23:17

really? when was that then?

Don't you start!:= Can't we just enjoy another Nimrod thread in peace and quiet?:uhoh:

jamesdevice
14th Jun 2011, 23:32
what I could never understand is why they took MR2s out of service to convert to MRA4, when they had all those virtually virgin AEW3 airframes sitting around. Surely would have made more sense to convert those? Especially as they'd already been hacked about and to an extent standardised - and some had never even been fitted out with electronics, so making the new installation a lot easier

Geehovah
15th Jun 2011, 06:39

really? when was that then? I flew a practice intercept sortie in a Tornado F2 over the North Sea controlled by an AEW3 in 1986

BEagle
15th Jun 2011, 07:38
I recall refuelling the thing in 1984. The big nose made prodding very difficult for the AEW3 crew and it took them some while to make contact....

Almost as 'successful' as the 4-tank Tornado F2 AAR trial we had to support - now that thing really struggled. I think we had to go down to FL150 and limit the AoB to 15-20° in order for the F2 to stay in contact.

Geehovah
15th Jun 2011, 08:10
That makes sense Beagle. I never flew 4 tank because of the limitations with missile firings although we looked at a 3 tank fit once. All I can say is thank goodness 4 tanks never caught on.

servodyne
15th Jun 2011, 09:22
Beagle
We had trouble because we hardly ever got airborne!, the Box of tricks was always in need of a 'little TLC' and many a test flight was delayed days or longer because of it.
I can remember wallowing around behind you guys wishing I was back in the bar!
Probably one of the highlights of my time on the 'Grimrod'

As to someones thought of using AEW3 frames, they(the frames) were dumped at Abingdon and left without dehumidifiers or any form of anti corrosive protection. As far as I was aware they were cut up long ago. One went to Finningley as an Air Engineer trainer and a few parts ended up on Woodford golf course as shelters.

tonker
15th Jun 2011, 10:06
I was stood in this on Sunday at the Carlisle Aviation Museum, and it is still in very good condition. Nothing seems to have ben ripped out with all the panels and instruments seemingly still intact.

NutLoose
15th Jun 2011, 11:21
As to someones thought of using AEW3 frames, they(the frames) were dumped at Abingdon and left without dehumidifiers or any form of anti corrosive protection.

Ahhh, but did they first wrap them up in a none to good bag to hold all that moisture in AKA the VC10.... The Engineering Officer at the time tried and tried to get dehumidifiers put in, but senior and not so learned people insisted they were not required, hence some never flew again and those that did needed a lot of work.

servodyne
16th Jun 2011, 07:26
Never wrapped them in anything other than criticism. Air vehicle wise, it wasn't a bad bit of kit( for the 1980's):hmm: but go past the flight deck door and it was a different story...:hmm:

Wensleydale
17th Jun 2011, 08:34
Air vehicle wise, it wasn't a bad bit of kit( for the 1980's)http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif but go past the flight deck door and it was a different story...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Although the fore and aft radar antennae were pretty useless, the pilots used to claim that size of raydomes changed the aerodynamics such that the infamous Nimrod dutch roll no longer existed. (Something to do with raizing the tail slightly which in turn stabilised the yaw axis).