PDA

View Full Version : Deeply disappointed in Dynon Skyview avionics

Ultra long hauler
13th Jun 2011, 17:13
Good day,

so a club member purchased the new 10" Dynon Skyview system as an addition to his Dynon D180 screen…….for his LSA.

Dynon Avionics - SkyView Intro (http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_intro.html)

Since I went on a foreign trip shortly after, I decided to buy the screen (the 10" screen only) as I was planning on getting a double Dynon screen lay out for my new LSA--> customs wouldn´t like it if I would take the whole system into the country at once, and my budget allowed for me to get 1 screen for the time being. So I got ahead of myself and went ahead with the purchase…….thinking of all the good qualities of the D180.

Anyways, the club mechanic has been battling with installing the Dynon system in the other plane which kind of worries me as well!
I have a few weeks to go before my "flight deck" will get installed, but how about this for Dynon issues:

#The D180 & Skyview don´t communicate with each other, no sharing of flight instruments, GPS data or maps--> in other words, no real redundancy!
You might as well install a completely different brand!
Not my problem, but it pissed my friend off to no end.

#Dynon charges $500,- only to be able to run Jeppesen maps.
Yes, that´s right………Jeppesen charges their full prize on top of that, so why does Dynon charge $500,-??

#HD Maps. I have been given to understand that within the US the maps are slightly better but for us in Latin America "HD" means 4 colors: red, beige, yellow and blue for water. Hardly HD in my opinion.
For a preview see the 1st pic of this site:
SkyView User Waypoints - DynonDocs (http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/SkyView_User_Waypoints)

# Waypoints: there is no possibility of "marking" a waypoint, like any basic GPS can--> such as my I-phone. You can not even insert a waypoint by typing digits "03 degrees, 16 minutes, 35 seconds" (for argument´s sake). No, you have to go into Google Earth, mark a waypoint (which numbers you can not alter) with the famous yellow pin and convert that via some (Windows 7 ONLY) software to a certain file…….which you can then insert in the back of your Dynon (unscrewing the screen etc) by USB drive.

The process is described here………close to the bottom:

SkyView User Waypoints - DynonDocs (http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/SkyView_User_Waypoints)

Bear in mind, not all our airstrips are visible in Google Earth due to clouds in the Andes mountains, so I move the yellow pin as close to the exact numbers of my waypoint……..and hope for the best, I guess! Time will tell……...

#Flight plan: only 1 flight plan can be programmed, and once you go "Go To" it considers that the new flight plan and it will erase your carefully designed flight plan from before!! Back to square 1………
In my basic Garmin 296 I can program and store up to 30 routes!

What I do like: test-flying my friend´s aircraft, the flight instruments with the synthetic vision work O.K, and it feels kind of nice flying it.
Luckily!!!!!!!

But $6.000,- dollars to get 1 Dynon screen up and running, including all components; and then having to program my waypoints at home in Google Earth, awkwardly unscrewing the screen for USB access in case of any new waypoint, not being able to grab a new waypoint whilst on route, having to pay a yearly fee to Jeppesen and still dealing with a map quality that belongs more to a Nintendo Entertainment System screenshot from 1985!!!

My question is: am I not better off with the 1 Dynon screen I bought as a primary display and engine data display (and perhaps for my Dynon transponder), and bang in a Garmin 695 for all navigating purposes………instead of a 2nd Dynon?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3820316/Screenshot%202011-06-13%20om%2012.14.19.jpg

I would be interested to hear your experiences!!!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Rod1
13th Jun 2011, 19:46
No Dynon experience but I have a lot with MGL. I installed the system myself, it all communicates via a simple network, which it sorts out itself as soon as you connect everything up. You do have to buy a map on top but it is £150 for a year subscription covering the world. You can program 1000’s of flight plans onto an SD card using most planning s/w, plug the card in to the front of the machine and select the file you want. I have 2 years experience with it and am very happy. Can you take it back?

Rod1

smarthawke
13th Jun 2011, 20:08
I have installed two 10" SkyViews in my RV. Not yet flown but it all lights up as advertised in the hangar.

There is plenty of info on the Dynon webpage, including facts like the SkyView system is not compatible with earlier displays.

Also the mapping software price was announced months and months before it was released. This isn't just to access the Jeppesen database (which is free in the USA but costs elsewhere - just like for your Garmin G1000/G950/G600/G500 etc) but is the software to generate flight plans etc on the screen.

The map is similar to that found in the panel mount Garmin moving map systems.

SkyView are consistently updating the software with improvements and enhancements for the SkyView system.

Backup and technical support have been excellent. I for one am a very happy customer.

Ultra long hauler
13th Jun 2011, 22:19
There is plenty of info on the Dynon webpage, including facts like the SkyView system is not compatible with earlier displays.

Fair enough………it doesn´t concern me personally, but perhaps this should have been investigated better by my friend; granted.
It is still strange however……….that the 2 can´t talk together.

Also the mapping software price was announced months and months before it was released. This isn't just to access the Jeppesen database (which is free in the USA but costs elsewhere - just like for your Garmin G1000/G950/G600/G500 etc) but is the software to generate flight plans etc on the screen.

I´d be happy to pay that $500,- if you could generate more than 1 flight plan at the time, SAVE more than 1, could save waypoints on the go, could do a "Go To" without losing my flight plan and when you wouldn´t need Google Earth and some other application simply to load a few user waypoints.
I think you too will get quite sick of unscrewing the panel every time you want to upload a waypoint!

And be honest, they are not too clear about all the above mentioned limitations on their website now, are they?

SkyView are consistently updating the software with improvements and enhancements for the SkyView system.

I specifically asked them about that.
Yes, they do answer E-mails, I give ´m that!
But they were very vague with what the new software updates are going to be for this year. I am sure all the above will be sorted out at some stage, but when???

They replied to my lacking "mark waypoint" issue with, and I quote: "Oh, yes…….good idea, we´ll put it on the list". Doesn´t strike me as an update they´ll do any time soon, don´t you agree!??

The map is similar to that found in the panel mount Garmin moving map systems.

No it´s not……….NOT where we live.
I am glad to hear this doesn´t apply to you, but they should not sell the maps as HD for Latin America when they use 4 colors!!
Our map quality you can see in the 1st pic of the link provided!
Not too impressive, right?

I have installed two 10" SkyViews, not yet flown.

I think that says a lot, with all due respect!
Don´t get me wrong, I hope you love it and the SynVis combined with the flight instruments work quite nice!
As I said, my intention is to use it still and I hope as much as you do they tackle all the inconveniences sooner than later.

But until you actually fly and find out for yourselves how limited their navigating software really is……..don´t pop the cork just yet!
I wish you happy flying though!

No Dynon experience but I have a lot with MGL. I installed the system myself, it all communicates via a simple network, which it sorts out itself as soon as you connect everything up.

Can you take it back?
Rod1

MGL, interesting, looks nice. Expensive?
Unfortunately, I bought it far away from home and it would be very complicated to get it back into the country without them taxing me!!
Also, I ditched the original box for the same reason as above.

Besides, I quite liked the basic flight screen………..it´s just that the navigation department is messed up!!
Garmin to the rescue!!!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Robert Hamilton
2nd Nov 2012, 14:44
Several people have referenced this Forum thread to us lately, asking about the negative comments. My first thought is, Forum posts sure do last long!

The intent of SkyView was to develop a system with "long legs," with the hardware horsepower and architecture to continue adding features and make the most complete, integrated panel for homebuilt and light sport aircraft. We think we accomplished that, and over the past two years have produced a steady stream of free software upgrades adding the features most requested by customers. We do listen, including to this forum. I would like to answer a few specific questions posted in this thread.

The lack of backwards integration with the EFIS-D100 series was almost mandatory, to allow SkyView features like redundant data and power lines and advanced graphics. Backwards compatibility with a ten-year old product would have limited the capabilities of SkyView over the next ten years.

Last year SkyView added a complete flight planning menu, including the ability to add and manage user data points.

This year a worldwide base map was added, showing towns, cities, rivers, and railroads, with menu options to control the decluttering features. We also enhanced the air space graphics, matching the variety of airspace depictions used in different countries. The synthetic vision and terrain data is many times more detailed than even certified systems. We have continued to improve autopilot performance and features, as well as improved redundancy features. When viewed as a complete system, you would have to pay many times more for a certified system that is equivalent.

I hope that helps. Two years ago, we were the first to explain that many features were to be added. The good news is, we will continue to add features for years to come.

If you have more comments, let us know!

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

Squeegee Longtail
2nd Nov 2012, 23:33
Hi Robert, thanks for your input.

How long until you add a VHF to the Skyview system? It's going to be my "comm 2".

I haven't flown behind my 1000 (with txponder, autopilot, mapping, SV) yet (but will be soon), but it certainly looks pretty in my panel!! If it all works as advertised I will be more than happy.
I'll let you know soon....

SL

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/565054_4609542593581_2054866676_n.jpg