PDA

View Full Version : Cosford Air Show

JimmyTAP
12th Jun 2011, 18:36
Can I just say thank you to all those involved in putting on the show at Cosford. The weather was awful and well done to those who managed to put some semblance of a flying display together despite the conditions.

Finningley Boy
12th Jun 2011, 20:01
Me too, Sean Maffett's commentary was second to none again. :D
Absolutely first class. No disrespect to the current RIAT commentary team, but one certainly misses the sound of Air Sound!:sad:

FB:)

airsound
13th Jun 2011, 16:32
FB, thanks for very kind remarks.

It was, shall we say, an interesting day, but I would like to make the point that it was an Airsound commentary. Airsound is a team of two, producer Jonathan Ruffle and moi. Not only was it Jonathan who was the main man in sourcing and researching all that stuff about what people could do during some longish gaps in the flying, but you will have heard his voice talking about it all as well - to say nothing of his choice and production of all that music and other recorded stuff.

Anyway - thanks for the very nice thought. Airsound is delighted that some of it worked for someone at least.

I would just like to add that I thought the flying at Cosford, and the organisation of it, reflected the highest degree of professionalism combined with just the right amount of press-on spirit.

Sean
Airsound
Commentator for Cosford 2011

egnxer
13th Jun 2011, 19:58
Could I add my thanks for the organization of the event too? I was taken as an early Father's Day present by my 18year old daughter, who had never been to an air show before. She's now hooked. :)
I must concur with everything that's already been said, the commo was great in what must have been pretty trying circumstances and the flying was second to none.
Just goes to show that when an event is put on efficiently and professionally, even the good old British weather can't spoil it.
Thanks again to all involved.

Tiger_mate
13th Jun 2011, 21:55
even the good old British weather can't spoil it.

You must have been at a different Cosford to me then. However with 800` cloudbase, driving rain and crosswinds at 80` from the centreline we got to see far more then I expected. Kudos to the Tutor pilot who was heard on the RT to say "I'm not displaying in this" after take off, and to the Arrows who looked a little bizarre with 8 cabs but nevertheless gave a laudable display in the circumstances. For quite a while I did not expect to see a single aeroplane fly, reminiscent of a Culdrose Air Day a few years ago.

Felt for the Cosford based military staff who largely looked like drowned rats having a miserable day. The choice of music all linked to weather 'Raindrops keep falling on your head" graited a little if I was honest.

Of note is a decline in the number of trade stands in the last few years, and one wonders if trade has been outpriced of their pitch in a manner that effects Waddington traders with outrageous insurance premiums. There was a time when a few book bargains were a dead cert at Cosford.

I was impressed with the service displays inside and most importantly (as I have a son rapidly approaching employment age) no question was too much trouble and honesty as opposed to party rhetoric was given. A balance of good and bad of modern service life is exactly what potential recruits need to be aware of. I was disappointed that in an ATC Cadet 70th Anniversary year there was not a prominent display including Tutor and Vigilant inside a hangar.

There will however be many who regret the expense of the day which was absolutely miserable due to Mother Nature again demonstrating who is boss of this planet, shown to effect by the departing cars at mid-day.

Finningley Boy
14th Jun 2011, 17:50
Sean,

Sorry for the late reply, apologies to Jonthan Ruffle, his choice of music and recorded interviews are always very appropriate and provide that extra dimension which one doesn't often come across. You're spot on about the flying, I hate to pick anyone out in particular, but the Blades reminded me just why it is I'm prepared to risk all weathers to get to an airshow. Hope to hear from yourselves elsewhere in the future.

All the Best!

P.S. Liked the quip about Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield etc etc!:ok:

FB:)

Flap Track 6
14th Jun 2011, 18:13
It was a great shame the weather was so bad. It seemed a well organised and full event and would have been a great day out if the weather had been kinder.

The Black Cats were good and it was nice to see the Arrows do their stuff as always.

We entertained the little one at the decent Fun Fair (the Dodgems were doing a good trade - probably because they had a roof) & we sat in the car listening to the commentary on the radio, jumping out when anything happened.