PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus hijack 1950s?

Gleavage
12th Jun 2011, 15:00
Hi,

I'm looking for information on an aircraft hijack that apparently happened in Cyprus where a stewardess was shot and killed by the hijackers.
I assume it was in the period of late 1940s to late 1950's but there is nothing on the internet about it. I'm not 100% sure it was Cyprus but that's what I've been told.

Any help is appreciated

Gleavage

cyflyer
12th Jun 2011, 17:09
I'm afraid your info is incorrect. Not Cyprus, never heard of that one. There was a Kuwait Airways 747 hijacked in 1988 that landed at Larnaca, and two passengers were murdered, and a Cyprus Airways DC-8 hijacking in 1978.

KeMac
12th Jun 2011, 18:31
The 1978 incident was a fiasco which ended in a shoot out between Egyptian Commandos and the Cyprus National Guard

cyflyer
12th Jun 2011, 21:21
You are absolutely correct KeMac.

cyflyer
13th Jun 2011, 06:10
Gleavage, after a bit of further research, I found a book that I have, called "Flights of Terror" - aerial hijack and sabotage since 1930. For 12th Sep 1948, it mentions : While on a scheduled domestic service from Athens to Salonica with 23 persons aboard, a DC3 flown by the Greek carrier Technical Aeronautical Exploitations (TAE) was commandeered by eight passengers, some of whom reportedly beat members of the crew. The transport landed safely at Tetovo Yugoslavia.
This sounds like the nearest to the incident you mention. Yeah ?

Ironically, the book was published in 1997, so does not include the worst hijacking atrocity of four years later.

Gleavage
13th Jun 2011, 06:27
The only thing I know is that one of the stewardesses was shot and killed. I don't know if she was the only one killed and I'm fairly sure she was British too.
I'd just like to know her name because she is fairly significant to my family and I don't know anything about her

ancientaviator62
13th Jun 2011, 07:32
The 1978 Cyprus mention jogged my fading memory. We took a Herc in with an RAF recovery team to recover parts of the Egyptian Airforce Herc which had been the recipient of an RPG 7 round fired through the open cargo door. This dissolved the flight deck from FS 245 (forward bulkhead ) forwards. The crew who were on the flight deck did not survive. The aircraft parts were recovered to Cairo West. My log books are in the loft so I cannot check dates, not even sure of the year !

DH106
13th Jun 2011, 17:02
Was it definitely a 'proper' full aircraft hijack?

August 20 1978
http://www.timripley.co.uk/terrorism/images/dot_clea.gif
El Al stewardess killed when crew bus ambushed by Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine terrorists outside Europa Hotel, London, England.

Gleavage
14th Jun 2011, 15:50
Like I said, no details except she was shot and probably happened in Cyprus