PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Descent in various areas of the world?

Alpha Sierra
12th Jun 2011, 14:56
Guys,

I'm after some more info to expand my knowledge.

Assuming you are in CRZ in RVSM airspace with terrain and weather not a factor, what direction of turn is expected/required when conducting a rapid descent?

From my understanding, it depends what part of the world you are in.

For example:

China RVSM: Right turn by 30degrees and intercept a 5NM offset then turn left to track parallel.

Oceanic/Asia: Turning left/right by 90degrees

I ask this question as it was mentioned to me the other week that if you are flying in the UK or Germany you are expected initiate a descent straight ahead and not turn due to the closeness of airways and other countries? Of course this made me question what would happen if there was traffic on the same airway below you?

Any input or even references would be great.

Cheers

Endeavour
12th Jun 2011, 15:17
This gives the situation in the UK:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-F4452B45D360C31D145F01D4F37C6E05/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIC/P/052-2009/EG_Circ_2009_P_052_en_2009-07-16.pdf

zerozero
13th Jun 2011, 17:46
No rule can replace situational awareness.

We're paid to FLY the airplane.

You make your BEST decision in the blink of an eye and then you wait two years while everyone dissects every other possible alternative before they judge you.

This is how it's always been and will always be.

Good luck.

:8

GlueBall
14th Jun 2011, 11:17
Any rapid descent "in various areas of the world" would be an extreme emergency, so everything but high terrain awareness would be of secondary nature. Practical reality suggests that you would be initiating an immediate turn in the direction of the nearest airport and advise ATC accordingly. Which means, that if you're in China's RVSM airspace and your airport is to the left of track, then you wouldn't first be turning right and offset 5 miles parallel to the airway during descent.

A-3TWENTY
15th Jun 2011, 01:58
Why not ??? After we reach 10000 ft , can`t you fly indefinetely at 10000ft?? Why proceed so desperately to the alternate???:ugh::ugh:

You turn right30š get yourself out of RVSM , and request vectors to your alternate , in this case left on track.

Procedures are done to be complied with. Otherwise they are useless.If everybody do whatever they want it would be a mess.

Why don`t you comply with air traffic control regulations , but you comply with SOPīs?

Of course , the PIC in an emergency situation can do whatever he needs to guarantee flight safety , but none of all the predictable failures we normally can have like rapid depressurization , EO cruise , DualBleed fault , etc are a reason not to comply with procedures.

mustafagander
15th Jun 2011, 08:28
IMHO, first priority, get off airways - say 5nm at least L or R, your choice.

Then descend to LSALT or F140 and head for planned alternate - ATC clnc would be nice about now but fuel is the priority.

Arrange appropriate clnc.

wiggy
15th Jun 2011, 10:15
Endeavour - couldn't get your link to work:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-97B600823B984A4660A5F3A54C1365DE/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIC/P/052-2009/EG_Circ_2009_P_052_en_2009-07-16.pdf

So over mainland Europe if able turn off the airway or track, over the UK descend straight ahead.