PDA

View Full Version : RAF ATC

Ben28wales
11th Jun 2011, 13:45
Hi,

Im new to this forum, I have tried searching previous threads but couldn't find a definitive answer so please forgive me if there is a thread that I couldn't find.

I have passed my initial aptitude tests at AFCO scored 76 for section F of which I needed 60 :).

The bit that I am most worried about is my medical, and more specifically the eye sight test. AFCO are very vague on specific requirements and responses have ranged from your eyes wont be tested, to the usual spiel of standards for aircrew are high etc.

I have had an eye test and the results were:
R = sph +1.25 cyl -0.25 axis 70.0.
l = sph +1.00 cyl -0.25 axis 115.

I know what the results mean, I am slightly long sighted and have a small astigmatism. However what I don't know, and what I cannot find anywhere after spending hours on the Internet going through forums and the RAF website and contacting AFCO several times, is whether or not these are within the required current limits for aircrew.

I also have a tendency for eyes to turn inward apparently and I don't know if this is something which would affect my medical. If anyone could give me a definitive answer without saying "its best to contact your local AFCO" it would be greatly appreciated.

What I dont want to do is turn up to OASC and pass everything only to be dissapointed at the end when im told my eyes aren't good enough.

Thanks in advance.

P.S just to clarify I am going for NCO ATC

muppetofthenorth
11th Jun 2011, 13:55
Only OASC can tell you exactly how you fit the categories.

If, as your post kinda suggests, you're going for NCO ATC, then your eyesight - if only slightly wrong - will have little effect on your application as that trade does not require brilliant eyes.

Ben28wales
11th Jun 2011, 14:02
I hope your right, however there is so many different things that I have found, some say that you need really good eyesight for this role, some say not so good, some say that a astigmatism is not accepted some say that up to 0.5 astigmatism is accepted :*.

Surely they would publish the required eyesight so they save money from the people that know that will not be good enough, they wouldn't have to do an expensive medical, or pay travel costs etc as they wouldn't turn up in the first place.

muppetofthenorth
11th Jun 2011, 14:55
So why not go to the only people who know for certain - OASC - and find out?

All it would take is going to your AFCO, and asking them for the eyesight form, getting an eyetest and then sending it off to OASC.

Might seem drawn out, but it's better than waiting for 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand information from people who don't really know in the first place.

You want an answer - go get it.

NDW
11th Jun 2011, 16:03
I agree with MOTN, go along to your AFCO.

They will give you a Opthalmic sheet for your local optician to fill out, then just send it to the AFCO and they will forward it to OASC.

I was told even with my slight 'Astigmatism' that I was unfot for Pilot, WSO, WSOp, ATC, Intelligence plus more ! Pretty gutted.

But, I am going to have another eye test in 4-6 months time and send of the form again to see whether my temp. computer glasses have helped increase and improve my Astigimatism ( and yes it can be improved).

muppetofthenorth
11th Jun 2011, 16:44
I was told even with my slight 'Astigmatism' that I was unfot for Pilot, WSO, WSOp, ATC, Intelligence plus more ! Pretty gutted.

Certainly in terms of Int and ATC - that's twoddle. I got in for Int and my eyesight is dire, same with ATC. They used to have eyesight requirements, but no longer do.

Brian 48nav
11th Jun 2011, 17:09
Have you tried Civil ATC? NATS is where the money is - top whack approaching £100k now.

FantomZorbin
12th Jun 2011, 07:13
Ben28Wales

As an ex-RAF ATCO I would forsee little problem re. your eyesight from the info. you have given us. However, things have moved on since my day so it is best that you check directly with OASC.

Having worked closely with civil ATCOs I would suggest that you weigh up the pros & cons of going civil. The choice is: making lots of dough and a stable home life or nomadic life with plenty of opportunity to play in a sandpit!

The very best wishes for whichever choice you make:ok:

dagowly
12th Jun 2011, 08:51
I've got similar results from my eyes, though i've got less of long sighted-ness and more of an astigmatism and i've been controlling for 3 years now.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jun 2011, 08:56
I often thought some RAF controllers were blind; now I know!!!:ouch:

NDW
12th Jun 2011, 09:08
MOTN,

I do agree & I don't want to sound like a little so and so, but I do believe that my eyesight was good enough for ATC and even some Aircrew roles and that they only decided I was unfot due to the recent defence cuts and that they were trying to sway me away from applying for Aircrew and SNCO ATC DE.

Or I might just be a sore loser :ok:.