PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Airlaw - How goes it without the tags?

DUXNUTZ
11th Jun 2011, 01:07
Got Airlaw coming up again (exam passes lapsed) but this time i guess the tagging rules have changed.

Anyone done it since the rules changed? Any tips appreciated!

cheers

-Dux

WannaBeBiggles
11th Jun 2011, 04:55
Yep, and passed it just fine.

Even though tagging is out, you still can do a few things to get to indexes or major sections more quickly.

I folded CAR the index pages in half so I could find them more quickly and dog eared things which came up frequently in practice.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice!

Steve888
11th Jun 2011, 05:22
I did fine for mine. My method was the highlight the headings most used in each of the contents pages of the CAR and CAO and tag the most used in AIP (can have up to 5 in AIP I believe).

Lasiorhinus
11th Jun 2011, 05:46
You can have ten tags in AIP.

Don't rely on what you believe - check the official source.

https://aslexam.com/TOL/StaticWithMenus.aspx?PageTitle=Frequently%20Asked%20Question s&ContentID=210
Underlining and highlighting are permissible in the material you will be taking into the exam centre. There are to be no training notes or instructions on any pages. Regarding the practice of tagging of documents, CASA has specified that only ERSA, AIP and Jeppesen manuals are permitted to include tags. The ERSA is permitted to contain 5 tags, the AIP or Jeppesen (note that you cannot use both) are permitted to contain 10 tags. Tags are to be single sided and are to only include the subject headings of the relevant section or page. Candidates presenting with more than the allowed number of tags, or with tags contrary to the above detailed guidelines, will be asked to remove them before sitting the examinatio

NIK320
11th Jun 2011, 07:22
I used those A4 divider tab's to split the different volumes in the CAR.
I left them blank and figured it would be the same as the divider tabs in the CAO. The exam supervisor said nothing when checking my documents so must have been ok.

You still need a rough idea where to look but cuts down on time looking for the section you want.

Cessna 180
11th Jun 2011, 10:24
Passed this yesterday, no tags. Aip has good index so no need to tag anyway. With cao and car plenty of highlighting along the top of the page as well as in the contents as has been said. Found that after studying for a while I had a good idea where to go for each question.

I had last issue charts and ersa from work but had no qu from them anyway. Had a qu on NAP from Adelaide DAP so was in trouble there too, (am too tight to outlay on full set of daps, just for a test!)

Had long winded qu on gpws from 20:18 and a couple about SIDS, that were a bit curley, other than that pretty much duty limits and direct quotes from cao, car and aip.

Also the supervisor checked everything extremely thoroughly.

Best of luck with it.

DUXNUTZ
11th Jun 2011, 11:36
Thanks a bunch guys. :ok:

As i said second time around (thanks CASA for refusing to extend the validity of my exam credits:ugh:) so fingers crossed i can end this mess soon!

Nose wheel first
11th Jun 2011, 14:03
I feel your pain DUXNUTZ! I am in the same boat as you.... slowly getting them out of the way again!

I sat law last week... For me the key was having a good idea of what they are looking for.

You can guarantee a few questions out of CAO 20.4, CAO 20.9, CAO 20.11, CAO 20.18, CAO 48, CAR42, AIP 1.1 and 1.5 (MET, ILS, SID's)

I still have my notes from AFT from last time around. There was a study index attached to them that listed everything alphabetically and the associated references in the regs. If you can get hold of that it's a great study tool to help you remember where everything is.

I broke my topics down into groups and remembered what regs dealt with what topics in a broard sense. i.e; flight and duty, emergency equipment/procedures, performance, refuelling and radar etc.

I hate law and for me it rates up there with flight planning as a mongrel exam. Pace yourself, learn what you can before you go in ... just the easy stuff... but know WHERE to find things. Regarding the exam, knowing where to find info is far more important than knowing it off the top of your head in my opinion. In real life you will be able to quote rules and regs no worries but in examland some answers have to be word for word. If you can't remember the exact wording you're stuffed!

Happy sitting

NWF