PDA

View Full Version : Landing site in Leeds (close to centre)

nellycopter
10th Jun 2011, 21:40
Hi, does anyone know of a landing site close to the centre of Leeds that leaving the Heli at all day while in Leeds would be safe ?

Looked at Leeds Bradford but wanted something closer, for shorter taxi journey, like farm or something....

I see that the police pad is restricted just for them, yet it used to be a private helipad back in the day as it is in the flyer book of landing sites......

Any pointer appreciated..

Nelly

stringfellow
10th Jun 2011, 21:55
no idea, but the guys at heli jet are very friendly its not a million miles away.

JimBall
11th Jun 2011, 15:35
There's nothing except Multiflight at LBA and the lovely folk at Coney Park.

nellycopter
12th Jun 2011, 09:07
I see that woodlands hotel, very close to Leeds applied for planning permission for a helipad in 2008'
I will ring them today to ask if they were successful and let everyone know !

nellycopter
12th Jun 2011, 09:08
As for nothing ! There is also oulton hall,

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2011, 09:59
I have done some research on your behalf but found nothing else near the city centre. If you find one, do let us know!

P.S. again, if you do find one, don't forget to apply for a CAA permission to be exempt from the 1,000ft rule (ANO rule 5) for operations in/over a congested area. Might be easier/more cost effective to land outside the congested area, or at a licensed airport (obviously there's only LBA or Helijet) and get ground transport to the actual destination.

md 600 driver
12th Jun 2011, 13:12
nellycopter

which police pad do you mean carr gate thats even further away

john potters place is next to the woodlands near elland rd
premier car auctions and john o gaunts both have helicopters landing
laurence tomlinsons ginetta factory at garforth he used to land his dauphin there

there are a few places at heli owners around leeds depends where you want to go realy i would say pm but you wouldnt reply anyway

as shy said watch rule 5 near the centre its all built up

misterbonkers
12th Jun 2011, 15:23
Ginetta Factory requires a rule 5 exemption. There's Makins Farm at Garforth.

A bit nearer is a house in Calverley owned by Professer Sharpe - he used to have a 206. H is quite visible on google maps. Should be less than a tenner into town from there. There is also a couple of spots in New Farnley that are usable for singles.

Theres also a spot near the old heliport on York Road (East Leeds).

Email me if you want some more details.

Regards, MB

helicopter-redeye
12th Jun 2011, 15:29
Thinking more broadly, Doncaster to Leeds (centre) by train is dead quick and quite low cost.

Quite a bit quicker than a Check A followed by start, entry to Class D airspace (where you could get a 20 min hold outside at busy periods - I did last week) followed by journey into Central Leeds.

Commercial decision? Go by train. Time to spare? Go by air to Coney Park and take a taxi.

h-r

nellycopter
12th Jun 2011, 16:35
Redeye,
I have given up on the train, and car for that matter,
You are right it would be commercially better I suppose to go by train, but only last week the gypo,s nicked some signal cable and stopped the trains in their tracks for hours.....
Autumn and the leaves some how stop a 100 ton train.....
I think our council are attempting the world record for how many sets of temporary traffic lights they can use on one go,
If I go to work in the car, with the road works (which ever direction I go ! ) it takes just over an hour ! Doncaster to pontefract !!!!
In the chopper .2 one way .3 back, no stress, no traffic lights, just lift and go !
I have never really had problems entering donny or Leeds, ask nicely, stay low enough keep out the way of the big planes and all seems ok....
I don't really want to go down the rule 5 exemption, I just want somewhere close to the city, like a farm, hotel etc where the Heli will be safe while me and the missus venture into Leeds..
And just one last thing, doing an "A" check when the chopper is sat in the back garden isn't really that much of a ball ache..... My wife choosing which shop to go to first on the other hand ............

Thanks for the feedback guys..

Nelly

helisdw
12th Jun 2011, 16:57
There's a HLS in Garforth mentioned in Pooleys - it's listed as being at the "Hilton National Hotel" but I believe this has now become a Holiday Inn. With a landing fee of £35 (and the addition of a taxi fare), it might not be the most economical option... Also, using Garforth to access Leeds is about equidistant to using Coney Park/LBIA.

If you've got the right coloured helicopter, this pad becomes accessible(!):

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz92/helisdw/DSC03550-1.jpg
Leeds General Infirmary (LS1 3EX)

Simon