PDA

View Full Version : To buy a jet endo or not??? That is the question

HappyBandit
10th Jun 2011, 09:34
Having acquired close to 2000 hours on turboprops looking for the next step ie. jets....

To my fellow professional colleagues, is it worthwhile me forking out $$ (Has Aus aviation really got this bad??) to buy either a 73 or airbus endo? I know a lot of operators are looking for time on type, however would it be an advantage for me to take me to the potential jet front if I purchased an endo or am I wasting my time and hard earnt money?

Metro man
10th Jun 2011, 09:41
Without a definite job offer, conditional on obtaining an endorsement, don't do it. Without time on type, it will be very difficult to find a job and the training goes stale very quickly unless you put it into practice.

Also, how would you feel having done a B737 endorsement and only A320 operators were recruiting ?

Fonz121
10th Jun 2011, 10:11
I concur with Metrodude,

I highly doubt any of the jet guys will hire you simply because you have an endorsement. I personally always look on people with jet endorsements and no jet prospects suspiciously.

The one's I do know in this situation have had the luxury of the old folks footing the bill. Not saying this applies to you but I think this is the stigma which comes with it.

Besides, in this day and age where the pilot foots the bill, why would the company care if you have an endorsement already anyway?

Mr. Hat
10th Jun 2011, 13:09
What metroman said. Leave it alone.

Jerry Lee
10th Jun 2011, 14:29
What do you australians mean by saying jet endorsement? A Type Rating or what else?
If it is a type rating, don't do that without a serious job offer.
IMHO, it's far better continuing flying turboprop 'til a jet carrier offers you a job.

In Europe unfortunately it works in this way, and I hate it! I thought in Australia was totally different: flight school --> General Aviation or flight instructor --> General Aviation o bush --> turboprop with regional --> jet on major. I'd love this career!:)