PDA

View Full Version : Am i Safe?

FlyingKiwi_73
10th Jun 2011, 03:47
with life getting in the way and things with wings being a bit expensive (explain to the lady why 2 hours flying is more preferable than dinner for two in that fancy resturant)I get in about 30 hours a year (extroplated Monthly average), the other day i planned a multistop flight (which got canned due to the weather) and i had to go back to the text books to remind me how complete part of the planning. I'm a relatively new PPL.My flying is fine, i practice a SOHRJ every fight no matter how short i try to mix up my approches....i haven't made any serious errors yet,... but i just don't do it enough.What does the group think about currency and fequency, i struggle to get 2 flights in a month, (however my averge went up recently due to a new type rating)

IO540
10th Jun 2011, 05:18
2 flights per month / 30 hrs a year, is not something to kick yourself over.

It is probably slightly more than the UK PPL average.

Obviously more is better for currency, but if you do a flight every 2 weeks, use checklists, do radio calls, etc, you are not going to forget where the knobs are :)

Sillert,V.I.
10th Jun 2011, 06:03
...explain to the lady why 2 hours flying is more preferable than dinner for two in that fancy resturant...

I'd like to know where you can get 2 hrs flying for the price of dinner for two in a fancy restaurant.

Alternatively, my local Wetherspoons does 2 steak dinners + a bottle of wine for £15 on a Tuesday night - so you can still afford to fly & buy her dinner afterwards:E.

dublinpilot
10th Jun 2011, 08:27
Try to team up with another PPL of similar experience. You'll still only get 30 hours per your, but you'll both get another 20-30 hours airborne time which helps with the currency too. You'll also be involved in the planing for twice as many flights.

But this extra exerience doesn't cost you anything extra ;)

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jun 2011, 09:34
I'd like to know where you can get 2 hrs flying for the price of dinner for two in a fancy restaurant.

Alternatively, my local Wetherspoons does 2 steak dinners + a bottle of wine for £15 on a Tuesday night - so you can still afford to fly & buy her dinner afterwards:E.

Microlights, Gliders, smaller LAA types, and a celebrity chef-owned restaurant.

G

nzflygirl
13th Jun 2011, 12:18
Perhaps think about it in terms of what you're comfortable with, if you're not happy with 2 flights a month and unable to apply all knowledge you could try and increase it to 3. You might also benefit from getting more of those multi-stop flights in more often though - planning is an important part of the process! Take that lady of yours on a romantic gettaway for a weekend somewhere - doesn't have to be a long flight!

When I was training for PPL (in NZ) I was flying twice a month max and found that difficult. By the time I got around to a flight here in the UK I had had 10 months off flying but found it was just like riding a bike (so to speak).

Concentrate on what works for you.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jun 2011, 14:16
There's a really excellent chapter in John Farley's recent book "View from the hover" about staying safe and current with minimum hours. I'd strongly recommend having a read (or the rest of the book for that matter, which is equally excellent).

G