PDA

View Full Version : Usa-aus routes

mourgo
9th Jun 2011, 23:49
Just a question on airlines flying eg: LAX- MEL that are stretching the range of their planes, is it common for fuel diversions to Brisbane due to strong headwinds on that route? If so is this costing airlines money? Or am I wrong and these aircraft have plenty of range?

chuboy
10th Jun 2011, 00:10
It's not uncommon.

Or in the case of DFW-SYD, you could say it's the norm :E :ugh:

Beer Baron
10th Jun 2011, 02:01
On the LAX-MEL route I would say that a diversion to BNE would be fairly rare as SYD is the preferred diversion port and is closer to the LAX-MEL track.

Most often if a diversion is required it is due to the weather at the destination port requiring alternate or TEMPO fuel that has not or can not be carried, rather than stronger than expected headwinds.

A fully loaded A380 or 744 would struggle to fly LAX-MEL and arrive with alternate fuel as far as I am aware. That being said, I have flown this route many times and never diverted.

PACIFIC BARON
10th Jun 2011, 07:01
For info a fully loaded A380 [standing room only] can easily make this sector leaving KLAX at 569Ton [FULL pax, 22ton freight & required fuel] if no alternate is required. On the days that an alternate is required then it still can make the sector but will only be able to carry FULL pax & approx 10 ton of freight.

For a fully loaded B744ER [FULL pax, 5-8 ton freight & required fuel] can make the sector if no alternate required.
If an alternate is required freight would be reduced to zero & it would be a marginal sector.

B744ER Dallas to Brisbane can only work this time of the year with a restricted payload as it exceeds the distance of an KLAX-YMML sector by approx 250nm.:ugh:] An A380 would be the best fit if capacity was available.

mourgo
10th Jun 2011, 09:56
Any info on the 777-300ER doing this route?