PDA

View Full Version : How to Land a Helicopter After Your pilot Has Been Incapacitated

69GCBC
9th Jun 2011, 23:00
Saw this on the web and figured you guys would get a kick out of it:

How to Land a Helicopter After Your Pilot Has Been Incapacitated (http://www.wikihow.com/Land-a-Helicopter-After-Your-Pilot-Has-Been-Killed)

(don't they have an app for this yet?)

Ag-Rotor
10th Jun 2011, 05:31
I think it fair to say, "if the pilot dies at the control...the passangers will die shortly after" My advise would be to stick your head beteen your knees and kiss your ass goodbye.:ok:

rotorfan
10th Jun 2011, 06:28
Sheesh, all those hours and dollars I spent on learning to pick up, fly a circuit, and set it down in one piece.... All I needed was to read that 3-minute article.

It's actually not badly written, but it leaves one with the impression that they could pull this off after merely reading. Some poor sod will likely believe that they could really do this.

Ag-Rotor has the proper advice.:ok:

Coconutty
10th Jun 2011, 07:00
What a great littlle self help article :hmm:

There are some gems there, but in Section 1 they missed out,
"If the pilots seat belt isn't too tight - and you think they are dead - try opening the door and pushing the bugger out -
the weight saved by doing so will give you extra time to figure out what to do next..."

Most of the procedure for gaining control of the helicopter is obviously quite simple,
and is something that your average tourist can easily manage,
because not until Section 5 is it , time to get serious. :uhoh:Para 3 in Section 5 reminds you to check that any carry-on items are stowed securely but then Para 6. of the same section discusses ... wrestling a greased pig all the way downWould that be a fare paying passenger or a carry on item ?

Helicopters are pretty tough, and it's not yours anyway, so don't worry about roughing it up :eek:After landing : ( :rolleyes: )
Don't move the wounded/dead pilot until paramedics arrive. ( ... assuming you didn't already push them out ...... it's probably OK to punch him or her though - maybe once or even twice if no-one is looking ).

and finally :
If your helicopter is on fire after landing you mayMAY ???
want to exit the helicopter before everything stops moving, and pull the disabled pilot out. .... who will definitiely be unconcious if you got the punches right. :ok:
Take a moment to reflect on why you went on a pleasure flight with a disabled pilot in the first place :oh:

Just be very careful around the rotor blades. Without you holding the controls steady it can very easily flap around low enough to cut your torso in half.This will definitely spoil your day and ruin any chance of getting a refund :p

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

longbox
10th Jun 2011, 07:36
I had a large sea gull come through the pax window on a 206, luckily the passenger side window, which it removed completely, the facts theymissed 140mph winds coming through the front, blood etc etc, I agree with AG, I can post pics if anybody wants to see:ok:

IntheTin
10th Jun 2011, 07:46
Coconutty said it right 'some gems'

I was cringing as I forced myself to read this. Not sure how many tour operators have the duals in anyway!

As for me I'm all for trying to save my arse but if the author thinks that anyone would remember even a pinch of what's he's written then......well :=

Actually looking at the article it can be edited. I may just have to go on there and have some fun :}

Avtrician
10th Jun 2011, 08:20
Technically correct in a simplistic way, but with the chopper in a screaming death dive I doubt you would have time even to bend over to kiss your arse:}:} let alone get the feel of the controls use the radio (after finding out where the head set was) and work thew GPS if there is one....

Flyt3est
10th Jun 2011, 09:04
Lets face it, if flying was difficult, engineers would do it..

:p

Art of flight
10th Jun 2011, 10:46
"Lets face it, if flying was difficult, engineers would do it.."

They do........but can make more money bending spanners on Fords!

John R81
10th Jun 2011, 11:25
I think it's awesome (though I did sneak in a few edits shortly after 69GCBC made the original post). I have printed, and will take with me to my flying school to ask them why it took them 50 hrs to teach this to me!

Do I get a refund????

diginagain
10th Jun 2011, 12:01
"If the pilots seat belt isn't too tight - and you think they are dead - try opening the door and pushing the bugger out -
the weight saved by doing so will give you extra time to figure out what to do next..."

Many years ago, when I was merely an Aircrewman, I did a Standards check-ride to assess my suitability for further training. Part of it involved demonstrating that, in the event of pilot incapacitation, there was a fair chance of me getting us down without totalling a Gazelle.

"Right, Bloggs, I'm dying, what are you going to do?" says he.

"About 1.5 solo, with the fuel we've got." earned me a dirty look.

jim63
10th Jun 2011, 13:53
They should take the time to do a primer on how to fly the space shuttle if you're drunk and wander into the cockpit on a Saturday night next.

topendtorque
11th Jun 2011, 10:42
you'd soon find out if he really was dead when yer tried to push the critter out the door.

Digital flight deck
11th Jun 2011, 14:46
Amazing to think anyone would be so stupid as to think they could get away with this. I must say that I have not laughed so much in a long time.

malabo
11th Jun 2011, 15:06
I'd get asked this once in a while by the front seat passenger in both airplanes and helicopters. In an airplane I'd show them- similar to the advice in this thread. In the helicopter I'd say "forget it, you're dead". If I felt particularly dark I'd add that for all practical purposes they were already dead until I landed again.

heliwanab
11th Jun 2011, 16:59
my sides actually hurt with laughing. i've been trying to get any kind of licence to drive for years and have (about) 8 hrs tt.
still cr#p myself in straight an level never mind landing greasy pigs.....quality!!
:ok::ok:

HowlingMad Murdock
11th Jun 2011, 19:17
Heh,heh,heh, fantastic! Have been 'wastin' time' reading various books recommended for PPL(H) when all I had to do was read the aforementioned article - I should be able to fly a heli within a few hours, thus savin' a fortune on instruction!;)

Devil 49
12th Jun 2011, 03:28
Scoff, but this has been done, more or less successfully, at least once that I know of. The story:
Pilot departs Gulf of Mexico shore base flying a 206 to change production crews. As he heads out over the marsh, he starts feeling ill and turns around. Feeling sicker, he initiates a forced landing, but loses consciousness. The front seat passenger grabs the controls he can reach while somebody in back holds the pilot up. The 2 active passengers die in the crash, everybody else survives.

grumpytroll
12th Jun 2011, 20:01
I don't understand why they go into detail about landing. It would be so much simpler to get control of the thing, get on the radio and tell ATC what is going on. Then they can arrange for a helicopter pilot to show up at the airport. (if there isn't one already about)(If you can't find a helo pilot any old fixed wing driver will do) Then all you have to do is hover low enough and slow enough so that he can step up on the skid, pull his dead buddy out, plop in the seat and wullah. Problem solved. This plan cuts the training from say 8 minutes down to no more than 2.

Quote: (don't they have an app for this yet?)

Haven't you seen "The Matrix"?

MightyGem
13th Jun 2011, 17:14
We have a procedure for our bobbies, using the autopilot/ILS, which, with a bit of luck, will get them to 75 feet above the runway doing 80kts. After that they're on their own. :E

FlightPathOBN
13th Jun 2011, 20:25
As a door gunner, we had to perform a 'pilot out' landing at least once a month...

notes on the guide to save yourslf...

after the nosehook recovery (from the pilot slumping over the stick...)
(think Roy Snieder..)

then go to "Top Gun" not the missiles vs guns thing...

the part where they are in the flat spin....

I am confused...WHY did they have a greased pig on the helo?...

Coconutty
14th Jun 2011, 19:15
We have a procedure for our bobbies, using the autopilot.....I once heard talk of a Police Air support Unit that had a drill to cover just such an occurrence,
where the Bobbies were trained on how to engage the Auto Pilot and then steer the aircraft
onto a course with a gradual descent to a large lake in their area.

Tthe aim was to jump out shortly before the aircraft splashed down, hopefully saving their lives,
and saving the lives of others because the machine wouldn't crash in a built up area.

Anyone know which Unit, and whether the drill is still in place ?

~ Discuss ~

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

MightyGem
14th Jun 2011, 20:25
Yes, I seem to recall that. Can't remember who though.

SilsoeSid
15th Jun 2011, 21:45
Bobbies were trained on how to engage the Auto Pilot and then steer the aircraft onto a course with a gradual descent to a large lake in their area.
The aim was to jump out shortly before the aircraft splashed down, hopefully saving their lives,

Clucking bell !

Some of us couldn't even autopilot the machine to the airfield without being able to couple it to the ILS, let alone make a shallow approach to a lake at a speed above which it would disengage!

Water's like concrete at 100mph !

500e
15th Jun 2011, 21:53
Wish I had found that set of instructions before learning to fly.
Only wanted a few lessons on how to get it on the ground if the pilot keeled over:E could have saved a fortune:{ & a lot of grief from the beloved.

ShyTorque
4th Nov 2013, 09:19
I always wondered how it was done......

How to Land a Helicopter After Your Pilot Has Been Killed (http://www.wikihow.com/Land-a-Helicopter-After-Your-Pilot-Has-Been-Killed)

:p

Fun Police
4th Nov 2013, 11:26
yeah...and how much time do they think there is before control is completely lost? (along with other huge allowances in their scenario)

after all of the hundreds of pax briefings i have ever given (for VFR singles) only once have i been asked; "what happens to us if something happens to you?" :}:eek:

Peter-RB
4th Nov 2013, 11:29
I have taken time to read it all, Thank goodness for wiki, I had no idea thats how easy it is, I'll try that next time, and I am sure the guys at "Say... LAX" would be so happy for me to do that or even a small crash in order to stop.

I never thought Heli flying could be so easy, thank you for posting.:suspect:

Peter R-B :E:ok:
Lancashire

Thomas coupling
4th Nov 2013, 13:12
What a load of claptrap! The auther clearly has too much time on his hands when he could be writing on Pprune or something!

Helo pilot has an MI. Everybody dies - simples.:zzz:

chopjock
4th Nov 2013, 13:46
I have been incapacitated in flight once, with no duals in. The pax leaned over and took control (keeping us level) until I recovered sufficiently to regain control (about 20 minutes). I could not see anything, nearly blanked out and could not think straight. Turned out to be a once only panic attack.
Now I often leave the duals in and let the pax have a feel as we go.:}

defizr
4th Nov 2013, 13:50
If I'd known it was that easy I'd have learned to fly one years ago :}

Thomas coupling
4th Nov 2013, 14:16
ChopJock: This has to be a wind up right? Are you as weird in the physical state as you are in the mental state(with all your previous posts)???
You were incapacitated for 20 minutes:eek::eek::eek::eek:

And the docs have given your ticket back to you???? WTF :ugh::ugh:

rotorspeed
4th Nov 2013, 14:46
Come on TC, it's a wind up. Isn't it??

Devil 49
4th Nov 2013, 18:27
In the last few seconds of your life...

I did hear a reliable report of this happening some decades back, although the pilot had only lost consciousness. The individual holding the pilot clear of the controls and the passenger in the front passenger seat, flying the aircraft, were killed in the crash. The pilot and 2 other passengers survived.

Sir Niall Dementia
5th Nov 2013, 08:02
MightyGem;

I did a similar thing with a couple of our owners, they got close enough and slow enough to the ground that although they were going to crash it (maybe) wasn't as bad as a plummet from MSA.

As for the rest, when they ask "what happens to us if something happens to you?" I always tell them I'll hold a place in the queue for them at the pearly gates:E

SND

SASless
5th Nov 2013, 11:39
My reply was not nearly so polished or polite.....it was usually....."You are going to be one dead Mother F.....Ker!".

tottigol
5th Nov 2013, 12:38
Land the helicopter after the pilot dies, the wet dream of all paramedics and flight nurses.
Most of them actually say that to the pilot, as that would instill them with trust for the med crew.
Too bad most cheap EMS operators are going the tiny single engine way with the SLBs actually stowed in the back seats.;)

Perhaps this is the argument that would push the customer to pay for larger, more capable aircraft with actual IFR capability.:E

Octane
5th Nov 2013, 12:54
Ok, I've read the instructions 3 or 4 times and understand the gist of it and reckon I'm ready to give it a go. What bothers me is there are no instructions on how to take off. I mean, if the pilot cops one on start up and the bad guys are racing in to chop my head off what do I need to do to get into a hover and the hell out of there? (assuming no door gunner on this helicopter). Also, am I allowed to use the tail rotor to take out the bad guys. I mean do a sort of pirouette to chop them up before heading off? Any advice much appreciated,
cheers
Octane

ShyTorque
5th Nov 2013, 15:23
All the info you need is shown in various James Bond films. That's lesson 2, of course.

Gemini Twin
5th Nov 2013, 16:43
Just don't forget to :

"Take a moment to ensure everyone has their seat belt securely fastened, and that any carry-on items are stowed securely."

tartare
5th Nov 2013, 20:45
In all seriousness - what about the following scenario?
PPL fixed wing going for first ride in R22 with instructor.
Flies machine straight and level in the cruise well enough, can turn (feels very strange not really using the pedals, and just a gnat's touch on the cyclic) - in the LFA can't really hover to save himself - ends up 40 feet in the air and drifting all over the place.
In the cruise back to the airfield, instructor karks it.
Could said PPL make a run on landing by himself?
Bloody machine - why does one frickin control input always mean another must immediately follow??!!

nomorehelosforme
5th Nov 2013, 21:03
The title of this thread doesn't include them?

Cheeto9
6th Nov 2013, 04:27
This is great hahaha