PDA

View Full Version : Bend over here comes Waste'O Space - with a hint of garlic

iRaven
9th Jun 2011, 21:53
BAE Systems and Dassault Aviation have further strengthened their relationship by announcing Telemos as the name of the programme that will deliver their joint response for a next generation Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS).

In Greek mythology, Telemos was the prophetic son of Eurymos, known for having the vision and foresight to warn Polyphemus about an attack by Odysseus.

The two companies will jointly present the capabilities that underpin the Telemos programme at the Paris Air Show from June 20th - 26th.

Following the signing of an exclusive Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the two companies earlier this year, the Telemos programme will ensure that the considerable end-to-end systems capabilities of both BAE Systems and Dassault are successfully brought together to deliver a joint proposal to the UK and French Ministries of Defence for the design, development, production and support of a MALE UAS that will help safeguard the sovereign operational capability of the UK and France in the future.

Peter Richardson, Strategy and Technology Director for BAE Systems Military Air*& Information said:

"Since the signing of the MOU earlier this year we have continued to work together to ensure that, as soon as the two Governments formally launch their requirement, we are well placed to develop the future frontline capability they require. We have already set up a joint team and will look to strengthen this with other leading industry players to ensure that the Telemos programme will develop a cost-effective, autonomous system in the required timescales."

Eric Trappier, Executive Vice President International at Dassault Aviation also commented:

"We believe that Dassault Aviation and BAE Systems are the only companies with the experience, skills and capabilities to meet the requirements of our two Governments and the strong Telemos team will ensure that we provide the capability they are looking for, whilst assisting the sustainment of sovereign industrial capabilities which both governments have invested in developing. The key thing we need now is the political decision to transform this process into the first firm activity under the Anglo-French treaty on defence co-operation."

So just what experience does Dassault and BAES have exactly - apart from failed programs like Herti and Phoenix? I sense another Nimwacs debacle ahead...:ugh:

iRaven

Corporal Clott
9th Jun 2011, 21:57
TELEMOS looks awfully like MANTIS to me - so much for the Dassault expertise then!

http://www.dassault-aviation.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/PS_L9994808_200.jpg

The B Word
9th Jun 2011, 22:05
The cheek of it! Rebranding of Mantis that was paid for jointly by BAe and MOD and it only ever flew line of sight only with no satellite functionality or working sensors. "Experience" my arse - the only company that has fielded a successful fully armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) unmanned system is General Atomics in the USA.

Here's another picture of Mantis...sorry Telemos (what a sh!te name).

http://www.asdnews.com/data_news/ID35990_300.jpg

Iraven, I also fear trouble ahead and wasted taxpayer's cash :sad:

Lima Juliet
9th Jun 2011, 22:14
3 words with a Northern accent - bag o ****e!

http://thefilmwotiwatched.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/paul-calf.jpg

L J R
9th Jun 2011, 22:25
I'm with B Word on this one......Reaper currently flies, delivers, bombs, performs, ISRs, and actually has results.

Mantis (whatever) is a power point presentation of a wind model test.....

...when will Telemos become a service item...???

...L J R

Corporal Clott
9th Jun 2011, 22:27
Mantis has already been the subject of much mockery on the Prune before:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/396044-bae-mantis-drone-doing-flight-tests-australia.html some very funny Beagle posts at the start!

Maybe that is why they changed the name?

jamesdevice
9th Jun 2011, 22:58
You're missing the point that this has to be the first step in BAE handing over its remaining airframe building business to Dassault. They don't see any new UK orders coming soon, but maybe by combining with Dassault they may pick up other stuff. They won't get enough cash if they flog the business off to EADS - Dassult are the only other logical non-USA buyer

Melchett01
9th Jun 2011, 23:50
Is it just me or is anyone else getting fed up of our capability programmes being done on the basis of political manouevring (again!) rather than what is actually right for Defence.

I just wish that Fox et al would stop mucking around, playing with lives and just bring Reaper into Core rather than wasting money on a "new" system that will take god knows how long, will inevitably involve a capability holiday and will be ordered with the interests of the constituents of the relevant company in mind rather than the guys that actually have to use it :mad:

The B Word
10th Jun 2011, 05:42
James

I believe that Dassault are in the same dire straits as BAe - no orders. Therefore, they are likely to take the tech and give a gaulic shrug and then try and save themselves. That said, an order for 10-20 aircraft is going to save neither. They've missed the boat and the market is already flooded with fully working MALE unmanned systems. Even the export controlled countries are now on the horizon with IAI selling Heron to Tanzania or Kenya and General Atomics selling Predator XP to the UAE.

BAe would do better to concentrate on Taranis (although the UK cancelled the DPOC requirement it was aiming for in SDSR) as at least they are only 2 years behind the US. Not 10-15 years as they are with Mantis/Telemos. But I suspect that high end vehicles like Taranis are going to be more export constrained and likely to be too expensive for mass exports.

We would be better of turning Warton into the next Mini production plant - now wouldn't that be a turn up when BAe sold the rights to Mini (under MGRover) many moons ago. At least that way we would actually be producing something for export.

The B Word

Willard Whyte
10th Jun 2011, 15:51
But I suspect that high end vehicles like Taranis are going to be more export constrained and likely to be too expensive for mass exports.

Not a problem. We'll just up foreign aid so they can afford them.

Dengue_Dude
10th Jun 2011, 21:50
Do I detect cynicism and negativity here?

Whatever brought that on? I thought any excuse for the Brits and French to actually talk to each other was deemed a success.

Shame they ran out of arrows at Agincourt is all I can say . . . . :)