PDA

View Full Version : Heading North with a trade

Power
8th Jun 2011, 23:53
Since I will be heading north in the next 12 months, I am wondering about peoples experiences in regards to those with a trade (sparky, plumber etc) finding relevant trade work whilst looking for that first flying job!
Has anyone here done it before?
I imagine most employers would not be keen on taking someone on for a "temporary" term of employment bt maybe for casual work?
Anyways any info is appreciated.
Cheers

Hasselhof
9th Jun 2011, 00:04
Option A) Don't tell them. Christ, you're going to get lied to so many times whilst in GA you might as well share the love.

Option B) Tell them. I've been open with employers in non-aviation jobs before and rather than missing out on a job, I often got some private flying out of it as other employees and more often than not bosses lined up to go for a scenic.

The Green Goblin
9th Jun 2011, 00:11
In places like Kununurra, even Broome or Darwin there are skills shortages.

You can make a small fortune as a trady under what ever terms you wish. Contractor, casual etc.

Approach a couple of local companies, ask them for a bit of casual work and they are usually more than happy to oblige. Especially if they are flat out with not enough tradies and a backlog of work.

A trade will even help you get a flying job. It means you know how to work and the boss no doubt needs your skills at his house/office to fix something.

Use all the tools at your disposal to get ahead. :ok:

shpilot
9th Jun 2011, 00:58
Like GG said, a trade will help you get work ASAP and some good coin before the first flying job comes along. If you want some better coin, head out to the mines and work a roster where you can fly in and fly out of broome, kunners, darwin etc. Every 2nd week you come back to town, go aorund and update your resumes.

Are you actually qualified at the moment though? I wouldn't be wasteing time getting a qualification up. Get up there and start looking for flying work!

Power
9th Jun 2011, 01:14
Thanks for these gems, yeah am fully qualified trade....just need to finish cpl

Howard Hughes
9th Jun 2011, 02:45
You won't have a problem, good move on your part having a trade as a back up, perfect for up North!:ok:

Jack Ranga
9th Jun 2011, 03:29
Power, you are bloody mad.

Move to Melbourne (aviation nirvana) I know of one bloke in particular who's desperate for a good plumber :E I know for a fact that he's after good painters and a chippy (tell your mates) above award rates :E

PropDuster
9th Jun 2011, 07:25
Power

Having a trade is certainly handy in lean flying times.

I've been flip flopping between trade & flying (not by choice) for the past 10 years.

Usually the tools pay a lot better (unless you're prepared to leave Aus)
There's still seems to be a trade shortage in North Queensland so finding a job while you look around shouldn't be to hard, around the ville at least.

If you're prepared to move a little farther north you might try APNG, LNG is going gang busters in PNG at the moment, not enough crew/airframes etc

Good luck

Prop :ok: