PDA

View Full Version : RIAT participation

vernon99
8th Jun 2011, 22:23
Hmmm just looked at the current participation list for this years RIAT, not a lot of anything really, certainly not IMO worth £44. I had hoped the participation list might have perked up by now.

TorqueOfTheDevil
8th Jun 2011, 23:32
Best you don't go then!

stumpey
8th Jun 2011, 23:34
Hmmm. Well apparently there's a "Special" fly past of Air Cadet "Heavy Metal", (Hopefully that will include a brick and a barge each pulled by a chippie so that'll at least make my must watch list :D If only they could get an old winch out. Strewth the runways so long we could have three, - synchronised launching, a brick, a barge and a grass hopper in the middle with the fly past behind. What a Balboa THAT could make!).

Then there's a "Burke" performing on stage at great expense (:confused:), a fun fair, and lots of trade (Non aviation related) stands to keep us busy :eek:.

I expect some two thirds of the display line will be blocked by the Corporate "Suits" (Most of which couldn't tell an airliner from an airship), and their "Hostility sweets" :p as usual, so it wont matter much if the "Family outing", cant get to see much of those noisy pointy things whizzing around this 40th anniversary year.

RIAT - The worlds greatest Military air show. :{ (They shoot old horses to put them out of their misery don't they?).

Roll on Waddo! :ok:

Pitts2112
9th Jun 2011, 01:42
Ah, how I long for the old Air Fete days!

Willard Whyte
9th Jun 2011, 06:09
Roll on Waddo!

It'd be nice to skip it on alternate years.

Pontius Navigator
9th Jun 2011, 07:22
I expect some two thirds of the display line will be blocked by the Corporate "Suits" (Most of which couldn't tell an airliner from an airship), and their "Hostility sweets" :p as usual,

Only way to go dear boy. Been hosted twice. Free drinlies, free sunglasses and a free hat. Mrs PN swapped hers for a Dynarod (or some such) in the next tent offering to allow the gentleman to talk with Miss PN.

Business? Not at all.

Actually like the Finingley airshows of old where aircrew from any 1 Gp station would blag their way into the Officers' enclosure and talk with their mates. The locals were all in No 1s and we would be in sports jackets, slacks, and trilbies to salute the memsahibs. :)

P6 Driver
9th Jun 2011, 07:43
Roll on Waddo??

Reading some other web forums, their participation list is also a little light this year. Not their fault - just the way it is these days.

Mick Strigg
9th Jun 2011, 07:47
Try Yeovilton Air Day. Good line up and plenty of viewing space.

RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2011 (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/establishments/naval-bases-and-air-stations/rnas-yeovilton/rnas-yeovilton-air-day-2009/)

Only £18 too!

GeeRam
9th Jun 2011, 08:04
Try Yeovilton Air Day. Good line up and plenty of viewing space.

Worth the trip now just to see the Sea Vixen :ok:

ChristianR354
9th Jun 2011, 12:08
Not a bad line up of aircraft.

Flying Chinook HC3 will be good to see! :)

chinook240
9th Jun 2011, 14:56
Flying Chinook HC3 will be good to see! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Except it'll be a Mk 2!

Flap62
9th Jun 2011, 15:10
Which, in turn, will look just like every other chinook you've ever seen.

ChristianR354
9th Jun 2011, 16:26
'Except it'll be a Mk 2!'

Should've expected that really!

Gnd
9th Jun 2011, 16:43
No historics then? hear they are all on the ground?

JFZ90
9th Jun 2011, 19:51
£44?

Whats that for - entry and lunch for 2? entry and a ride in an aircraft?

Surely, its not £44 just to get in? Tell me thats not true.

Roadster280
9th Jun 2011, 21:20
How much does the MOD charge for use of the airfield and any associated staff?

Alber Ratman
9th Jun 2011, 21:37
A dire flying display... I wouldn't fork out £44 for that..

Tankertrashnav
9th Jun 2011, 21:48
Only time I ever got into a "hospitality " tent was at Biggin once when I spent the day in the Aircrew Association enclosure. Aged 48 at the time was amused when someone asked me if I'd like to join as they could do with some "young blood"!

Think the ACA has recently folded, so I feel guilty about not joining.

Kreuger flap
9th Jun 2011, 21:49
I wouldn't fork out £44 for that..

Stop your whining. As somebody else said earlier....................Best you don't go then.:ugh:

Alber Ratman
9th Jun 2011, 22:20
Nah, I will enjoy the fact I'm not subsidising your drinking at the hangar bash..:E

Evalu8ter
10th Jun 2011, 06:34
It's a sign of the times I'm afraid; RIAT this year will be a pale imitation of a mid-80's Mildenhall, but times have changed. We no longer have a cold war size budget or military (though in some respects we need both....) and the quality v quantity arguement has been won by the spiralling cost of new equipment.

I've done RIAT as a participant, corporate guest and paying punter. As (static) aircrew it was a blast, as a corporate guest Mrs Eval and I had a fantastic time (dedicated travel route, shuttle bus and seemingly endless Champagne...) but we took the mini-Evals a couple of years ago. With the kids go free initiative we got a family of 6 in for £80. Now that actually represents really good value for a full family day out - certainly compared to a lot of other events. Most kids couldn't give a damn what flies as long as it goes "woosh" and there's a funfair.

Perhaps we're seeing the demise of RIAT as a "spotters" show and it's final metamorphosis into a family day out / corporate junket? Serious avtur-heads are probably better off at Waddington or the usually excellent Yeovilton.

BEagle
10th Jun 2011, 07:08
I haven't visited RIAT for some years now - last time I was there was the day the TypHoon nearly smeared itself across the floor in front of the corporate tents.

But I was once privileged to enjoy RIAT corporate hospitality a few times - but then they introduced Losers' Friday. Instead of inviting minor military folk for the 'proper' RIAT, it was decided that they would only be allowed corporate hostility on the arrivals/practice day - whereas those with real influence would enjoy their junketing on Saturday/Sunday without the fear of some champoo-fuelled SO2/3 politely telling them that their ideas were utter bolleaux. At RIAT Cottesmore, I was once most amused by the behaviour of a Sqn Ldr colleague telling an FSTA bidder precisely what he thought about the concept of PFI mercenary aircrew.

Someone else said to Bastard Bill (who was then working as a Rolls Royce rep) - "You don't remember me, do you? Well, I b£oody well remember you!"...:uhoh:

So, if you get a corporate invite for Friday, politely tell them that you will be busy with service duties then, but would be happy to accept their kind offer on Saturday or Sunday!

dead_pan
10th Jun 2011, 08:35
RIAT this year will be a pale imitation of a mid-80's Mildenhall

Its also a pale imitation of RIAT in the 80s and early 90s. Some of the static displays were massive - I remember one when they had 30+ Hercs lined up (yet another commemoration of something or other).

Airpolice - c.£100K on T&S? Its not like they have far to go to work, is it? Unless of course Mr Prince et al have to travel the world to see how other airshows are run, and press the flesh with prospective corporate attendees.

The finances of airshows must be marginal to say the least. You get a hold shed load of money in from gate receipts, corporate & trade stands, sponsorships etc. However, you have to shell out a huge pile of cash on all manner of staff, kit, insurance etc etc. At the end you are hopefully left with something other than an overdraft.

stbd lukout
10th Jun 2011, 23:02
WIth the demise of Lyneham, who's going to hold the diversion commitment? Surely the lack of a military base close by is going to drive up the cost of admission with respect to civilian airport landing charges in the event of a diversion. Could the use of Fairford be questionable in the future?

rafmatt
11th Jun 2011, 14:54
I should imagine most of the Airforces are busy else where in the world doing what they are paid to do.

mymatetcm
12th Jun 2011, 10:03
Aviaticka pout Pardubice £6 entry, a good old fashioned air show, lots to see and do. and food and drink sensible 50p a burger for example.

YouTube - ‪Aviatická pout okem HTC DHD‬‏

Geezers of Nazareth
12th Jun 2011, 22:15
I think that I can beat the Pardubice event ... Caslav in the Czech Republic at the end of May. Cost of entry was zero, nada, zip, zilch.

I didn't buy any beers or burgers, but they didn't seem to be very expensive, and all the tat/gizzits/memorabilia was equally cheap too. A coffee mug cost £2, but in the UK would probably have cost 2-3 times as much. Quite a few interesting aircraft on display, and and some interesting flying too - some co-ordinated flying by some light combat a/c involving lots of smoke, bangs and pyros had all the locals oohing and aahing. The local JAS-39 Gripen flew very well (and very noisily!), and the weather was just perfect.

And the Czech ladies walking around were very nice too.

And, what's more, there was no 'display team' in attendance, so the show still went ahead despite not attracting the attention of any big name acts.

It was a very good example of the Czech showing how their taxes are spent, and it went down very well with the locals. So, the Czechs can do it once a year, the Dutch can do it once a year, the French can do it several times a year, the yanks do it dozens of times each year; so why are we so different ... why can't I see my taxes being spent on defence, instead of reading about it?!

Going back to the original posting ... I've been a Fairford regular since 1974, but even I'm beginning to think that they've lost their direction somehow.

Roland Pulfrew
13th Jun 2011, 18:36
With the demise of Lyneham, who's going to hold the diversion commitment?

Er, Brize?

Surely the lack of a military base close by is going to drive up the cost of admission with respect to civilian airport landing charges in the event of a diversion.

Brize?? ;)

Bubblewindow
14th Jun 2011, 20:55
Surely the lack of a military base close by is going to drive up the cost of admission with respect to civilian airport landing charges in the event of a diversion.

We diverted to Filton after RIAT 2009, with an indicated hydraulic failure 5 mins out from Fairford. Red lights flashing, undercarriage down immediatly, find an airfield. Landed on, shut down and on walking up the ramp to what I assume was the Ops building to use the time to take a leak (didnt want to soil my immersion suit, dam pre-flight/morning after coffee) I was greeted by a civvie who immediatly asked "How are you paying for the landing fees?" :hmm:
"Are you all ok?" "Hows the aircraft?" "What Happened?" Nope....."How are you paying?" The very sharp curved blade of my crew knife in my suit seemed a good choice of payment!! :E

BW.

TorqueOfTheDevil
14th Jun 2011, 23:04
The very sharp curved blade of my crew knife in my suit seemed a good choice of payment!!

You're clearly not Brit Mil then - our aircrew knives are sh!te!

Bubblewindow
15th Jun 2011, 09:26
You're clearly not Brit Mil then - our aircrew knives are sh!te!
Your right I'm not Brit Mil, but so are our knives as sharp as a marble. A quick visit to our machine shop and a tool grinder sorted that out!!
Don't fancy hanging in my harness or the raft goin down with the aircraft after (god forbid) becoming a submersible !!

Cheers,
BW

bar fly
15th Jun 2011, 14:53
There may not be anything in particular at the moment jumping off the page of listed flying aircraft, but I've always found the weekend to be great fun, and an enjoyable experience. We even managed to entertain ourselves the weekend when the show was binned a couple of years ago due to water-logged carparks.

We've decided to give the Pimms enclosure a go this time for an additional fee, so hopefully that will make the day itself all the more pleasant. Anyone been in there before?

Here's hoping the sun shows up, and even if it doesn't we'll enjoy it anyway. If you expect something to disappoint, it probably will.

:ok:

Brewers Droop
15th Jun 2011, 21:24
I was once a "little un" dragged almost year after year to the Finningley Air Show of the 70s and early 80s. While my Dad mumbled about the prices and bought the burgers, my mates and I just collected the freebies, thrilled at the ground shaking noise of the Lightning, Phantom, Buccaneer etc shooting past, while trying to get a wave from a taxying pilot. I even remember Concorde up close and personal. One particular year I witnessed something that has always stuck in my mind; the power of a multi Vulcan Scramble (I think 81 but could be wrong?). I must admit on that day started a love of military aviation that motivated me through Airfix Membership, school (ATC), University (UAS), into the RAF (OASC, IOT), back through Finningley, and into a career that 20 years later, and despite all the current negative sides, I still secretly enjoy (or is it purely an addiction to the smell of avtur?).

Yes, the complications of money, politics, family and being away in horrible parts of the world for dubious politics all the time gets in the way and suppresses the child still in me. But I’ve had the opportunity to be the guy waving back at the crowd and these days it’s my “little uns” gasping and shouting at the noise and speed while I fetch the burgers and mumble about the bl@@@y cost of it all. Though my eldest daughter has an unhealthy love of the Chinook that I simply can't understand.

Shame there will be no UK Harrier this year though………. :sad:

TorqueOfTheDevil
15th Jun 2011, 23:50
the power of a multi Vulcan Scramble (I think 81 but could be wrong?).

Now that's a lot of Vulcans!

Ascot 5999
16th Jun 2011, 18:32
BEagle, you're quite right. Fri is for 1*s and wannabes. I did smile at the t*ats swanning about in panama hats sporting the "dangler" which admits them to the hospitality tents.

Some years ago Friend Ascot and self got to know the lovely lady who managed the Eurofighter "tent". Access Sat and Sun, a small group none of the Hooray Henrys (p*ssed and annoying). Also blagged entrance to Huntings "tent" with Brian Hoskins (Gp Capt retd) ex Red Arrows boss as the host.

Sigh - they WERE the days.

Ascot

BEagle
16th Jun 2011, 19:10
BEagle, you're quite right. Fri is for 1*s and wannabes. I did smile at the t*ats swanning about in panama hats sporting the "dangler" which admits them to the hospitality tents.

And the silly thing is, those who issue the Friday invites haven't yet worked out that they're considered an insult!

I once won the mates' 'wanquerre spotter' award one Saturday at RIAT Cottesmore when I spotted B@stard Bill deep in conversation with The Scottish Officer...:yuk: No-one could trump that!!

Ascot 5999
16th Jun 2011, 21:51
BEagle: "I once won the mates' 'wanquerre spotter' award one Saturday at RIAT Cottesmore when I spotted B@stard Bill deep in conversation with The Scottish Officer...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif No-one could trump that!"

Ah, the Scottish Officer aka the Scottish Knight. Doubtless a thread in itself, but not for the faint-hearted. :eek:

melipona
17th Jun 2011, 11:15
For the optimistic fungals amongst us:

Book a Saturday or Sunday General Admission ticket between 00.01Hrs on Saturday 18th June and 23:59 on Sunday 19th June using promotion code IAT058 and you will get a 2012 ticket for free. Limited to one ticket per order per household.

Rigex
20th Jun 2011, 09:54
Don't forget the Austrians;

AIRPOWER11: Home (http://www.airpower.gv.at/en/home/) :)

I'm Off!
20th Jun 2011, 09:58
Sure there'll still be a RIAT (or even an RAF) in 2012?

Finningley Boy
20th Jun 2011, 12:41
[QUOTE][/
Don't forget the Austrians;

AIRPOWER11: Home (http://www.airpower.gv.at/en/home/) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
QUOTE]

I notice how much they're able to do, and imaginatively, with their small number of Typhoons.:confused:

FB:)