PDA

View Full Version : Microlight (3 axis or flexwing) for the larger build

vfrrider481
8th Jun 2011, 17:50
Folks,

Looking for suggestions for 450kg aircraft which are suitable for the larger build.

I am 6'3" and 100 kg and am looking to identify suitable aircraft which could take me, an instructor and enough fuel for at least an hour with reserves. I am potentially looking for a sub 10 kg instructor :E

I already have a licence, but will be limited to NPPL for medical reasons. With the up coming EASA changes I anticipate I would not be medically fit for the new LAPL as I can only meets DVLA class 1 standard, but could theoretically still fly microlights or gyroplanes under the remaining national NPPL requlations.

Thanks in advance,

VFR

magpienja
8th Jun 2011, 18:15
New or used....what price range????

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2011, 18:25
This became a very hot issue in the microlight world some years ago, as result several of the manufacturers started certifying or recertifying for quite high seat loads.

Obvious aeroplanes (to me) might be:

Flexwings
=======
- Air Creation, any of the 450kg kits (iXess, Tanarg, KISS-450) all have an MTOW of 450kg, empty weight around 250kg, and maximum seat load of 120kg per seat (possibly 105kg in some older models). Sold in the UK by Flylight at Sywell.
- P&M Quik GT450: MTOW 450kg, empty weight around 250kg, seat limit 110kg.
- Pegasus Quantum: MTOW 409kg, empty weight around 205kg, seat limit 110kg. Probably the cheapest option, lots on the second hand market as everybody who had one was desperate to get a Quik as soon as they came out. 503 engine is underpowered: get a 582 or 912 engined version, latter is nicer but heavier.

3-axis
=====
- The Reality Escapade has a 450kg MTOW, empty weight around 260kg, maximum seat load of 120kg per seat. (Buy the taildragger version, much nicer ground handling than the castoring nosewheel version, and looks right too.)
- The tandem Reality Easy Raider has the same MTOW, but is usually substantially lighter, and is limited to 100kg per seat. It however doesn't have dual controls and the rear seat is horribly cramped.
- Sky Ranger, 450kg MTOW, empty weight about 260kg, maximum seat load of 120kg per seat (if you get a lighter 582 engined version, try and put a 3:47:1 C or E type gearbox on it)

G

RTN11
8th Jun 2011, 19:10
A C42 is a good all rounder, great climb performance with either 80 or 100 HP, the seat is usually fixed but i've taken some pretty big people (both tall and wide) up and they never usually have a problem.

It's about 260kg empty, add 100kg plus a 75kg instructor leaves 15kg for fuel to the 450kg limit.

That's just over 20 litres, which at 12 litres/hour fuel burn gives you 1 hour 45 mins.

The fact is that the 450kg limit is a legal limitation set in the UK rather than a performance limitation that you would find on your PA28 or C172. In other countries the max weight can vary, and somehow if you fit a ballistic parachute you can fly it at 470kg.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2011, 21:50
C42 has a 172kg total cockpit occupancy limit, so you need to find a 72kg instructor - I'm sure there must be one somewhere, but I'm not sure whom!

An MTOW limit is based upon a combination of performance and structural limitations and is there on all aeroplanes, and there are other limits that restrict other aircraft classes (VLAs can't go above 750kg, SLMGs 850kg...)

The 472.5kg limit is a concession for fitment of a BRS but the aeroplane has to take all of the regulatory flight loads at that higher weight. Looking at the TADS, it looks like the C42 was probably just over-engineered enough that it could be done as a paper exercise - but I'd not rely upon that being true for all 450kg microlights.

G

vfrrider481
10th Jun 2011, 08:53
Thanks folks,

I potentially have about £10k to spend and therefore would be looking for predominantly shares or possibly a used flexwing microlight.

Ghengis,

Many thanks for your posts, exactly what I'm looking for as the microlight world is a new one to me. The weight is one issue but I suspect my height would be less of an issue in an open cockpit of flexwing than some of the modern three axis aircraft. I must admit the C42, jabiru etc. all look a bit tight for my sort of height.

Many thanks,

VFR

magpienja
10th Jun 2011, 09:22
Will you be wanting to carry passengers...if not opens up lots of other possibility's.....I fly a 17 year old flex with a seat weight of 110kg...I am 6ft tall and fit no problem,

I can carry passengers but have to be careful with there weight...but most of the time its just me.

Nick.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jun 2011, 09:24
I don't think he comes on here all that often now, but you could do worse than email BIGFLYINGROB, he's switched to "Group A" now, but is a long term microlight pilot who would make you look quite small.

He used to have an MW6T (horrible aeroplane in my opinion, but basically safe) but was an instructor and check pilot at one point so should be able to tell you what he fits, or doesn't of a reasonable selection of microlight types.

You could also try contacting Flylight at Sywell -Paul Dewhurst, their CFI is I think a bit over 6ft3", and they also usually have some fairly young FIs there who haven't been infected by middle-aged spread, so may be well suited to help you out with the differences training.

G