PDA

View Full Version : Is Sywell safe to taxi and park?

IO540
8th Jun 2011, 16:12
Referring to the upcoming Aero Expo thingy there.

I imagine they will park the hordes of planes on grass. How good is the surface, and the hard/grass trasitions? I've got 8" prop clearance but this is easily used up if the surface is rough.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2011, 16:57
Historically pretty good, and the new hard runway should have helped a lot.

However, it's also rained quite a lot the last week and this may continue.

If I were you, I'd phone one of the flying schools there and get a local opinion.

Brooklands flying club on 01604 496600 would be the obvious people to ask.

G

N.B. Pprune lunch at AeroExpo anybody?

thing
8th Jun 2011, 19:08
I've been there twice in the last couple of weeks, C172 and the grass is OK. Not billiard table smooth but just take it steady with taxiing and you'll be OK. Be aware that they do use the grass runways regularly if the wind is into them, I think 23 which is the one I landed on last week is 600 metres, I'm not sure what your TB20 is like for that sort of length.

Edit: You get fined if you wear a high vis vest too...............:)

I like Sywell.

IO540
8th Jun 2011, 19:51
600m grass is a bit on the short side... depending on the headwind of course.

It's way too short for great many GA aircraft.

thing
8th Jun 2011, 19:55
If you wanted to take the tarmac they are quite amenable, up to you really. It's only 20 degrees difference and 1200 metres plus. Also if you land on 21 you get a hard taxi all the way to the pumps, you would have to park on the grass of course.

007helicopter
8th Jun 2011, 23:27
Taxied the Cirrus 3 times in the last month across the Sywell grass which is generally good condition, no problem and it has 7" clearance,

Chilli Monster
9th Jun 2011, 09:27
Have taken my TB20 into Sywell (pre hard runway) on many occasions with no problems. Always been dry though.

Conventional Gear
9th Jun 2011, 12:22
There use to be one or two interesting humps and bumps on the grass surface, not been there though since the hard runway was completed.

You can spot them easily if they are still there, best be aware of them though.