PDA

View Full Version : Boat driving licence.

littlejet
8th Jun 2011, 15:17
Can someone point me into a right direction?
I have never owned a boat but would like to learn to drive-sail one and eventually buy/lease a small one in Dubai.
Where should I start?
Costs?
Not aviation related I know but...

L.

jackx123
8th Jun 2011, 16:22
go down to the marina i'm sure someone there has a license

Buford
8th Jun 2011, 16:47
The scuba centre at the Atlantis hotel also does boat licence stuff. I've only dived with them but they seem like a good operation so worth a call.

Paulok
9th Jun 2011, 06:36
Dubai offshore sailing Club does RYA powerboat level 1 and 2 as well as the RYA yachtmaster certification. www.dosc.ae (http://www.dosc.ae)
You technically do not need any licence here to skipper a boat but the RYA certification is recognised internationally.

sharksucker
9th Jun 2011, 07:27
For Power boat no license required. For a sailing boat you will need a license, heard it takes about a weekend or so. I would try with one of the sailing clubs.

GANNET FAN
9th Jun 2011, 07:37
Sharksucker, that seems like the wrong way round!

Aussie
9th Jun 2011, 08:07
Exactly my thoughts! Love it :ok:

Dubaian
9th Jun 2011, 09:28
Sharksucker, that seems like the wrong way round! but so typical of the Middle East. Years ago I tried to insure a Laser dinghy in Kuwait.
"What size engine does it have?"
"It hasn't got an engine"
"Then we can't insure it"

It was wrecked by the Iraqis so I guess it wouldn't have been covered anyway - act of war and all that.
BTW apart from licences or the lack of them for the helm, the boats themselves do need to be registered in UAE.

(Edit - why does the site profanity checker not like the word Laser ? That's not how I typed it)

Vagrant
9th Jun 2011, 13:10
None required for either (sailing boat nor power boat, unless over a certain tonnage). Check Dosc, you don't have to be a member to do the courses.

V

littlejet
10th Jun 2011, 13:46
Thnx to all.
Will try some of the clubs.