PDA

View Full Version : Logging hours & 90 day rule.

tomboo
8th Jun 2011, 13:04
I'll keep this as simple as I can, hopefully someone can shed some light on the truth!!

- I obtained my PPL in Florida so am flying with instructors until I'm ready for UK airspace.

- I didn't fly for 90 days after getting my licence.
- Can I log the hours I have done with instructors recently as P1, making me valid for the 90 Day rule.
- For two of these flights we had a passenger, does that effect whether I can log as P1 as I was out of the 90 day rule at the time? If so can I log hours where I haven't had a passenger !

I have flown at three different schools and have had three different opinions on the law!

1 - Flight was P u/t - Not able to log as P1
2 - Flight was P1 under supervision - Not counting to 90 Day Rule
3 - Flight was P1 under supervision - Able to log all hours towards 90 day even with pax.

The question is - who is telling the truth!!

RTN11
8th Jun 2011, 13:09
The 90 day rule simply states that you must perform 3 take off and landings as sole manipulator of the controls in order to carry passengers.

Makes no difference if you were P1, Pu/t or P1/s as long as you were sole manipulator.

In terms of logging time with an instructor when you have a licence and are just doing refresher training or club checkouts, you really need to clarify with the instructor before hand. If he's happy to just be there in an advisory role, you can sign out as PIC and log P1. If he puts his name as captain when booking out, and he logs the time, you can only log Pu/t (pilot under training).

P1/s or PICUS (pilot in command under supervision) is a special case which only applies to a successful skills test. It is often incorrectly used for a club checkout with an instructor, or the typical circuit check required if you haven't flown for 28 days and want to hire an aircraft.

jollyrog
8th Jun 2011, 15:38
Can anyone tell me which is the best headset please?

mrmum
8th Jun 2011, 15:56
:E That's funny :ok:, let's not knock people too much for asking though. The search function isn't always easy to use and he has had a bit of conflicting advice

jxc
8th Jun 2011, 15:56
jollyrog that was a bit random 90 day rule to best headset ?
if you use the search there is loads of pages on headsets

mrmum
8th Jun 2011, 16:20
Think we really need a "sarcasm in use" icon don't we?

Oh, there is one, bottom right of the smilies box! :rolleyes:

FlyingForFun
8th Jun 2011, 19:24
RTN11 is 100% correct. And yes, there are lots of threads on this, but it is a very confusing subject with lots of incorrect advice being given.

Let's look at the options:

a) PICUS. Absolutely not. This is reserved purely for special cases: successful flight tests, some specific cases that relate to integrated courses training towards professional licenses, and being co-pilot on a multi-pilot aircraft e.g. a B737 but acting as pilot-flying .

b) P1. There is a possiblity, when doing a club checkout, that you can be P1. It's up to the instructor whether he is happy to do this. If he does, he will act as a passenger for all legal purposes, and you will have the final say on any decisions about the flight, not him. Because of this, lots of instructors aren't happy to do this. However, in your case, this is not an option: you clearly stated in your first post that you had not flown for 90 days prior to the checkout. This makes you illegal to carry passengers - including carrying your "instructor" while you log P1 and he acts as a passenger. However, after having done 3 take-offs and 3 landings as sole manipulator of the controls (no help from the instructor), then, if the instructor wants to, he can allow you to be P1 for the rest of your checkout.

c) This only leaves the other alternative, which is that the instructor was P1, and you were PUT. This is the default situation.

If there is any doubt, it must be cleared up before the flight. Imagine you have an engine failure, you pick one field but your instructor picks another field. This is not the time to be deciding who has the final say!!!

If you want a reference for this, it is LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_LASORS%202010%20Bookmarked.pdf), Section A, Appendix B. Although this is one question which it fails to answer adequately.

FFF
--------------