PDA

View Full Version : Major EK order at Dubai show?

akerosid
7th Jun 2011, 21:25
EK is hinting strongly at the possibility of a major order - most likely for upgraded 777-300ERs and A350s, at this year's DXB air show.

TC says that more A380s are unlikely, because of space constraints, although this seems rather odd, in that any A380s delivered under a top up order would not be delivered for at least 8-10 years, by which time the new airport would surely be fully operational?

EK is strongly prodding Boeing for an upgraded 77W, while it has also hinted at the conversion of some A350-900 order to the -1000 model; interestingly, RR announced an upgrade to the thrust of the A350-1000 engine, possibly at the behest of EK?

Good news anyway ...

More planes on the cards as Emirates expands - The National (http://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/more-planes-on-the-cards-as-emirates-expands)

Rule3
7th Jun 2011, 21:54
Good news for?

Dubaian
8th Jun 2011, 06:58
akerosid isn't the new airport intended for everyone but EK ?
Understood they're staying put - but admittedly with a bit more space there - was that what you meant?
Still only the new terminal at DXB International, now under construction, fully geared up for the A380s however, so more space on Ts 1-3 won't help with them.

10 DME ARC
8th Jun 2011, 07:10
My money on more A380's, talking about another 60! As countries restrict new services, putting 380's on present routes will be one of the few options to expand to these countries!! Just heard the second runway at DWC been approved talk is it will be one of the far field ones about 4km from present runway!!

vikas7
8th Jun 2011, 08:03
Sounds like very interesting,
Glad to find this information about this show.
dubaiuseditems<DOT>com/

springbok449
8th Jun 2011, 10:27
I hear that the news from Seattle is that Mr Boeing has told airlines that no more upgrades for the 777.

There was some talks a while back that Boeing were looking at 380.0T take off weight for the "improved" 777 however this no longer appears to be the case as it would be too much competition for the 747-800 as far as payload is concerned...

MrMachfivepointfive
8th Jun 2011, 13:34
The 747-8I is as dead as they come. At least as dead as Airbusses A340-500. To reign in the champion in order to protect a dead horse would not be a smart move, me thinks.

akerosid
8th Jun 2011, 20:44
Quote: "I hear that the news from Seattle is that Mr Boeing has told airlines that no more upgrades for the 777."

I think that if EK wants a more capable aircraft, then Boeing will oblige - and I doubt if EK is the only one asking for this. With the 748I not likely to see a lot more and the 787-10 unlikely to have anything like the range of the 77W, this is Boeing's flagship long hauler and I am very sure that Boeing is actively looking at ways to improve it.

saywhat
11th Jun 2011, 19:52
I hope when they announce the next big aircraft order they also announce the cunning plan of how they are going to get all the pilots needed to fly them!

Now there's something I've never heard before. Oh wait, everyone's been saying that for the last ten years. Still though, pilots arrive. World population is going to be 7 billion soon. Surely there are some pilots left out there?

777boyindubai
12th Jun 2011, 04:41
Thanks, Seaman Staynes, for the accurate and succinct post :ok:

fatbus
12th Jun 2011, 06:19
Dont forget retirements both 777/AB and if needed for crewing the 380 just retire a few 330 sooner rather than later to help catch up on crewing, still lots needed and only able to fill courses til Aug.

saywhat
12th Jun 2011, 07:28
Seaman Staynes et al... I joined a good few years ago. There was no way that at that time they would ever man all the aircraft on order. Strangely enough, the courses were full, and they haven't even had to increase the package yet. I'm thinking that if you believe in Santa hard and long enough, he'll be true in your own mind, but he'll never really exist in the real world.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I'm just saying that the pilot group in EK are normally way off the mark with their doomsday predictions. Management might be perceived to be a bunch of w@nkers, but there are still about 2500 pilots keeping their a/c flying. My guess is that in a years time people will still be wondering where the pilots will come from, the courses will still be booked, there will still be instructors, and the package will still be about the same....

Perhaps I'm wrong, but until then, I will whistle on my way to work, not because I'm a management stooge, but because it's a choice I can make. The other alternative is to be miserable. This too is a choice. If I am wrong, you guys get to say "I told you so", and I promise to buy the beer on layovers.

If I'm right, we'll just wait another year.

Wizofoz
12th Jun 2011, 09:27
Training Dept - critically short of guys, you can't resign from training any more and I suggest not enough are applying due to terms and conditions.

SS,

Accurate except for the bit about can't resign.

You might be begged and pleaded with not to resign from training, but not prevented.

donpizmeov
12th Jun 2011, 14:47
Oh come on Mr staynes, Little boy JA said last Aug that all roster problems would be fixed by Oct. In Dec he and MM stated that they had taken charge of manning problems and the future would be better by Feb. We only have to guess at what year they are referring to and all will be bight and rosy:ok:

Chaps in recruiting had 1 or 2 out of the 16 candidates pass per week in May. So they only have to interview another 11200 pilots if that continues to fill the 700 pilots required in the next 12 months :E. Think of the revenue if we start charging these fellas to fly to DXB for the interview like the good old days. Profit share target will be assured by this alone. Charge them for the hotel stay and all of Dubai's money woes will also be fixed as well.

We need a good PWO to come sort this lot out.

the Don

Kapitanleutnant
13th Jun 2011, 09:11
To continue the off topic from the original post.....

Pilot Shortage at EK? One word answer....

OUT-BASING! If possible, guarantee out-basing after say 2 or 3 years of EK service and adjust pay accordingly.

Sydney, London, NY.

Pilot shortage solved at EK!!!

Kapitan

Ya, I know it'll never happen, but it IS THEE answer!

GoreTex
16th Jun 2011, 06:09
add 10.000 dhs to the package and have a fair upgrade policy according seniority, that will do the job.

maybe a change in attitude towards RJ pilots will help too, know a guy who has 8000 command on an RJ but doesnt qualify for right seat A380, LOL

Shadowsonclouds
16th Jun 2011, 10:03
Why won't the 787 work? With the new RR engine ETOPS extension etc?

I can't see the A350 being ready on time.....like most recent commercial jets.

Orangewing
16th Jun 2011, 10:58
Its nothing to do with ETOPS, range etc. It simply can't carry enough passengers to meet EK requirements.

halas
16th Jun 2011, 19:40
RR = Rotating Rubbish
GE = Great Engines
Not sure what CFM equals :8

(And RR also equals stupid and unnecessary EPR)

halas

cf680c2b
17th Jun 2011, 17:28
Not sure what CFM equals

Cute Flimsy Motor

R6DXB
17th Jun 2011, 18:57
And RR also equals stupid and unnecessary EPRsame goes for IAE - Idiots At Engineering but RR has got their fingers in there as well

White Knight
17th Jun 2011, 19:06
(And RR also equals stupid and unnecessary EPR)

halas

I like EPR:sad::sad::sad:

halas
18th Jun 2011, 08:17
...And that is exactly why it is used on RR engines!!! ;)

halas

Wizofoz
22nd Jun 2011, 04:27
Seems a higher MTOW 777 IS still under consideration:-

From a report on the Paris Airshow-

General Electric would begin testing a new compressor next year with a view to developing its GE90 engine in order to be ready when Boeing decided the next step for 777, GE Aviation chief executive David Joyce said in Paris.