PDA

View Full Version : India confirms 10(possibly 16) C-17's

fallmonk
7th Jun 2011, 14:28
Keyaero.com reporting 10 C-17's to be orderered with a possible 6 more !
I know it's over simplifying things, but does annoy me when the UK armed forces are being forced to penny pinch.
At the same time we send millions in aid over to them. ! And they are placing a order like this AND the up coming fighter order .

India confirms C-17 deal

India has cleared the proposal to buy ten Boeing C-17 Globemasters.
Gary Parsons - 7-Jun-2011

Boeing image
June 7: The Indian Cabinet Committee on Security has cleared the proposal to buy ten Boeing C-17 Globemaster heavy lift aircraft worth $4.1 billion, reports the Economic Times.

On January 1, 2010 the Indian government officially requested to purchase the ten from the US government. Subsequently on April 22, 2010, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of the possible Foreign Military Sale to India plus associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $5.8 billion. Media reports from early June 2010 confirmed that Congressional approval was given.

Yesterday’s approval by the Indian government opens the door to the signing of a formal contract, which will likely to see initial deliveries begin in 2013. "The CCS meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, cleared the proposal for purchase of the planes from the US through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route," an Indian Defence Ministry official said.

In addition it has also been reported in the Indian press that further negotiations are likely to take place regarding the acquisition of another six aircraft, raising the total to 16. The deal is the biggest defence contract between the two countries.

Wander00
7th Jun 2011, 14:34
I am (unusually, some will say) speechless. If they can afford an order like this, whay are we giving them aid, how much and for what? perhaps the aid stream should be reversed!

Getting my coat!

November4
7th Jun 2011, 14:45
That's about 1 of the C17s that the British aid has paid for....wonder if we can claim any usage for our investment?

draken55
7th Jun 2011, 14:57
HMG believes giving aid is good for the UK. As our economic decline continues, perhaps it's nice to be nice to those on the way up that we will pass on our way down!:(

Lets' not forget the substantial Indian investment in our Steel Industry, Jaguar Cars and Blackburn Rovers.:O

muppetofthenorth
7th Jun 2011, 15:47
How much do you want to bet that if we stopped giving aid that the Typhoon doesn't stand a chance of getting picked...?

draken55
7th Jun 2011, 16:16
Of course we also give aid to Pakistan who despite the "war on terror" still has India at the forefront of its Defence concerns. Hence the offer to China of a Naval Base. As the following Janes News Brief confirmed:-

"Pakistan asks China to take over Arabian coast port
Pakistan has asked China to take over the running of Gwadar port and to build a naval base at the Arabian Sea coast facility. A senior Pakistani government official told Jane's that Islamabad is keen for China to expand its naval presence in the Indian Ocean Region [IOR] and "benefit from the naval base at Gwadar for maintenance and repair of Chinese vessels as well as rest and recreation". Pakistani officials made the request during Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani's four-day visit to Beijing that started on 17 May."

jamesdevice
7th Jun 2011, 17:53
Indian Defense Market - Largest Arms Importer says Stockholm International Peace Research Institute | India Defence (http://www.india-defence.com/reports-5058)

"011-03-13 In its race to join the club of international powers, India has reached another milestone -- it is now the world's largest weapons importer. A Swedish think tank that monitors global arms sales has said that India's weapons imports had overtaken China's, as the South Asian nation pushes ahead with plans to modernise its military and gain international clout.
"......
"According to the report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, India accounted for nine per cent of all international arms imports in the period from 2006 to 2010, and it is expected to keep the top spot for the foreseeable future. "Just from what they have already ordered, we know that in the coming few years India will be the top importer," "

How much do they get it aid from USA / France / Russia?

StopStart
7th Jun 2011, 18:36
I wonder if those nice Indian chaps would be interested in a C130J instructor to help them along with their other new purchases?

http://defense-update.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/c-130j_india.jpg

I can supply my own safari suit, sword and goose feathered pith helmet. In return I would require a punkah wallah and an elephant to ride to work....

Biggus
7th Jun 2011, 18:50
....but do you like curry?

thunderbird7
7th Jun 2011, 21:05
Don't be silly! He's a pilot and EVERYONE knows that aeroplanes run on beer and curry!

TBM-Legend
7th Jun 2011, 22:22
The economic malaise of the West has caught up at the same time as the economic rise of the East/Far East.

We've done to ourselves with greed, mismanagement, feminisation of everything, artificial "glass ceiling " policies, political correctness gone mad and letting the over educated idiots into power. Bit like taking a leak in the swimming pool. No-one notices until everyone starts doing it and voila - a stinking mess!

Soon Britain and others will be able to apply for a bailout from them....:sad:

TheWizard
7th Jun 2011, 22:27
gulftoday.ae | India, Pakistan continue to amass nukes: SIPRI (http://gulftoday.ae/portal/c8f5c1bb-08cd-4bda-a2a5-ecb0c913c827.aspx?)

M609
8th Jun 2011, 10:01
I am (unusually, some will say) speechless. If they can afford an order like this, whay are we giving them aid, how much and for what? perhaps the aid stream should be reversed!

The debt amassed since 1613 or thereabouts is not paid back yet?? ;) ;)

Wannabe Flyer
8th Jun 2011, 10:16
Very complex issue but yes the UK aid amount is about GBP 295 million. Still trying to figure out why it also gives out aid in the same breadth. Seems almost to be a 0 sum game!

*As per the latest stats India is to give $450 million in aid to various countries.

More importantly the next $20 billion in defense sales has gone all to the US and Europe. A dramatic move away from Russia!!

More jobs to all

BombayDuck
8th Jun 2011, 20:27
Can anyone point me to ANY information on how much "aid" goes to India and more importantly, *what* it goes to? I read "developmental programmes" and the like, but never see a list of agencies. For what it's worth, I think the UK shouldn't give aid.

Stop Start - Come wearing all that and they'll put you in the first Republic Day parade there is. And you'll be a palace guard for our many Maharajas for the rest of your life :E

Biggus - British "curry" and Indian curries are worlds apart, if you must know. There's no guarantee of SS actually liking the food there ;)

Wannabe Flyer - The Indian Military is mighty peeved with the Russians for apparently reneging on contracts and being very late with equipment supply (which often is incomplete - I've heard that the Naval Fulcrums were all sent without towing equipment for the carriers). Apart from a couple of high-profile projects, everything seems to be going towards the west.

Wannabe Flyer
9th Jun 2011, 04:26
Bombay Duck

As per reports India gets about $2.2 Billion in Aid annually from all nations mostly via the World Bank in the form of loans. Not really significant but considering how business is done always a good idea to keep your line of credit open.

I was sad the Grippen got axed. Now lets see which of the 2 make it thru but $12 billion is a good sum plus the $10 billion the US will get.

Footnote: Indians have $428 billion stashed in various banks including the Channel Islands. Maybe the aid is to ensure the government does not insist on this money being withdrawn.

StopStart
9th Jun 2011, 05:28
BD - Happy days; as long as I get an elephant to ride to work I'm happy. :ok:

Wannabe Flyer
9th Jun 2011, 08:05
SS

Be careful with what you wish

Wild elephant enters human habitat, gores Mysore bank guard to death (http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110609/jsp/nation/story_14090408.jsp)

500N
9th Jun 2011, 08:17
Any good RAF officer would have all his Safari gear in the quarters ready to go and be able to handle Elephant indiscretions like this, just like the old times.

Pith helmet, Double Rifle, gun bearer:)