PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Inspiring Flight

Dick Smith
7th Jun 2011, 06:37
I’m not sure if many know, but there is an extraordinary bloke by the name of Dave Sykes who is a paraplegic and who is currently flying a trike – yes, that’s a hang-glider with an engine on the seat – from England to Australia.

I have been looking at his site and reading his blogs – see HERE (http://www.soloflightglobal.com)- and it’s probably the most inspiring adventure I have heard of in my whole life.

Just how he actually copes after he lands is beyond belief. Also, flying a trike is fantastic and without much risk when the weather conditions are good and the wind is below about 10 knots. I land if there is ever a wind over 10 knots, but in this case, Dave Sykes has been flying in winds of over 40 knots!

I hope Dave gets a huge following and a wonderful reception when he arrives in Australia.

Dave Sykes, I dips me lid to you.

HMMECH
7th Jun 2011, 07:36
Its good to read a good news story on here for once! What an inspiration.

thorn bird
7th Jun 2011, 08:16
Geez Dick,
the guy will probably get thrown in Jail as soon as he touches down in OZ.
The Wizard of OZ (AKA the screaming Skull) will decree.."Strict Liability"
The brown shirts will be out in force to tally up the "Penalty points"
and Bob's your Uncle, the red headed emasculated Harpy gets a re-election bonus and once again "Super Skull" defends " Truth Justice and the CASA way"!!

FlareArmed
7th Jun 2011, 10:47
Thanks for posting the story, Dick – I just slipped a few quid to his cause.

Old Akro
8th Jun 2011, 01:22
Fabulous thing. But having recently been kicking round the idea of flying internationally, I can't help but wonder if he still needs to go through the full range of permits, clearances & bureaucracy that registered aircraft do? Meeting the restricted time windows that can be applied could get pretty tough in an ultra light. Does anyone know?

Blueyonda
8th Jun 2011, 01:53
I wouldn't worry about permits/regs just come. Can you imagine the headline,'Aviation regulator beats up paraplegic!' It might highlight inefficiencies and draconian ways even if it is only for negative press.

No disrespect to Mr. Sykes or what he is attempting to do. 1/2 your luck.:ok:

Dick Smith
26th Jul 2011, 23:28
“Wheely” Dave Sykes is incredible. Imagine flying a trike solo from England as far as Jakarta, having to go everywhere in a wheelchair and then climbing from your wheelchair into your trike and then somehow strapping the wheelchair on the back!

Dave Sykes has flown through some of the most extraordinary weather conditions and incredibly high winds – quite an amazing adventure. It is astounding just how well he has done.

Dave is now in Bali and so will arrive in Darwin in a few days, let’s hope. It would be great if any PPRuNers who live in the Darwin area can go and meet him as he comes in.

You should be able to track him from his tracker on his site – see HERE (http://www.soloflightglobal.com/).

Good on you, Dave. To use an Australian expression, I dips me lid to you. You are an extraordinary adventurer!

Dick Smith
6th Aug 2011, 08:59
Dave will attempt the ditch on Monday and is due in to Darwin about 4 - 4.30 pm

Can anyone organize a welcome and also advise the media?

Frank Arouet
6th Aug 2011, 10:52
I wish I could be there to shake Dave's hand. Whoever does, please let him know there are pilots who only dream of such adventures but either don't have the guts or they are constrained by mortal factors that he has courageously overcome.

Good luck mate, I'll be waiting to hear the good news.

Dick Smith
8th Aug 2011, 03:37
Looks as if he is about to land at Troughton Island

Dick Smith
8th Aug 2011, 04:30
Looks as if he is on the ground at Trusscot. Via his website Spot position unit

tail wheel
8th Aug 2011, 07:08
In a hangar:

Latitude: -14.09053
Longitude: 126.38564

Is that Trusscot?

What an amazing achievement!

Dog One
8th Aug 2011, 07:20
What would the TAS be for a Trike?

startingout
8th Aug 2011, 07:34
From the site :
"Powered by the Rotax 912S 100HP four cylinder, four stroke engine the aircraft can fly at speeds of up to 90MPh."

Dick Smith
8th Aug 2011, 13:46
I have spoken to wheely Dave. Very inspiring
Plans to be in Darwin tomorrow afternoon.can a few Darwin locals phone the TV stations and urg them to cover his landing.
Also go out and welcome him. His track will be on his website once he is airborne.

Dick Smith
8th Aug 2011, 23:59
Now in the air. Looks like Darwin about 1.30 pm Darwin time

Debby Nair
9th Aug 2011, 09:28
Was so excited when I was refuelling at Darwin today to see Wheely Dave taxy in and park beside us! Sorry Dick i didn't see your message re contacting the Australian. Didn't get much of a chance to talk to him - the local media were there to film his arrival - actually they got there a little late and were asking him to get all his flying gear on again and taxi back in for the camera. Will look forward to reading more about his adventures on his blog. Slipped him some folding stuff to buy himself several very cold beers as a welcome to Darwin :ok:

Dick Smith
11th Aug 2011, 22:43
Interesting article in the aviation section of The Australian this morning about "Wheely" Dave. See link HERE (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/micro-light-flyer-defies-all-odds-with-solo-flight-from-uk-to-australia/story-e6frg95x-1226113286332)

Mimpe
11th Aug 2011, 23:01
Thats one tough guy.
The paperwork for the trip would be problem enough...

Stiill, some of the happiest moments of my life have been flying adventures.

He'll never forget this!

CharlieLimaX-Ray
12th Aug 2011, 03:15
Hand the man a cigar!

Dick, perhaps you could use your media contacts to get the guy some publicity for his arrival on the east coast?

Tee Emm
12th Aug 2011, 09:17
Today's Australian newspaper aviation section. One of the articles among all the advertisements, says "Solo Flyer defies all odds". Usual journalistic exaggeration I thought until I read further. It was about the first paraplegic to fly solo from England to Australia in a micro-light aircraft. His name is Dave Sykes who lost the use of his legs in a motor cycle accident. His micro-light is fitted with specially designed hand controls that allow Sykes to pilot without the use of his legs.

Sykes began his journey in North Yorkshire, England and flew more than 20,000km across shark infested waters and through rough weather with his sights set on Sydney for his destination. His blog Solo Flight Global (http://www.soloflightglobal.com) recalls his most difficult challenges, including being detained airside in Saudi Arabia for 36 hours. He had no understanding of foreign languages, no money, no sponsors and no liaison waiting at the next airfield.

Aviator Dick Smith, who made the same journey in a helicopter in 1982, says it is the most extraordinary story he has ever heard. He said "I was in a modern helicopter with a cabin, so I can't imagine doing it in one of these hang gliders with no enclosure - what if you drop your map even for one second..I consider him one of the greatest adventurers of all time."

In Melbourne today thousands of people lined the streets to cheer on Cadel Evans the wealthy professional cyclist who recently won a prestigious bike race in France. There were speeches by politicians and all the razzle-dazzle of a welcome home of a sporting `hero`. The Melbourne Age newspaper even published a giant Cadel Evans poster for fans to pin up in their bedrooms. The media was full of Cadel Evans homecoming.

Without detracting from the joyous screaming of the thousands of Cadel Evans fans and his undoubted physical fitness and endurance in winning a tough race, I wonder if Sydney will lay on a similar reception when "one of the greatest adventurers of all time" finally touches down in Sydney and staggers from his battered micro-light into his wheel chair to go home?

Had you ever heard of Dave Sykes before the Australian wrote his story? I hadn't. Surely this man deserves a civic reception equally as great as a professional cyclist?

The Green Goblin
12th Aug 2011, 09:53
Didn't a blind fella do it in a microlight, same route in about 2009?

All pretty impressive stuff.

Personally I'd rather a couple turbines strapped to something solid, than a lawn mower a bit of glue and some rags to hold me aloft.

:ok:

magvelda
13th Aug 2011, 07:49
This is probably one of the most exciting and satisfying flights I have ever been involved in. I obtained all his permits with the exception of Indonesia.

I also obtained the permits for the intrepid blind aviator a few years back.

Publicity here in the UK has been :mad: poor apart from local Yorkshire based newspapers etc.:ugh: Thanks to you all for your efforts and kindness.

I hope to meet Dave at some stage and I sincerely hope he gets an invite to Buck House - He bloody well deserves it!!!

Very Well Done Dave:ok:

BONZER.

Mike Gray

Stationair8
14th Aug 2011, 05:12
Poor sod, probably just happy to escape from the old dart with all the riots going on at the moment!

185skywagon
19th Aug 2011, 02:02
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z473/nedsbassman/IMG_05051.jpg
He's just arrived here in Charleville.

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2011, 05:29
AVGAS or did you run into town for some PULP ?

He may have had some good tail winds of late too! long way in a micro :uhoh:

185skywagon
19th Aug 2011, 05:45
Topped off with Avgas.
Poor bloke is suffering from the flu. Our shire visitor center lady took him off to his Accom for a good sleep.

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2011, 06:58
No doubt you chucked the 185 in with the Bonanna Boat and offer his "Terrordactyl" a warm cozy spot in your hangar ;)

185skywagon
19th Aug 2011, 09:38
He is half in the aero club hangar. King post wouldn't fit under. If he is better tomorrow I believe he is off to nyngan.

Dick Smith
24th Aug 2011, 11:57
Dave plans to arrive at Bankstown Airport at 1pm tomorrow Thursday.

Great if a few could come to welcome him. I will be there.

At my hangar in Miles Street.