PDA

View Full Version : Lost another one today.

Frank Arouet
7th Jun 2011, 06:34
Via sad PM to me today- Needs no elaboration;

Dear XXX

We spoke a good while back now about dealing with CASA. Your wisdom about good legal counsel was spot on. Still a very difficult or even impossible to get a 'fair go'. It appears obvious that bullying and harassment is condoned and the perpetrators are protected by the organisation. Can't draw any other conclusion. On that basis I had to decide my only course of action was to leave and put it behind me! Which I believe is what they wanted all along.

XXXXXXXXX

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2011, 06:47
Please do elaborate Frank....

leave and put it behind me

Life, employment, flying?

Frank Arouet
7th Jun 2011, 10:40
Employment and flying is life to many. To loose any, you loose everything. The pity of it all is our there are corporate and bureaucratic monsters who simply don't care. A pox on them all.

Horatio Leafblower
8th Jun 2011, 05:50
Frank,

You're being as obscure as Rose Thorns and Kharon.

Is your correspondent giving up flying? Giving up their business? Giving up their AOC, Aircraft ownership?

I want to empathise but I am not sure what I am empathising with.... :confused:

Frank Arouet
8th Jun 2011, 06:46
Someone leaving the industry who can't elaborate except share frustrations with someone else on an anonymous website and under threat of certain further losses of income and dignity, deserves both empathy and understanding.

A Sham of a Doctor once said to me, in matters aviation, I am God. Believe that and we'll get along fine.

But for the grace of him and others go many of us.

Henry The Octopus
8th Jun 2011, 13:04
Horatio,

Please don't ask for elaboration, evidence or detail (from Frank, Kharon, Rose Thorn(s) and several others) - I don't think there is any - otherwise it would have been spelt out well and truly by now.

Make no mistake, CASA isn't perfect by a long shot, but in my opinion it's nowhere near as bad as some of those on this forum would have you (and the less impressionable) believe.

Henry.

Frank Arouet
8th Jun 2011, 23:43
On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad are they?

Torres
8th Jun 2011, 23:51
Either -5 or +15, depending which way the scale runs.

There is a better life after aviation. I know. And I should probably thank CASA for making that decision for me, but I wont.

Torres
9th Jun 2011, 04:40
Clinton.

How can I resist? :E

The problem with FAA regulations is there is gray area in many of them.

Well, at least the FAA has a complete set of regulations...... and we won't even talk about the "grey area"! :ugh:

Three months short of twenty three years since the "five year regulatory reform" process commenced in Australia.

What else would you expect when public servants are employed? :confused:

Sunfish
9th Jun 2011, 05:47
Clinton, with respect; saying "look at that guy he isn't perfect either" is not a very strong argument.

I did a maintenance procedures course a few weeks ago and my brain still hurts.

CASA doesn't even seem to have a master document index.

I have yet to meet anyone in aviation who does not want to comply with regulations, although I admit that such persons must exist, but what scares the crap out of me is the possibility that despite trying my hardest, I might not comply from the sheer inability to be able to find the applicable regulation and then parse its back - to - front construction into something I can actually understand.

For example, I am required to enter the details of every flight into my logbook. Is that every sector of a journey with a new flight beginning after each loo stop? For all I know, I'm already a criminal. This is what worrys me and, a lot of others who fly for recreation.

gruntyfen
9th Jun 2011, 06:35
Torres states "Three months short of twenty three years since the "five year regulatory reform" process commenced in Australia."

Surely in reality now CASA only to has to copy either the FAA or EASA regulations if they want international acceptance. Sure they need tweaking, but I'd reckon 80% there? I believe the reg's were ready to go in 2005 based on the FAA suite before a change of heart to EASA.

Anybody needing a good read should take a look at the Senate Inquiry thread and the link to the 1996 Senate Inquiry. The language used is a lot blunter than we hear today.

In relation to the thread there are a lot of disgruntled employees. The FOI, AWI's engineers, safety and other come from industry many others are professional public servants. They are like oil and water and for the public servants benefit oil and water don't mix.

poteroo
9th Jun 2011, 11:48
The 'public service' has absolutely no interest in developing policies which truly assist the industries for which they supposedly are responsible. They are interested only in CONTROL. The effect of their oft capricious, malicious, unjustified, and often unlawful decisions upon the industry they represent is seemingly irrelevant.

happy days,

LeadSled
9th Jun 2011, 13:29
-----but what scares the crap out of me is the possibility that despite trying my hardest, I might not comply from the sheer inability to be able to find the applicable regulation and then parse its back - to - front construction into something I can actually understand.Sunfish,

As the Lane Report put it in about 1986, words to the effect that the complex, convoluted and often contradictory regulation created "inadvertent criminals".

And Leroy Keith ( then CASA Director) was spot on in 1996, when he described CASA as:" A principality with 700 Princes", now we have just had a whacking great rise in fuel levies and CASA hourly rates to employ another 100 or so Princes and Princesses ---- as the fleet shrinks.

I remember when an FAA inspector "ref flagged" an AC690 with the "Q Tip" props for a ground strike.Clinton,
Remember the same ( except for the type of twin) at YSBK ?

At the same time as YSBK grounded a whole bunch of aircraft because the rego. letters were not the "regulation" size or style. At the time the whole QF fleet was nominally non-compliant, but nobody ever stuck an orange grounding notice on a 747 when nobody was looking !!

Folks,
Nobody has ever suggested FAA is perfect, I have spent more than 35 years dealing with them, but on average it is a pleasure, compared with CASA. Likewise, the K1W1's have their moments, but on average?? Great.

Tootle pip!!