PDA

View Full Version : F/O at Emirates or flydubai?

Dane737
6th Jun 2011, 18:37
Hi all,

I am wondering a little bit about the pro's and con's when working for Emirates and flydubai. I have decided to relocate and get a new experience, and kind of stir up the bowl a little. This is all still in the planning phase, no interviews taken yet, but which airline should I go for?

Question is: Emirates package or flydubai package? I am a experienced F/O so entry stage will be F/O for both companies. But what is desireable? Emirates with widebody, but 'long' time to command, or flydubai with narrowbody and short time to command?

I am interested about the things that are a little difficult to research via the websites. Lifestyle, time at home, duration of slings, and so on. I would like to know whether it is desireable to bring the wife and small kid to a long haul operation contra a 'get-home-every-day' lifestyle.

And what are your experiences with the benefits at Emirates contra flydubai? For the misses and junior. Salary is of course interesting, but everyday life is my main concern.

So those of you with experiences with the above - I would be glad to read your response!

Cheers

d105
6th Jun 2011, 18:51
From what I understand the quality of your life will be dependent on how well you are able to adapt to Dubai.

Unless you grew up in Phoenix, AZ, it is unlikely that you have ever lived in the circumstances you will find yourself in once relating to Dubai. But there are many people with actual experience on this forum more qualified to talk about that.

Considering you are still an F/O at your current job I wouldn't think twice and apply for Emirates. A quick upgrade is meaningless when flying for a Loco. Unless that is specifically your target. The upgrade in Flydubai will be the end of your career development in that company.

If you consider Emirates you might have 6 to 8 years in the right seat before you become admissible for an upgrade. Even if you are in your late twenties upon joining it still means you will be captain on a wide-body by mid-thirties.

Assuming you are able to survive in the desert for that long.

In general I would say the terms "quick upgrade" and "proper career" are not interchangeable.

Vanheden
6th Jun 2011, 18:51
Check the master thread on Fly Dubai, on the last page (p.46?) Old King Cole has answered all your questions in an excellent post.

For me it's easy, I have no desire of being away from my family for longer periods of time. Done it, and it doesn't work for us. So Fly Dubai it is! Hopefully!!

Best of luck!

ALLAH
7th Jun 2011, 07:42
Vanuatu is a much nicer place.

DARK.LORD
7th Jun 2011, 07:51
....ouch....

fliion
7th Jun 2011, 21:13
No one I have flown with at EK would have any interest in going to FLydubai

Those Who I have drank with from FZ will privately tell you.. "why we wouldn't be given preferential at EK is beyond sense"

Nuff said

Fliion