PDA

View Full Version : Where is Mr Guppy these days?

Heliplane
6th Jun 2011, 16:09
I haven't seen any posts from SNS3Guppy any time recently. Anyone know whether he's still on the frequency?

Although I have personally been on the sharp end of his sometimes forthright point of view, I enjoy his contributions and wondered whether he was still contributing to this forum?

mad_jock
6th Jun 2011, 16:29
I think he is still banned.

http://www.pprune.org/members/121895-sns3guppy

bingofuel
6th Jun 2011, 16:35
What did he do, or say, to get banned?

Barcli
6th Jun 2011, 17:18
upset Bose-x

Heliplane
6th Jun 2011, 17:19
I'd be very interested to know what resulted in a ban from here!

What Mr Guppy may occasionally lack in diplomacy he certainly seems to make up for in experience and insight.

I don't always agree with him but I make a point of reading his posts - usually entertaining and educational. Would be a shame to lose him.

Mechta
6th Jun 2011, 18:19
Was it the heated discussion about paradropping that did it? If so, the real aggression seemed to come from two other posters. If Guppy got banned for that, then I would have thought at least one of the others should have too?

Conventional Gear
6th Jun 2011, 18:38
Have to wonder who is being punished, us or Mr Guppy.

I read his great account of landing. Took a while but it really did help me out. Changed where I looked and how I approached landing. I went in a short time from 'arrivals' to actually being something approaching a pilot during landings. Stuff that my instructors couldn't get through to me and I've never found in a book.

Bring back Mr Guppy I say!

(I'll now go hide)

S-Works
6th Jun 2011, 18:41
upset Bose-x

Nowt to do with me.

maxred
6th Jun 2011, 18:59
Well without him and the sadly departed 411A, a drearier place:ugh:

iwrbf
6th Jun 2011, 19:27
maxred, I second your opinion

Just that Mr Guppy is not always polite and political correct doesn't mean he should get banned for a longer time, does it?

I don't know what happened, but me personally... I miss his input!

There are several other notoriously aggressive posters who never get banned?!

Regards,
Peter

CharlieDeltaUK
6th Jun 2011, 21:18
read his great account of landing. Took a while but it really did help me out. Changed where I looked and how I approached landing. I went in a short time from 'arrivals' to actually being something approaching a pilot during landings. Stuff that my instructors couldn't get through to me and I've never found in a book.

Sounds good. Where is that posting? Just did a search but couldn't find it.

IO540
7th Jun 2011, 06:26
I think it was his constantly aggressive posting style and attacks on others that did it.

I am not suprised at his style. If you google his nickname you find him in a load of American gun forums.

stiknruda
7th Jun 2011, 07:16
Jeez David - he is a Septic. They have as the second amendment to their constitution; the right to keep and bear arms. You do seem to latch onto something and worry it death, terrier style:p

His posts were verbose but generally contained useful info,especially IMHO for the low houred poster whom he seemed to go outof his way to help.

We all have different styles that is what makes this forum so useful/educational/annoying - I've learned to live with it over 11 years.

There are some posters whose contributions I just ignore,others whom I scan read expecting the same old bigoted diatribe (Sadly from memory:GPS. IR touring. Gorgeous & best girlfriend. How appalling club aircraft are. Why wimmin don't hang around flying clubs, etc)

Right enough, best I go and see where I've carelessly left my gun and shoot supper!

Stik - who will be flying later!

stevelup
7th Jun 2011, 07:42
Who is David? :confused:

If Guppy did get banned for the paradropping thread, then unless some posts have been deleted, it was pretty unfair. Others were being far more rude and aggressive than he was on that thread.

BackPacker
7th Jun 2011, 07:53
Did anyone try to send him a PM? That functionality seems to work even if someone is banned.

IO540
7th Jun 2011, 12:36
others whom I scan read expecting the same old bigoted diatribe (Sadly from memory:GPS. IR touring. Gorgeous & best girlfriend. How appalling club aircraft are. Why wimmin don't hang around flying clubs, etc)
Why don't you start a forum called "vfrpilotsonly.com". The software is off the shelf these days :O

Who is David?

I should add I have no actual knowledge of why Guppy got banned but there has been much behind the scenes speculation about his real "bonafides", as Kojak used to say. Some thought he was a reincarnation of another poster who used to write in a similar way and who vanished a while ago.

I got banned from one particular thread for about a week, after arguing with Guppy, with a message from an anonymous moderator saying he doesn't want to see yet another thread get deleted. After that I ignored Guppy, but evidently something else continued until he got the chop.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jun 2011, 14:19
Not mine to talk about, but having just taken a look at the notes on the Mods forum (we have a running "banned users" thread!), I'd say he's unlikely to be back with us any time soon.

G

strake
7th Jun 2011, 15:14
Hmm, not surprised having just reviewed that parachute dropping thread. With respect to UK flying and jumping, during my time ('81-'92) doing both at a DZ "somewhere just off the A1", we really enjoyed life to the full but I am certain none of the practices outlined by Mr Guppy as "normal" were ever even considered. Having also spent more than a few seasons in Z Hills Fla, I don't ever recall any such games there either. The highest altitude we ever did was a couple of 13,500ft (ish) on O2 in the Turbine DC3.

Ian Burgess-Barber
7th Jun 2011, 15:21
I am sad about this ban. I have no idea what this wise old aviator could have said to have deserved such a banishment. I agree with Stiknruda above, post 14.

"His posts were verbose but generally contained useful info,especially IMHO for the low houred poster whom he seemed to go out of his way to help."

I shall always remember his perceptive and sensitive response in post no 12 of my Tech Log query "Overspeeding Prop" July 2009. I was grateful for the technical info he took some pains to explain to a simple SEL type like me, but he then combined this with a warmth and courtesy which stood out from the arrogance and vituperation which, sadly, some posters employ towards 'newbies'.

It's a shame.

PS It wasn't something relating to the late 411A - was it??

Pace
7th Jun 2011, 15:24
Genghis

Can you expand on that? Guppy had amazing depth of knowledge.

I can remember being picked apart by him in one thread in a ruthless manner!

After that I was always very wary of the accuracy of what I posted ;)

He had an authority which could be very " putting down" to the point of rude to those who dared cross him :E

Having said that you dont come in these forums with a thin skin and I did develop a certain admiration and friendship with him.

Having developed that friendship he would be the first to dive into a thread I was getting beaten up in and help defend what I was trying to say but wasnt the best at saying in his usual authoritive and detailed way.

I for one would like to know why he was banned if he was?

The forum is a lesser place without his colourful input and I cannot imagine what he did which would be so bad as to instigate a prolonged ban.

Pace

S-Works
7th Jun 2011, 15:48
Whose was 411A and what happened to them?

maxred
7th Jun 2011, 15:54
Bose - 411A was an L1011 captain of some note and a wealth of aviation experience, sardonic, very dry wit, and could in one sentence drop a bomb in a thread. Highly amusing:ouch::ouch:

He was extremely knowledgeable, and I for one sought out his posts, a bit like Guppy and Big Pistons - possibly real aviators?????

411A died at the end of April

eharding
7th Jun 2011, 16:04
Genghis

Can you expand on that? Guppy had amazing depth of knowledge.

I can remember being picked apart by him in one thread in a ruthless manner!

After that I was always very wary of the accuracy of what I posted ;)

He had an authority which could be very " putting down" to the point of rude to those who dared cross him :E

Having said that you dont come in these forums with a thin skin and I did develop a certain admiration and friendship with him.

Having developed that friendship he would be the first to dive into a thread I was getting beaten up in and help defend what I was trying to say but wasnt the best at saying in his usual authoritive and detailed way.

I for one would like to know why he was banned if he was?

The forum is a lesser place without his colourful input and I cannot imagine what he did which would be so bad as to instigate a prolonged ban.

Pace

Ditto.

I did always chuckle at his Swiss Tony thing with guns, but he certainly knew his onions.

Jan Olieslagers
7th Jun 2011, 16:07
Guppy had amazing depth of knowledge. ISTR there were suspicions that all his knowledge and (assumed) wisdom had been plucked from casual talk, probably on the internet, and little if any came from actual flying. Indeed the amount and quality of flying experience he reported here seemed incongruent with the, err, shall I say "enthusiast" style of writing that is usually associated with tenderer age.

I can remember being picked apart by him in one thread in a ruthless manner! After that I was always very wary of the accuracy of what I postedWell, sorry to play the old schoolmaster, but it shouldn't require a person banned for whatever reason to teach us to post accurately.

JW411
7th Jun 2011, 16:09
You haven't lived until you have been banned on pprune!

stevef
7th Jun 2011, 18:48
His flying posts were out of my realm but as an engineer, I'd say he certainly knew what he was talking about in technical discussions and didn't come across in any form as a cut 'n paste pretender.
He sometimes seemed high-handed to those that disagreed with him but mostly went out of his way to provide extremely detailed explanations or advice.
The older I become, the more I appreciate characters like Guppy.

IO540
7th Jun 2011, 19:24
The accounts of his lifestyle were at times surreal. He was everything from a present-day 747 pilot, to some James Bond character flying in Afghanistan while being fired on, and everything "aviation-job" in between. He also had a fantastic number of major accidents. Individually he was very technically knowledgeable but it simply did not hang together. He was much discussed off the forum and nobody I know thought he was anything other than a Walter Mitty, albeit one with a totally encyclopaedic knowledge of technical aviation matters. There are / have been other WM characters here and elsewhere and they invariably meet the same end because one has only the one life, one has to sleep some of it, and the sum total of stuff claimed just does not hang together if you read the person's posts in its entirety.

Of course we will never know, but I have a 15 year old son who can talk accurately about just about every single type of aircraft ever made, down to different versions of a 747, etc. And he has been at it for only about 5 years, while doing model flying. So it can be done.

I still don't know why exactly he got banned (I have never known anybody getting banned from a forum for being a WM) but it did not suprise me.

thing
7th Jun 2011, 19:53
I do astrophotography as a hobby. I have a nice semi pro scope and motorised mount and have been doing it cack handedly for some time. I used to inhabit a well known astronomy forum and one of the resident experts there turned out to be a 14 year old lad with a pair of binoculars. Nothing wrong with that at all in itself but he had an immense knowledge of astrophotography, all of it gleaned off the net and gave the impression he had a 20'' Richey-Chretien in his garden. We started to wonder why he never posted any photographs............

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Jun 2011, 20:11
If you, me, disagreed with him or proved him wrong he was very fond of calling you a liar. More the kind of reaction you'd get in a playground.

He did used to get rather wound up and shouty. Very doubtful that anyone could do everything he claimed he did in one lifetime.

Used to give me endless mirth.

Final 3 Greens
7th Jun 2011, 20:21
People have mentioned 411A and he could be an old git on the forums.

The thing was, if you PM'd him, he'd respond really helpfully and with kind words.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jun 2011, 20:59
Pace - sorry, no I can't.

G

youngskywalker
7th Jun 2011, 22:21
I suspect it was of a perceived racist comment he may have posted! Probably wrong though! Plenty Walter Mitty's on here, one very well known...

Vino Collapso
7th Jun 2011, 22:28
Anonymous forums, don't you just love them.

Any one of you may not be who you claim to be. There are but a very few whose credentials survive investigation..

What if Guppy was not who he claimed to be? There are dozens of others on the boards who do similar. Why is his a crime? But he may be real!

I was/am banned from one board because I stepped over an imaginery Moderator line. Don't get me wrong the Mods have a tough job here, but in the end they are just human and their decisions can be in error.

Will I get banned for casting doubt on Moderators rule? Quite possibly but lets get things into perspective. I know 10 times the number of aviation personnel in REAL LIFE than I know on here. This is not reality guys it is a bunch of people who hide behind aliases and feel safe to post whatever they want because of that. Just like me now!

The rules in here should be that you use your real name.....and I do not go along with the idea that remaining anonymous lets individuals 'blow the whistle' on bad practice without fear of retribution. Whenever did comments on here actually result in a regulator taking action?

Go on ban me for speaking out of turn. I have numerous IP addresses.

Bring back Guppy! (if I was him I would say s^d the lot of you.

Whirlygig
7th Jun 2011, 22:40
Of course SNS3Guppy is real; he's not a computer-generated figment of our imaginations. Behind each user name is a real person and some of us do know each other in real life as well.

Some make an effort to hide their indentity or may make themselves out to be someone they're not; others don't but this forum is not as anonymous as you might think.

Cheers

Whirls

Flying Binghi
7th Jun 2011, 23:31
...The rules in here should be that you use your real name...

Vino Collapso, if it were only pilots, or potential pilots, reading this it probably wouldn't be a problem. Unforetunatly with all them villans out there it pays to be a bit vague about yerself at times. e.g. when poster Fred Nerk posts that he's flying south fer the next two weeks that's just the sort of info the local housebreaker likes to read.

...anyway, nuf fer now. Time to pack me bag and get to school..:)

stickandrudderman
8th Jun 2011, 00:00
An often overlooked reason to remain anonymous is so that if someone googles your name they don't find out that you're into aeroplanes, must be making too much money and so are someone whom one must be jealous of.

Pilot DAR
8th Jun 2011, 01:47
I have to admit that PPRuNe was my first and only forum. When I joined, I understood (perhaps wrongly) that it was intended that we remain anonymous, so I tried to comply. After a slagging match a while back, I strted a thread for posters here to honour up their credentials. Few takers... There are enough PPRuNers whom I have met in person, that I'm not at all worried about being suspected as a fake or Walter Mitty (yes, we do know him in Canada too!).

As for my opinion about Guppy, he or she ( see "Fraternity", I'm not getting caught in the sexist thing again!). obviously articulates a lot of knowledge. As IO, and a few have pointed out, the ability to articulate knowledge can come from more than one background. I have no idea about Guppy's. I know nothing more about him/her than what can be read here.

What makes me suspect that Guppy's basis for knowledge might not be what is first perceived, as that every pilot I have met (and there have been many) who have the vast experience which Guppy would have us believe he/she had, was very mellow about it. I have never had a slagging match with a truly hightime pilot, they have nothing to prove - they've done it all. If you don't flow in with them, they just quietly walk away.

Guppy's posts were different, there were often slagging, chest thumping sessions, and for what? It's not really possible to actually win or loose here, you just post for whatever reason motivates you, and hope that someone takes an interest in what you've written. I can say that there were threads which I stopped reading once Guppy got going.I read and post for my entertainment, and I hope, to the benefit of others. I am not entertained by slagging matches, so I just don't play. From my clubhouse experience of past, this reminded me of a lesser experienced pilot, who was very well read, trying hard to impress everyone else, and railing against any challenge to their standing in aviation. I do recall one poster trying to ""meet in the middle" on a topic with Guppy, and Guppy stating that he/she never compromizes a point - must make two crew cockpit relationships challenging!

Guppy offered lots of knowledge, but the price was higher than other knowledgable posters.

Is Guppy gone? What stops him/her rejoining under another personna, and going 'round again?

GANNET FAN
8th Jun 2011, 08:10
"It's not really possible to actually win or loose here, you just post for whatever reason motivates you, and hope that someone takes an interest in what you've written"

Leaving aside this comment was made in respect of Guppy, I think these words are the wisest I have read and can apply to every PPRune post.

Extremely erudite

youngskywalker
8th Jun 2011, 08:17
I have also met a few posters from these boards and regularly keep in contact with them in my day to day life. A regular topic of conversation and amusement was had discussing Guppy and that other very well known and prolific walter mitty on this private forum with a penchant for gross exageration and fantasies. Anybody with any sense can see right through them. I suspect Guppy probably was an experienced Pilot with a lot of useful knowledge to offer, but his incredibly aggressive style made it impossible to respect him. 411A was completely different, he rarely if ever attacked people on a personal level, also his credentials have been confirmed as correct, he was the 'real deal.' Guppy also made his feelings about Britain and the Brits very well known, it appeared he had some serious issues regarding our lack of enthusiasm for blowing people away with handguns and hollow point bullets. Big knives were also another little perversion of his.:uhoh:

On balance I really cannot see a place in a modern day airline cockpit for a man with such a huge ego, pent up aggression, love for weapons and a completely dogmatic and dominearing personality.

eharding
8th Jun 2011, 08:52
On balance I really cannot see a place in a modern day airline cockpit for a man with such a huge ego, pent up aggression, love for weapons and a completely dogmatic and dominearing personality.

You're right.

On the other hand, that would seem to be the perfect personality type to be CEO of a modern low-cost airline.

O'Guppy, you've been rumbled.

IO540
8th Jun 2011, 08:59
Actually it is an excellent observation that somebody with such a personality would never be able to work in any airline operation, or in most types of business (where you have to deal with people) for that matter.

maxred
8th Jun 2011, 09:28
I have been very fortunate to be in the company of some aviation/space 'legends'. It was arranged through a very good friend of mine, States based. I was expecting the larger than life, massive ego gung ho, what I have found is that they were, in most cases, very introspective, reserved, and intelligent, individuals. Actually humble regarding their 'experiences'.

On first take, and is some instances, I was disappointed, thinking I should have expected more, however, as I got older, I realsied that was what the 'right stuff' was all about.

The aggressive individuals on this forum, and in real life, generally are fighting to be something they are not. The real people, on here, and in life, go about their business, internally reviewing how well they are achieving their goals.

This forum, I believe, should be for interesting, knowledgeable chat, whilst perhaps learning from others experiences.

Anyway, I am away flying:)

hum
9th Jun 2011, 09:27
I've always been struck by the similarity of this guy's style (and thought-provoking writing)...

Pelican's Perch #87: Killer Go-Arounds (http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/pelicans_perch_87_killer_go-arounds_195755-1.html)

wsmempson
9th Jun 2011, 11:51
Whatever became of Sternone?

Conventional Gear
9th Jun 2011, 13:34
I've always been struck by the similarity of this guy's style (and thought-provoking writing)...

Pelican's Perch #87: Killer Go-Arounds

That was a really good read.

maxred
9th Jun 2011, 14:10
Hum, that was one of the best links posted. Excellent reading. I will browse his other stuff shortly

Thanks

Conventional Gear
9th Jun 2011, 14:40
Pelican's Perch #85: Where Are The Eyes? -- Part 1 (http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/pelicans_perch_85_where_are_the_eyes_195130-1.html)

Another good one. I must admit I've probably often trawled forums for this sort of insight and common sense which by looking at this thread might not be such a great idea. Excellent to find it all wrapped up in easy to understand articles :ok:

iwrbf
9th Jun 2011, 15:02
I respect Mr. Guppy's profound knowledge, even if the possibility may exist that he's not who he claims to be.

'But' with a capital 'B':

There's no valid comparison to Mr. John Deakin. I've never met him personally, but Mr. Deakin seems a much more gentle and a much more friendly person in general. His "thought provoking" has in my opinion never been intrusive to other people's views, he's just saying: "Don't take things as a reality just because some lawyer wrote about it 50 years ago..."

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think that John Deakin should be compared at all. Too much humour, too much soul in what he wrote.

Kind regards,
Peter

IO540
9th Jun 2011, 15:20
I agree; Deakin is in a class of his own and totally different.

He has been the chief educator of "advanced pilots" everywhere.

He is still around (writing on US pilot forums, etc) despite reportedly having suffered a stroke which would have ended his ATP job.

Not sure I agree with his views on running tanks dry :)

Newforest2
9th Jun 2011, 17:09
You don't think Mr. Guppy might be Anthony Wiener? :E

IO540
9th Jun 2011, 18:42
Did a google on that name... no obvious connection :)

Roffa
9th Jun 2011, 20:33
First came across and spoke to John Deakin on AVSIG, Compuserve many years ago.

There is no way he is Guppy.

Fuji Abound
9th Jun 2011, 21:03
Love him or hate him, and I have had as many disagreements with him as most, I feel a little uncomfortable with a character assissination of anyone without giving them the ability to defend themselves should they wish to do so.It makes me uncomfortable contributing to this thread.

eharding
9th Jun 2011, 21:11
Love him or hate him, and I have had as many disagreements with him as most, I feel a little uncomfortable with a character assissination of anyone without giving them the ability to defend themselves should they wish to do so.It makes me uncomfortable contributing to this thread.

I know what you mean, but he didn't strike me as being particularly thin-skinned - and besides, he apparently had plenty of guns to keep himself amused. I doubt he's missing the rest of us.

<click>...<click>

He.....he's standing behind me, isn't he?

IO540
9th Jun 2011, 21:21
when he was online was the time to raise themand this happened, and then the threads would get deleted or locked. I got banned by the mods here for doing so.

I can only speculate that there was more going on behind the scenes and the mods (pprune mods are fairly unusual in almost never discussing their actions) decided this was too much hassle for them.

Anthony Weiner is some U.S. politician but I don't see the connection.

24Carrot
9th Jun 2011, 21:23
Well "Wiener" would be wrong anyway as it is "Anthony Weiner"...

I'm happy to defer to any German speaker here, but I believe he did try quite hard to pronounce it as "Wiener".:) Apart from the "W".:oh:

Pace
9th Jun 2011, 21:28
I was heavely involved in the flight sim world a few years ago. We had a supposed airline pilot who talked with great authority and detail.
Many stood in awe at his postings until the cracks appeared. Often they were tiny cracks but obvious ones.
He turned out to be a kid who was great at research and googling and fooled many for a long time.

I have not noticed such cracks in Guppies knowledge? The only cracks if they are cracks are the shear volume and diversity of his flying which often made you wonder how he ever had the time for such long postings.

Flying is full of type A egos and I can think of quite a few captains who would be equally direct and challenging :ugh:

Regardless the detail he brought to these forums, the colour and contributions he made will be sadly missed who ever he was or is in real life.
I personally dont think he is some Walter Mitty.

I have to also say he had a remarkable way of cutting other egos and supposed know it alls in these forums down to size which isnt always a bad thing :E

Pace

BackPacker
9th Jun 2011, 21:57
It makes me uncomfortable contributing to this thread.

Me too.

What also makes me uncomfortable is the speculation on who Mr. Guppy (or the Gupster as I believe we started calling him) really is.

People all have their reasons for selecting a nickname on here, and thus preserving their anonimity somehow. Me personally, I don't want my current or future employer to stumble upon my 3000-odd posts on here, especially as some of them are made during obvious working hours.

If you add up some of my posts and make a few other connections, I'm pretty sure you can find my real name on the internet. But that assumes you start from the posts I made on here and start connecting the dots until you get to my real name. And I have no issues with revealing my name and e-mail address via PM if it comes to that. But if you google for my real name (like my current or future employer would do) I'm pretty sure you don't end up on PPRuNe. And I kind of like it that way.

Even though Mr. Guppy wasn't universally liked on here, I think we need to respect the fact that he chose a nickname for himself that protects his anonimity from the same sort of casual observation, and not speculate who he really is.

vanHorck
9th Jun 2011, 22:32
Perhaps the mods will consider changing their policy to bans and elaborate a little on the why of this ban and/or if possible allow him back at least to defend himself?

We can be pretty hard on each other and most of us are not thin skinned.... So I'm sure we can cope with some flack from either the mods or the "culprit"?

I too have been banned and also as a banned person it was hard to get to the bone of the "why" of the bans.

We are here as guests but our hosts sometimes rule in mysterious ways....

Good forum though!

:ok:

eharding
9th Jun 2011, 22:53
Shhhh. The first rule of BanClub is......well, you know the first rule.

To be honest, I'm amazed this thread hasn't just disappeared into the bit-bucket already.

I can't see Guppy appearing on the forum's equivalent of "Desert Island Discs" in a hurry, somehow....although the prospect of a bemused Kirsty Young being asked to play "Achy Breaky Heart" eight times in a row, before allowing him a 30 ought 8 as his luxury, does rather appeal.

Lord Spandex Masher
9th Jun 2011, 23:11
without giving them the ability to defend themselves should they wish to do so.It makes me uncomfortable contributing to this thread.

Would that not be akin to him hitting your ignore button and then disparaging you on a thread with no form of recourse?

Well, he was quite happy to do that as well.

What goes around comes around.

Good riddance.

IO540
10th Jun 2011, 06:24
I don't think anybody cares who Guppy was, and nobody should, because every half savvy person tries to maintain online privacy, otherwise anybody doing a google on a full name will dig out all kinds of stuff which some people would prefer an existing or prospective employer or customer not seeing.

Sure one can locate most posters here, with some detective work, but I don't think they particularly care. It is the above mentioned trivial reverse lookup which most try to stop working. That is why I am not on sites like Face book, LinkedIn, etc, and if I was I would not use my full name, which defeats the whole point of e.g. LinkedIn which is principally a business/favour/job networking site.

The "SNS3Guppy" name itself is some oddball transport plane for oversized loads. You can find it on google.

Maoraigh1
10th Jun 2011, 08:36
"Good riddance"
I had more respect for his posts than for most on this site.

Fuji Abound
10th Jun 2011, 10:40
I am tempted to make one comment as it is not Mr Guppy specific.

I think we are all fascinated by threads where the writers purport to relate to first hand experience. Inevitably we take a certain comfort when we feel or know it is something they have done, rather than read about, been told about, or, in the extreme, made up.

Experiences are what seperates reality from theory, and we all know that in all sorts of subtle ways theory is usually not exactly the same as reality. I think we also feel that a friend telling you a story is one thing, but inevitably something is lost in the telling; recounting a story is not quite the same as being a character in the story.

The trouble is so much is written and discussed in the public debate that it is easy to blur the distinction between a first hand and a second hand account of events should you wish to do so.

Where is my post leading - well I am not sure really. Does it matter - again I dont really know. Should we be any more or less comfortable or take them any more or less seriously when someone posts an account and we believe their account is based on first hand experience?

I am inclinded to think that actually it doesnt really matter because we have plenty of time to consider whether anything we might take from their post is useful and whether we dare use it in the real world.

I have flown with quite a few pilots. You can usually tell within the first 5 minutes if they know their business. You have got a pretty good idea whether it is going to be a relaxing flight way before the aircraft ever gets off the ground. Often with the written word you are able to form the same impression. Their are subtelties in the things people write that make you suspicious of whether they are just talking the talk.

However sometimes people are very good at talking the talk, which words enable, but real life flying rarely doesnt.

Do I want to be in the same cockpit with someone who in reality doesnt know what they are doing - probably not; am I any more or less interested in reading posts that claim to be first hand accounts but are not - I am not sure. Am I suggesting that Mr Guppy falls into any of these categories - no I am not.

IO540
10th Jun 2011, 10:53
I am inclinded to think that actually it doesnt really matter because we have plenty of time to consider whether anything we might take from their post is useful and whether we dare use it in the real world.

I think it does matter.

I think the main reason why most of us more "higher-hour" pilots post on these forums is not as a chest beating exercise; it is done to help out others.

Other smaller reasons will be stuff like looking for info, etc. Or just boredom / distraction from work :)

It is important to be reasonably sure that somebody claiming to have done something has actually done it, because unless you have also done the same yourself you can't tell whether the info is accurate or not.

Conventional Gear
10th Jun 2011, 12:07
I think the main reason why most of us more "higher-hour" pilots post on these forums is not as a chest beating exercise; it is done to help out others.

I think in the main most answers to questions simply reflect the poster's experiences and who could ask for more. What I got from SNS3Guppy was a depth of experience which allowed him to step into the mind of the poster asking the question and give appropriate tailored advice.

The 'right' and 'wrong' of it can be extremely contextual.

Who's best suited to answer questions about a CAA exam? Probably the 12hr pilot who sat it yesterday and scored 100%. The debate from high hour pilots on what it means, meant to mean or whether it is relevant though interesting probably doesn't help to answer the original question. Mr Gups seemed to cut through most of that.

Compare it to somebody asking for advice on improving landing. How often does a tailwheel pilot jump in with 'advice' which is subtly different and simply reflects their own experiences rather than the information required?

I didn't think it was too difficult to find out SNS3Guppy's post actually do pan out with a little internet searching, I did that more from interest as I had faith in what he was saying and it has helped me in the past. Like many I found his posting style abrasive at times, I rather think he doesn't suffer fools gladly and is rather 'old school' but his knowledge was useful.

In all I treat PPRuNe as an extension of the flying club bar. It's a little easier there to figure out who talks the talk and who walks the walk, but for me 'real' flying isn't about spending a fortune to have the mission capability of a scheduled flight. It has rather more to do with stick and rudder skills and planes that belch oil and have 'interesting' handling characteristics - GPS strictly optional ;)

AdamFrisch
10th Jun 2011, 15:24
Good useful info or not - why always come out guns blazing, shooting everyone and all down? Even people who quickly realised that a fight with him couldn't be won - not because he was right necessarily, but because he never backed off. Even when they tried to agree and make friends just to stop the bloodied jaws from chasing them, he would never accept it. That's just mean. How about being a human being and a mensch and accepting a reached out hand?

For me, it's a bit like dating a woman and then finding out she's rude to waiters. After that I can't continue, no matter how good looking or fun she is, as it's so far removed from who I am and how I want people around me to be.

You are ultimately judged by how you treat others.

But this is much bigger than Guppy - half of the posters here on PPrune I wouldn't want anywhere near me in real life if they behaved like they do here. That's true for most anonymous forums. I'm a member in other forums where you have to reveal your identity, and they're much calmer and better behaved. Granted, you'd never hear the same gossip or rumour on one of those, so there's a case to be made for both types.

All I know is my name is real I won't hide behind anonymity and I aspire to treat people like I'd like to be treated here. I certainly don't have Guppy's experience, if it was true, but I can go into any restaurant in this world and get clean food;)

I bet he can't.

Lord Spandex Masher
10th Jun 2011, 15:38
I didn't think it was too difficult to find out SNS3Guppy's post actually do pan out with a little internet searching

CG, you raise an interesting point. If it was that easy for you to find the information on the internet how easy do you think it would be for Guppy to do the same, add his little slant to it and proclaim it as his own?!

Just asking.

Conventional Gear
10th Jun 2011, 15:41
You don' know what he is like in real life though. Some people are completely different on forums, some are not. Perhaps he got very tired of people undermining what he was attempting to put across, who knows?

After being ousted off a forum at one time, meeting the guy was one of the most revealing experiences I've ever had. The fact I had allowed a complete nobody to affect my life totally changed how I treated people who try to pick a fight on an internet forum. I simply stopped meeting them half way and acting the idiot myself.

Quote:
I didn't think it was too difficult to find out SNS3Guppy's post actually do pan out with a little internet searching
CG, you raise an interesting point. If it was that easy for you to find the information on the internet how easy do you think it would be for Guppy to do the same, add his little slant to it and proclaim it as his own?!

Just asking.

I think it would be easy. I could be a flight simmer who googles everything I post. I'm not, I'm a low hours PPL with a love of old aeroplanes. (who also happens to use a flight sim as a training tool).

I've an almost encyclopedic knowledge of WWII aircraft for example - though I know a 14 year old kid with a bit of experience on google could easily tie me in knots if they wanted by checking every 'fact' posted etc etc.

The point was I took a browse around to satisfy myself, I found what I was looking for. So regardless of the guys personality, for one I'm satisfied he was passing on his own experiences.

IO540
10th Jun 2011, 15:52
I have met up with loads of pilots, UK and even more abroad, who I had previously "met" electronically. I do this quite a lot.

Obviously I would have never tried to meet up with somebody who was previously obnoxious to me in their online persona (in fact I try hard to avoid going anywhere where one might meet up with those types) but those I have met have turned out to be, with about 2 exceptions, extremely decent people.

Regarding picking fights with some types, there is a saying: never fight with a pig, because you both get covered in sh*t and the pig will love it :)

JW411
10th Jun 2011, 16:45
IO540:

"I think the main reason why most of us "higher-hour" pilots post on these forums is not a chest beating exercise........"

Could you please give us a clue as to what you might consider a "higher-hour" pilot?

Pugilistic Animus
10th Jun 2011, 17:37
I think he is quite misunderstood...but you just can't make that stuff up:rolleyes:
try 'googling' some of my posts...you wont find anything:E --like I said once about the sadly departed Bob Welliver:( you don't have to agree but it's in your best interest to at least listen...I really think he's been read all wrong...hje's just emotional and passionate about flying...he's a rare old soul type...:)

YouTube - &#x202a;yosemite sam clip&#x202c;&rlm;

;)

Ian Burgess-Barber
10th Jun 2011, 20:20
Well said Sir - you have cut through the self indulgent cr*p of recent posts and hit the nail on the head.

Pilot DAR
11th Jun 2011, 12:14
I rather think he doesn't suffer fools gladly

Neither do I, but I make every attempt to not assume that any person is a fool, untill well proven. Being a fool in unrelated to experience. As I received several Guppy flamings on subjects where I can assure you I am no fool, I resented being assumed to be, and treated like one, in the absence of any evidence....

In aviation I recognize several "fool" related pilot types: We have new pilots who could be fools, or not - inexperienced either way. Fool pilots can gain experience, and become less foolish over time, though at varying rates. Eventually in aviation, being a fool can be fatal. Very experienced pilots (sorry JW411, a number does not come to mind - but I hope I get there one day) eventually become nearly foolproof (though they can still behave badly).

Like any industry, we are dependant upon new people entering to sustain us, and carry on traditions. I am carrying on tradtions, and inspiration offered to me as long as 40 years ago (and before that, The Thunderbirds!).

So why would I not want to be seen to be a person who can present some wisdom, while remaining "nice", and inspirational? No added cost to that. If I'm going to invest hundreds of hours here exchanging information which I hope would be well received, why would I undermine that by alienating my intended readers? It's like opening a club, and putting a sign in the window saying "new members not welcomed". What's the point?

I had the great pleasure of meeting yet another PPRuNer for the first time yesterday. A super person, every bit the serious, experienced, and polite person I expected I would meet. I don't recall this PPRuNer ever flaming anyone, and he is very well qualified to do so, should he be so inclined!

My mom told me: "If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't always manage, but I'm still aiming that way....

Pace
11th Jun 2011, 12:44
but because he never backed off. Even when they tried to agree and make friends just to stop the bloodied jaws from chasing them, he would never accept it

Adam sorry cannot agree. I posted concerning engine failure in twins a long time back.

Guppy shot me down in a number of areas where my knowledge was not as good as his.

We exchanged a few E mails and since then he has been the first to jump in and support some of my own postings.

I dont know if he is real or not real or a mixture of the two but he does know his stuff and added a lot to these forums.

There are many Egos here who post as fact and we need someone like Guppy to shoot them down and get the truth.
As for googling information you will always see a mistake or hole in those people Guppy didnt make mistakes or holes.

Pace

Conventional Gear
11th Jun 2011, 12:53
I don't disagree with you PilotDAR it's nice to be nice.

Fact is as a very low hours pilot a few things strike me.

The best teachers are those who will fully admit they are still learning even if they have 20,000+ hrs.

I like this as with less than a hundredth of that I at least know we are in the same boat (cockpit :))

Nowt is fixed in stone. For every 'right' way of doing something, somebody will give a good argument that it is the 'wrong' way and will bite your bum one day.

Often we revert back to what we are first taught in difficult situations - I'm keen to question what I was first taught and wonder, 'is that right'.

Regardless of hours I simply always wanted to be a good pilot and strive to be just that.

My view is simple, I'll take advice from where I can get it and Mr.Gups was a good source.

I have no personal axe to grind so just miss his contributions, that's all.

Pace
11th Jun 2011, 18:22
Conventional gear

I agree with all you say which is well thought and written.
I will add that it takes all sorts to make a world.
Guppy was one type.
In the same way you use an Alsation as a guard dog not a miniature poodle..
Guppy kept us supposed know it alls on our toes hence the friction as the know it alls don't like being exposed for mistakes.
Would still love to know what he has done or who's cage he has rattled to be banned like that.
Maybe he just took the huff and removed himself?

Psce

AdamFrisch
11th Jun 2011, 19:01
It got heated in the parachute drop thread and one of the moderators was a participant. But here's the thing: it wouldn't have been so heated had Guppy not gone in to it guns blazing swinging his c**k around.

http://www.pprune.org/non-airline-transport-stuff/447605-parachute-dropping.html

eharding
11th Jun 2011, 21:39
It got heated in the parachute drop thread and one of the moderators was a participant. But here's the thing: it wouldn't have been so heated had Guppy not gone in to it guns blazing swinging his c**k around.

http://www.pprune.org/non-airline-transport-stuff/447605-parachute-dropping.html

Good Lord.

That thread, if nothing else, profoundly confirms my preconceptions about people who throw themselves out of aeroplanes for fun.

Fuji Abound
11th Jun 2011, 21:48
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/fujiflyer/IMG_1388.jpg

From Bournemouth today, I couldnt resist the photo.

Sadly put out to pasture, and seen better days. ;)

BillieBob
11th Jun 2011, 23:11
The CL44-O Skymonster is hardly in the 'Guppy' class. Despite its pretensions it is no more than a hopeless wannabee. The real Guppies were all developments of the B-377 Stratocruiser.

The 'Pregnant' Guppy -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Pregnant_Guppy_NASA.jpg/300px-Pregnant_Guppy_NASA.jpg

the 'Mini' Guppy,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Aero_Spacelines_Mini_Guppy.JPG/220px-Aero_Spacelines_Mini_Guppy.JPG

and the 'Super' Guppy
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/SuperGuppy-F-BPPA.jpg/220px-SuperGuppy-F-BPPA.jpg

On reflection, however, perhaps the CL44 wannabee is a more appropriate analogy for our late departed colleague after all.
http://www.allaboutguppys.com/cl44/cl44.htm

MIKECR
11th Jun 2011, 23:37
Well at least some good came from the parachute dropping thread. The guy who started the thread has now completed his jump pilot training.....well done Sir!:ok:

Pilot DAR
12th Jun 2011, 03:00
Congratulations to the OP for achieving the jump pilot qualification. I can say that I feel badly that that person would have received a rather poor looking image of the PPRuNe group as a whole with that thread as the window! It's pretty embarrassing! The acrimony displayed on that thread had faded from my memory, but a re-look reminds me that no matter how much wise knowledge a poster might be able to present, there is just no excuse for a ditribe like that, much less a prolonged one!

Presuming that it was that thread which was an element in Guppy being banned, I am pleased that the moderator did their job - they moderated! I'm not going to spend my leisure time reading that kind of rubbish, no matter what my experiece level, or skin thickness! I can choose the playgrounds in which I play, and I don't want to play in one where sand and poop are being thrown! I have observed this on one other website, and chose to not participate at all as a result. Perhaps my choice to not participate was a loss for them, that's theirs to decide.

I don't even put up which that kind of nonsense from people who pay me for my time, I'm sure not going to put up with it for nothing! So call me spoiled, it won't be the first time....

I miss some of the wisdom which Guppy presented, it was thought provoking, and that's nearly always a good thing. But I don't miss that dark side of the tone....

Ian Burgess-Barber
12th Jun 2011, 07:17
I too thought that his handle was inspired by the above Stratocruiser conversions, but when I asked - this is what he said (July 2009).

Quote:
Does your PPRuNe handle mean you knew Statocruisers?
Actually, no, though I've been asked that before. It's a reference to the Sorrell SNS-2 Guppy, a small spruce and fabric reverse staggerwing single seat biplane I've had under construction for the last fifteen years or so (one of those projects that had dragged on far too long). When I originally began using the handle on the internet, I typed it in wrong, and I've been using it that way on a lot of sites ever since, for simplification.

I worked on C-97's, and was in line to fly them, but separated from that operation before I had the chance. I believe we flew the last operational working aircraft of that type...so I'll never get that chance again. It was an impressive airplane.

So there you have it.

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2011, 08:24
So "Guppy" led people to believe he was flying the above aircraft while in fact he was a mechanic building one of these?:

Sorrel SNS 2 Guppy experimental aircraft pictures, Sorrel SNS 2 Guppy amateur built aircraft images, Sorrel SNS 2 Guppy homebuilt aircraft photographs, Lightsport Aircraft Pilot newsmagazine aircraft directory. (http://lightsportaircraftpilot.com/sorrel-guppy_experimental_aircraft/pictures.html)

maxred
12th Jun 2011, 09:18
ST - I do not think he led people to believe anything, let alone his avatar. Show me the thread where he alludes to that????

patowalker
12th Jun 2011, 09:27
So "Guppy" led people to believe he was flying the above aircraft while in fact he was a mechanic building one of these?:

How did Guppy lead people to believe he was flying Stratocruisers?

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2011, 09:33
If you read the threads you will find a number of references to heavy aircraft.

maxred
12th Jun 2011, 09:49
I have now read- and re-read - the para jumping thread. I did not have the opportunity previously. I think Guppy, goaded into responses, seems quite innocent to me. The Sloppy Joe character appears to be the aggressive one.

Obviously the mod then got upset, and banned Guppy. I have seen worse. Can we have him back please:D:D

Final 3 Greens
12th Jun 2011, 10:01
Maxred

Guppy was highly aggressive on many, many threads.

If he did not deserve to go for this one (no criticism of the mods implied), then I recall many others where (IMHO) he did.

I don't miss his attitude at all. 411A could be 'ornery', but if you PM'd him with request for help or even just a comment, in my experience, you would receive a warm reply.

I miss 411A.

ShyTorque
12th Jun 2011, 10:01
I have now read- and re-read - the para jumping thread.

I didn't mean that one; I haven't read it.

maxred
12th Jun 2011, 10:19
F3G - Yes in part I agree. I also miss 411A.

Without going over old ground, this is a rumour/discussion and, if required, a social networking site. It us used in many ways, some trolls, some aggressors, some walter mitty characters, some real life heroes. However, as in life, people will agree to disagree, therefore, so what????

It is moderated, rightly so, however, is there an area on the forum where the rules are clearly detailed? Boundaries set in other words. Guppy on the para thread, appears to state that he was not name calling, nor was he swearing, nor was he leading the aggression. He ''appears'' to have been banned, but for what? If it is for previously bad behaviour, then ok, the mod concerned should post that. I am not sure if the mods are required, nor if fact, should post reasons for banning individuals, threads, or posts. It would be good to know though.

Anyway, the forum without these - individuals, antagonists, call them what you will, are slightly less entertaining. IMHO

iwrbf
12th Jun 2011, 10:30
As a non-jumper, I just read the given thread about Guppy and the Parachutes...

All I can see is a pxxxed off contributer who fails to read Mr. Guppy's postings correctly and an even more pxxxed off 'cool' moderator. Both are (imo) quite unprofessional.

So go on and ban me, too - but this banning was a mistake - a poster swearing on Mr Guppy walks away with it - and the man who says 'read my posting again, you got me wrong!' gets banned.

At last all the Anti-Guppy-PR by the two people guessing he's not real has had its outcome...

Just my 2 cents as a man with more than 20 years of BBS and forum experience: moderators have difficult jobs. And sometimes their judgements fails.

Kind regards,
Peter

IO540
12th Jun 2011, 10:35
One odd thing about pprune is that the rules are rarely if ever stated, and while we have the nicknames of the mods, when they act it is (in all cases I know of) anonymous. And sometimes one gets banned by the server owner; I got banned once and one of the mods (who I asked) was apparently unable to find out why.

This is how forums work. The owner of the server runs the show; it is his bouncy castle.

Different forums within pprune have different attitudes. I know people who got banned for pretty innocuous posts on some of the airline-related forums. I have also heard reports from years ago (no idea if true, and I doubt it) of people getting kicked off Private Flying for pushing the case for pistons twins.

You can set up your own forum; technically it is very easy these days. For the level of activity in the PF section here, a simple install of PHP-BB on an ADSL-connected PC would be totally adequate. But the moderation challenges will not go away; there will always be characters turning up who cause "trouble" and they will need to be kicked off. And, judging from some forums that have been out there for yonks and are very quiet, there won't be many visitors. Pprune did a lot of publicity over the years and a lot of people visit. Plus you will have to deal with the IT challenges resulting from kids hacking the off the shelf forum software; every pilot forum has been infected in recent times.

If you do get kicked off, you can always create another ID. You might have to knock up a fresh IP... or use a 3G IP or something like that. And start with a clean browser installation (no cookies etc).

Fuji Abound
12th Jun 2011, 11:22
Just my 2 cents as a man with more than 20 years of BBS and forum experience: moderators have difficult jobs. And sometimes their judgements fails.

and

pprune is that the rules are rarely if ever stated, and while we have the nicknames of the mods, when they act it is (in all cases I know of) anonymous.

all of which suggest you (we) dont know why, so it is difficult to claim their judgement has failed.

vanHorck
12th Jun 2011, 12:01
I agree.... and i don't understand why the mods are so cagey about their bans. They tend to do a (very) good job, I think the only items up for discussion are the communications about the "why" and the chance of the one banned to have a new start, like Guppy

Even as a banned person it is sometimes hard to find out who banned and exactly why.

I was once banned and the message of the mod was" we don't need your sort here".

I knew I had been in a heated debate but never expected a ban and was completely surprised.

After a "cooling down" period i was partially reinstated and many months later via another mod I was given back full rights.

Everyone deserves another chance, even Guppy, and even another chance after that, simply because we are humans.....

please don t ban me for this.....

flybymike
12th Jun 2011, 17:19
I'm feeling a bit second rate. I have never been banned from anywhere....

IO540
12th Jun 2011, 17:40

With your

you have clearly not managed to upset anybody yet :)

vanHorck
12th Jun 2011, 18:04
congrats Flybymike!

But aviate before you communicate ok?

Regards

Flybyseatofthepants

Mechta
12th Jun 2011, 18:30
Maybe Mr Guppy, wondering what to do with all his free time now he's not on Pprune, had a 'eureka moment' and decided to devote himself to finishing and flying his homebuilt.

He may well consider a ban from here was the best thing that ever happened to him.:}

Fuji Abound
12th Jun 2011, 19:31
With sadly over 4,000 posts I also have not been banned (yet) but I have had a few posts deleted in my time if that counts.

glorygal
12th Jun 2011, 20:54
I have also had some deleted and I've nowhere near that number of posts :hmm:

flybymike
12th Jun 2011, 22:18
Hey wow I'm a one thousandaire! and never even noticed. Just need to get a bit sadder to match Peter's posts ;)

eharding
12th Jun 2011, 22:43

You poor old thing, FBM.

It's just not fair, is it?

There you are, in your twilight years, and all you want is a bit of excitement in life. A bit of fizz, a touch of sparkle, a hint of living dangerously.

Yes, there's the regular rush of adrenalin when they bring the tea-trolley round, and you have the thrill of discovery: will it be custard creams, choccy digestives or...in a moment of madness...garibaldi?

But what you're really yearning for, the escape to the wild-side, back to the carefree days of youth, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.....what you really want, what you really, really want is to be banned by Pprune, knowing that your name will pass into legend, that threads will run for weeks debating your legacy, and that folk will post reverential comments along the lines of "FBM...love him or hate him...you have to say, he really knew his biscuits"

But no...not after ten years, a thousand posts, nothing. Not even a hint of a reprimand. Not so much as a gentle chiding about a repost, not a thread you started moved to a more appropriate forum, not a request to keep your image postings to the forum recommended dimensions. Nothing.

The trouble is, old mate, you're too nice. You're not just square, you're a hypercube. You're Cleggy from Last of the Summer Wine, never an unkind word or deed, when what you really want to be is Compo, the scruffy miscreant - all ferrets and binder twine, winding up the Nora Batty.

But we're all friends here, and as such we hate to see you pining away, unable to fulfill your dreams. So, here's what we're going to do.

You're going to pretend to take huge exception to something I've posted, and call me a very, very bad name. Something to do with donkeys, maybe. I'm going to pretend to be upset, and complain to the beak. When he - presumably in a state of shock - asks you to withdraw the comment, you call him the same thing....twice....in public. There won't be any alternative then....like Nora Batty setting about Compo with a broom, you'll be out on your ear. Grinning like a maniac.

Job done. As I've said, we're all your mates here, and we're here to help. I know you'd do the same thing for me, old timer. I know you would. :ok:

flybymike
12th Jun 2011, 23:13
:=You absolkute effin bleedin soddin b'stard how dare yo speak to em like that I'll hav emy nurse thrash you to withjin an inchof your scrawnylife wiv me Zimmer...why..I'll...I'll...come round there on me mobitiyt scooetr and I'll...I'll...:{:p
:D;)

eharding
12th Jun 2011, 23:19
:=You absolkute effin bleedin soddin b'stard how dare yo speak to em like that I'll hav emy nurse thrash you to withjin an inchof your scrawnylife wiv me Zimmer...why..I'll...I'll...come round there on me mobitiyt scooetr and I'll...I'll...:{:p
:D;)

Mods......I'd like to lodge a complaint.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Pilot DAR
13th Jun 2011, 00:21
Um... doesn't FBM have to insult and alienate the whole group, then describe some entirely unusual and seemingly unsafe flying technique as being normal, then mention getting shot at a few times while flying a night approach to minimums with an engine shut down, and several other system failures, then describe how he performed a glide landing, while his keys freefell 18,000 feet, to incur the wrath of the moderator?

eharding
13th Jun 2011, 01:23
Um... doesn't FBM have to insult and alienate the whole group, then describe some entirely unusual and seemingly unsafe flying technique as being normal, then mention getting shot at a few times while flying a night approach to minimums with an engine shut down, and several other system failures, then describe how he performed a glide landing, while his keys freefell 18,000 feet, to incur the wrath of the moderator?

Pilot DAR: Shush now, FBM's rolling with it.

FBM: You might want to improvise with a "Canadians - why do they all have flappy faces like Terrance and Phillip?" thread to help things along....but, on second thoughts, you don't know who Terrance and Phillip are, and if you did, you'd only be upset at the whole concept. Hence disregard all after "FBM's rolling with it" above.

Pilot DAR: Disregard all after "FBM:" above.

BRL
13th Jun 2011, 01:30
FBM will not be able to respond for 24hrs.......... :}

Pilot DAR
13th Jun 2011, 02:31
FBM will not be able to respond for 24hrs..........

We will all look forward with great interest to hear what occupied FBM for 24 hours... Gift of a PPRuNe spa day?

Fuji Abound
13th Jun 2011, 07:57
One odd thing about PPRuNe is that the rules are rarely if ever stated,

Well there we go and now you know, it is a simple tariff.

Cusing - 8 hours,

Thrashing with zimmer frames - 6 hours,

Threatening GBH - 6 hours,

Mention of saucy nurses - 4 hours,

now does that come to 24 hours.

all mild in comparison with what some have done on here. :)

vanHorck
13th Jun 2011, 08:18
There are some things which make this forum so enjoyable

Debate on what binds us
Mods with humor
British humor in general

:ok::ok::ok:

Can't wait for Flybymike to tell us about his withdrawal symptoms!

BRL
13th Jun 2011, 12:19
Just off to work and will be back around 2300ish. Might let him out the dungeon then....! :suspect:

Saab Dastard
13th Jun 2011, 12:21
Stage three is to send a rude and insulting PM to the mods*.

Go on, FBM, you know you want to! :E

SD

*That's what gets you permanently banned.

mad_jock
13th Jun 2011, 13:15
Saab Dastard is a Mac user.

AfricanEagle
13th Jun 2011, 14:07
I am shocked and saddened by FBM being banned.

It must be terrible to reach a 1000 unblemished posts and now this un-called for and un-instigated banning!

Where is this forum heading :ugh:

Fuji Abound
13th Jun 2011, 14:41
Stage three is to send a rude and insulting PM to the mods*.

and the tariff would be?

S-Works
13th Jun 2011, 15:31
It's what gets you permanently banned. Come on Fuji, read the small print and keep up!
:p

vanHorck
13th Jun 2011, 17:10
The only reason I got banned was because I was told you need at least one ban before you become eligible as a moderator.

I can feel it, soon the mods will be divulging their junior-mod-selection criteria!

:D

Saab Dastard
13th Jun 2011, 17:13
Saab Dastard is a Mac user.

Call that an insult? I guess you didn't want to be banned, MJ! ;)

SD

Xpert
13th Jun 2011, 17:19
the MODS really need to get out more!! . Losers.

eharding
13th Jun 2011, 21:57
I am shocked and saddened by FBM being banned.

It must be terrible to reach a 1000 unblemished posts and now this un-called for and un-instigated banning!

Where is this forum heading :ugh:

It's fine AE, trust me. Really.

I've heard from FBM, and he's quite thrilled at the whole experience.

He was a bit shaky on his feet, poor old lad, as the whole thing happened quite quickly, but now he's as happy as Larry - a bit upset he wasn't able to grab his favourite tartan slippers to take with him, but he's got his second-favourite pair and his best cardigan, and an old trooper like FBM can't go far wrong when he's got those with him.

I'd like to thank everyone concerned for helping make FBM's dream come true.

Seeing the old chap achieve his lifetime aspiration was...well.....really rather emotional...um....

<snuffle>

Sorry. Thankyou, thankyou all.

BRL
13th Jun 2011, 22:35
Ok, lets take a vote. Who want's FBM back, yay or nay.....(see who his mates really are) :D

(voting will close midday 14/06/11)

Fuji Abound
13th Jun 2011, 22:42
If he comes back he is only going to insufferably boast that he got there with only a thousand votes and if he doesnt come back he will only end up on the darker side with all those lesser mortals who got permanently banned so on balance i think

We should only let him back if he promises to behave and not boast

eharding
13th Jun 2011, 22:44
Ok, lets take a vote. Who want's FBM back, yay or nay.....(see who his mates really are) :D

(voting will close midday 14/06/11)

Obviously, as FBM's election agent, I'm concerned about the conduct of said poll.

We need to be clear if we're talking first-past-the-post, single transferable vote, or true proportional representation.

If the latter, we could end up with a 50% mixture of Guppy and FBM.

i.e. very grumpy, but prone to forget what it was being grumpy about before it finishes typing the sentence. Not, I'm sure you'd agree, what we want at all.

boofhead
14th Jun 2011, 01:12
I got banned because I was rude to Guppy. Am I in an exclusive group?

Pugilistic Animus
14th Jun 2011, 01:13
all my thread and forum bans are on JB
currently on a nine day ban from 'Climate change debate'
:}

vanHorck
14th Jun 2011, 05:34
Oh go on then, but only on the condition he tells us about how his world collapsed around him when he was banned!

mad_jock
14th Jun 2011, 07:56
get FBM back, he sticks up for me being ****e at spelling and grammar.

AfricanEagle
14th Jun 2011, 08:11
Just thinking, if he stays banned for a further 24 hours he can boast an extra feather :E :E :E

Pace
14th Jun 2011, 11:19
With over 6000 views on this thread that must say something for Guppy.
Get him back the place is getting boring

Pace

Justiciar
14th Jun 2011, 13:44
Well I would have them both back. Posting waspish comments on a forum is hardly grounds for a ban and as for PMs to moderators ....... People like Guppy add some spice to a debate and the ability to agree or disagree robustly is what makes debates interesting.

Crash one
14th Jun 2011, 14:51
We need a campaign. FREE THE GUPPY.:D:D:D

AfricanEagle
14th Jun 2011, 15:17
Has at least FBM been let out of jail?

Saab Dastard
14th Jun 2011, 17:03
We need a campaign. FREE THE GUPPY

In all seriousness (for a moment), this isn't going to happen, as he overstepped the mark in a big way.

By all means enjoy the present discussion, but don't expect to see him back - at least not using that name (but I suspect it would be easy to spot him by the nature of his posts if he registered under a new ID).

SD

vanHorck
14th Jun 2011, 17:08
With 71 postings I think you're the one to start the thread "Free the Guppy" cos you need at least 1000 posts to get banned.... :ok:

Also I think your alias will get you some additional credit with the mods.

I suggest the readers count will be the "signatures" in support as your quest as most posters here will only write some garbled text in order not to get banned.... My text will be something like "@#$%^@#$%^ on saturdays only"

:D

ShyTorque
14th Jun 2011, 19:18
FREE THE GUPPY

My personal moderator (my other half), freed a Guppy.

It was almost dead anyway, so it went down the loo.

patowalker
14th Jun 2011, 20:16
With 71 postings I think you're the one to start the thread "Free the Guppy" cos you need at least 1000 posts to get banned.... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I think you have confused his age with the numbers of his posts. Both numbers are pretty high though, so it probably makes no difference.

AfricanEagle
14th Jun 2011, 21:18
Can't wait for FBM to be freed and hear what it is like to be banned.

If it is worth it I'll rush 700 plus posting of nonsense to reach the magic number 1000 and then burp in Italian in a mod's ear and get jailed :)

eharding
14th Jun 2011, 22:09
Can't wait for FBM to be freed and hear what it is like to be banned.

Actually, I'm starting to get rather worried.

He should have been back here hours ago. :eek:

Maoraigh1
14th Jun 2011, 22:11
"In all seriousness (for a moment), this isn't going to happen, as he overstepped the mark in a big way."
That's a great pity. He was among the few on the Private Forum whose posts lead me to visit it. Whopity, Beagle, Justiciar on regulations, IO540, BoseX, DAR, G the E, and a few others. And he was one of the most prolific.

flybymike
14th Jun 2011, 23:04
Hello again chaps;). The jailer has unlocked the cell door and sauntered off.
I can only say what a deeply moving experience this has all been for me, akin to receiving a Queens Birthday Award. Indeed the old ticker is positively tachycardic, and I had better stock up on the Digoxin. I extend my warmest thanks to all here for making this possible and my wildest dreams actually come true, with a special thanks to the Mods and eharding without whose deep understanding of my latent aggressive nature this might all never have happened. Observing snippets of the world outside from my cell door was a truly unique and uplifting experience, and I could never have imagined I might one day reach the exalted ranks of the banished. In recognition of this award I solemnly promise never to let you all down by failing to maintain my pompous surly self opinonated ranty postings.

Now then, where's me slippers, me cup of tea, and me garibaldi......doh! :ugh:

Crash one
15th Jun 2011, 00:26
With 71 postings I think you're the one to start the thread "Free the Guppy" cos you need at least 1000 posts to get banned.... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Also I think your alias will get you some additional credit with the mods.

In all seriousness I wasn't being that serious, although Guppy's posts were entertaining & even interesting at times.
However, 71 posts?? I thought it says 486?

I think you have confused his age with the numbers of his posts. Both numbers are pretty high though, so it probably makes no difference.

I do sometimes feel the numbers are reversed, must be the altzhiemers thing. Did I spell that right?
Crash 1, I hope no-one should need their services!!

Welcome back FBM.

Pace
15th Jun 2011, 01:34
In all seriousness (for a moment), this isn't going to happen, as he overstepped the mark in a big way.

Saab

How on earth did he overstep the mark in such a big way? What did he do? Murder a moderator?
Come on its Christmas (only half a year) Season of goodwill and all that? Who else is going to keep the know it alls honest and trembling in their shoes?

Pace

eharding
15th Jun 2011, 10:28
Now then, where's me slippers, me cup of tea, and me garibaldi......doh! :ugh:

Welcome back, FBM. Tea and biccies will be served shortly...:ok:

Fuji Abound
15th Jun 2011, 10:42
Indeed the old ticker is positively tachycardic

I'd keep that one very quiet, mate.

Either that or I suspect you need the medical forum.

mad_jock
15th Jun 2011, 10:43
Are you not going to feed him a YAK special breakfast eharding

Blackpudding,mushrooms,tattie scones,fried eggs,fried bread,white pudding, hash browns and a tomato and bakebeans for fibre?

O and a pint mug of teaand some toast.

Fuji Abound
15th Jun 2011, 10:43
but welcome back. ;)

eharding
15th Jun 2011, 10:52
Are you not going to feed him a YAK special breakfast eharding

Blackpudding,mushrooms,tattie scones,fried eggs,fried bread,white pudding, hash browns and a tomato and bakebeans for fibre?

O and a pint mug of teaand some toast.

Um....somehow, in all the confusion, someone else ate his breakfast. No idea who. <burp>.

Anyway, all that lard, at his age, can't be good for him.

flybymike
15th Jun 2011, 11:36
All you b*ggers are in danger of getting me banned again...;)

flybymike
15th Jun 2011, 12:19
I trust you were on hunger strike throughout your incarceration?

Red cross food supply arranged by eharding and delivered by airdrop from Guppy ( depite small arms fire from mods.)

mad_jock
15th Jun 2011, 12:32
I didn't know the Red Cross did Grinsters pastys

Fuji Abound
15th Jun 2011, 12:46
Mods - I would like to report Flybymike for disorderly behaviour - I think another 24 hour in the lock up would be perfectly in order.

IO540
15th Jun 2011, 14:01
I agree.

He did post a lot of knowledge which was definitely accurate (where I happened to know the material) but it was discredited by his accounts of his "James Bond" past and present aviation life which simply did not hang together and had to be so heavily embellished that, IMHO, it was hard to believe the accuracy of the stuff which one did not already know about.

patowalker
15th Jun 2011, 14:45
What did he do? Murder a moderator?

He gave one a free flight on N313P.

IO540
15th Jun 2011, 14:56
I googled that one. Yes, that fits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendition_aircraft#N313P). :ok:

V1... Ooops
15th Jun 2011, 15:30
I think it was his constantly aggressive posting style and attacks on others that did it.

I'm kind of late to this thread (having just noticed it), but would like to express my support for the Pprune moderators if, in fact, Guppy got banned (temporarily or permanently) for "...aggressive posting style and attacks on others..."

Regardless of the level of knowledge of a forum participant, and regardless of how much an individual has to offer others in the way of knowledge, facts, etc., the number 1 rule of any internet discussion forum must be "be polite" and "respect - or at the very least, accept - the contrary views of others".

If a forum member is unwilling to 'play nicely with others', then the moderators have no option but to take action to encourage that forum member to be civil and polite. If they don't do that, then the atmosphere of the forum will be poisoned, and many other (equally valued) forum participants will quietly leave and not come back.

I have read Guppy's posts in the past, and occasionally participated in discussions with him. I do agree that he often had worthwhile and interesting things to say, but unfortunately that was often overshadowed by his combatitive and confrontational demeanor.

I think we owe the Pprune moderators - all of whom are volunteers - the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

S-Works
15th Jun 2011, 16:04
I would echo v1s comment. The moderators do a very good job as a rule in keeping what is a little bit of the wild west in semblance of order. I have found myself banned on occasion and despite the indignation at the time it does leave you with the opportunity of a little introspection.........

The mods do very well to keep everyone on an even basis especially when some are being a little on the malicious side.

I have no idea what caused the banning of guppy but I believe it would not be without good reason.

Pace
15th Jun 2011, 16:20
Often the threads get heated and I have seen some pretty insulting and demeaning comments made to other forum members.
The moderators delete those posts but rarely do the writers get banned especially for good.
I would like to know what constitutes a ban? Is it what is said in the forum or the attitude in response to the moderators warning.
What determines whether a banned person is brought back to the fold.
When there is a thread punchup you literally watch the thread views rocket which proves the majority love the excitement of a thread brawl.
There should be one rule for all and not selective banning ?

Pace

Deeday
15th Jun 2011, 22:19
He did post a lot of knowledge which was definitely accurate [...] but it was discredited by his accounts of his "James Bond" past and present aviation life which simply did not hang together and had to be so heavily embellished that, IMHO, it was hard to believe the accuracy of the stuff which one did not already know about.

Amen to that.

I started skipping Guppy's posts long ago. Their verbosity didn't help either.

stickandrudderman
16th Jun 2011, 21:27
Their verbosity didn't help either

Ditto. I could never be bothered reading his posts; too full of self-importance.

Fuji Abound
16th Jun 2011, 22:04
Is the thread in danger of becoming as verbose as his posts.

Obviously the weather has been bad. :)

maxred
17th Jun 2011, 10:20
I looped out at Page 3 - it started its downward spiral at that point.:eek:

Pugilistic Animus
18th Jun 2011, 06:41
although high altitude jumps are done legally in the US

HaloJumper (http://halojumper.com/)

maxred
19th Jun 2011, 13:00
the ultimate adrenalin rush???:ouch:

Pugilistic Animus