PDA

View Full Version : Visas

gardiwil
22nd Jan 2002, 17:05
I am based in London (a British citizen) and thinking of going to Florida to get my PPL will I need a student visa or can I just pitch up

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Jan 2002, 18:37
gardiwil,

For any Flight Training consisting of more than 20 hours a week (note: Not flight hours but training hours), you will need at least an M-1 Visa.

A good place to start your research is the <a href="http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/student.htm" target="_blank">US Embassy London - M-1 Visas - Students </a>

[quote]

Nonacademic (M-1) Visa: A student wishing to pursue a course of study which is not principally academic in nature at an established vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution such as a post secondary vocational or business school requires an M-1 visa.. . . .<hr></blockquote>

Here is a link to a thread I posted 03 October 2001 detailing the <a href="http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=011103" target="_blank">M-1 Visa</a>.

Hope This Helps,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.. .Naples Air Center, Inc.

whydontugetalife
22nd Jan 2002, 21:32
Although it is true you need a M1 for flying OVER 20HRS, you wont need one for PPL. I dont think its really pysically possible to fly even 20hrs in a week whilst training for a PPL. Be wary of any school that forces you to do this anyway...

A visa waiver will get you in just fine. Its basically a flying holiday isnt it anyway.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Jan 2002, 23:26
whydontugetalife,

Did you read the note? Its is not based on flight hours but training hours. That includes the hours of ground training and written exams.

It all comes down to two things, do you want to lie to the Immigration Officer and risk deportation or not. Prior to 11 Sept. Immigration Officers did not enforce the rules, after 11 Sept. they do.

It is up to the student. Why not do it right since the M-1 visa costs the student nothing.

Good Luck,

englishal
23rd Jan 2002, 01:05
You don't need a visa to do the JAR course. As long as your stay is less than 3 months, you can enter on the visa waiver. For FAA ratings, you need a visa. Both times, when I did my JAR licence, and then FAA ratings, I entered the US on the Visa Waiver scheme, and if asked what I was doing, I was doing some 'recreational' flying, which was good enough for INS.

What they don't know, wo't hurt them!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jan 2002, 02:01
englishal,

Please post the U.S. Immigration Regulation which distinguishes Flight Training between FAA and JAA in the U.S.

(To anyone reading this thread. Do not take anyones word here, mine or otherwise. Contact your local U.S. Embassy and find out directly from the source what you are required to have.)

Take Care,

Beethoven
23rd Jan 2002, 02:14
I think that in all fairness,I would not risk turning up without a visa.The fact is,the INS inspector has the right to deny you entry for any reason he sees fit,and as I understand it,using a visa waiver also waives any rights to an appeal; so it could be a case of getting a guy on the desk who is not interested in the finer points of "recreational courses",especially to do with flying,and it is straight back on the plane for home!!...Also there are some pretty stiff sanctions for lying to an Immigration Officer (even if you are right)..something like being banned from entering for 5 years or more?...Either way it would be a shame to be banned from the greatest flying environment on earth (IMHO)for the sake of a piece of paper.Don't risk it...although I have had no bad experiences from INS,many have and I am sure mine will come one day,but I will be prepared with all my facts and papers and stamps,and at least I won't be able to blame myself if the worst happens.. .Best Wishes. .Beethoven

farrenfour
23rd Jan 2002, 07:43
Naples air is absolutely correct.

Contact the embassey and get *prior* approval for the visa and state your intentions, if we consider the recent events regarding aircraft in the US, do we really think that US immigration are going to just wave us on in without a visa?

When you do go to the embassy, bring the kitchen sink, ie bring every form of identification that you can think of, it just makes the consular officials job easier.

. .F4

"oops , its never done that before ???"