PDA

View Full Version : Which way would you go B737-200 or Q400 ?

Request push back
5th Jun 2011, 17:33
Hello Guys

Just completed my B737-200 type rating and I have been offered a job as captain on Q400. A bit lost on which way to go as I want to start flying the B732 as copi and get some jet time but also would love to fly the Q400 as PIC. What do you guys think is better experience, the old B732 or PIC on glass cockpit aircraft ? :confused:

mach 84
6th Jun 2011, 15:54
go for the Q-400, the 732 is too old to be considered by anyone in your

resume, especially as F/O, go for the command on the prop.

the 732 is a nice machine, i flew it, but this was 24 years ago and i was

lucky to be sent to the 733 after flying it for 6 months. :ok:

skypirate2u
6th Jun 2011, 16:00
Tprop pic on glass is worth more than sic turbojet dials. Though it would make you better pilot.

7Q Off
7th Jun 2011, 00:53
Depend on your total time, the country were you live (to know your career future) and if you can upgrade as 737 200 captain soon.

In some countries Jet time is Jet time.

FrankR
7th Jun 2011, 01:29
7Q Off is closer to the mark.

My opinion is that I'd rather hire a guy with jet time. Bigger jets are better still.

Question is, where are you going after this?

FR

7Q Off
7th Jun 2011, 02:46
If you master flying the old school way you will fly anything.

I remember when I upgrade to 737 200 captain I came from the Airbus A340. It was a real challenge going back to dials. But after a while when I moved again to the 500 and then 700 series, the tips I learned about the old school way, how I managed the cockpit, how much I can thrust the electronics, etc, give me a different view of the goods and bads of glass cockpit. It was very usefull to me. Specially in an emergency.

Yes dials are old and never going back but I loved the exprerience. It really opened my head. I see a lots of pilots that only flew glass cockpit than when they need to do an old style aproach because of a FMC fail, sim training or a real emercency, even a visual aproach without FD they suffer. The normal problem is that they concentrate in the computer more than just flying the plane. Just put VOR on the ND and fly the old way. Old school was a real bonus en my career.

Panama Jack
7th Jun 2011, 07:28
As other posters have stated "It depends," mostly on what the rest of your logbook looks like, where you live, where you want to go career-wise, etc. Also fair to assess the employment stability and "next" opportunities based on what the company is operating.

Having said all of that, I never flew the Q400 but I did fly the -100's -200's -300's EFIS models of the Dash 8 and thought them to be "barely EFIS" compared to modern Airbuses. Respectable airplanes, for sure, but I think that if you are looking at heavier metal in the future the 737-200 will be a good basic trainer for you. Enjoy every moment of it!

stilton
9th Jun 2011, 04:19
No question, go for the jet time and the experience, it is far more valuable now and in the future than turboprop time for your career.

Surely, what you want, eventually is to be PIC on a Jet, so jet experience is what you need.

7Q Off
12th Jun 2011, 16:36
Jet time is jet time. Heavy jet time is Heavy jet time.

GlueBall
12th Jun 2011, 20:51
On a no-brainer scale, would you want to drive a Volkswagen or a BMW...? :rolleyes:

kingpost
15th Jun 2011, 07:19
It all depends on how old you are, will you be flying the Q400 for an established outfit and the 732 for a one aircraft operation.....too many variables that are unknown.

You do what you want to do, either way you'll be flying a jet in the next 5 years! I still think there's great personal development in being PIC, no one can take that away from you. What's your next step, to join an outfit that would require 'glass time', it's your call. Remember it's the journey that counts, not the destination, Good luck