PDA

View Full Version : R/T to Humberside from Sherburn

Lagentium
4th Jun 2011, 19:11
Little help needed please!
Im a student flying from Sherburn, and made my first flight to Humberside the other day with my instructor, all went well and I really enjoyed it, the next thing im doing is the same route but solo.
The only thing im worried about when Im solo is the radio calls, Im fine with Fenton Approach and leaving the circuit, the same vice versa, its just getting the initial call into Humberside, what follows and how its structured whilst inbound and departing. Id just like some peoples advice thats all, any advice would be great and greatfully received, many thanks

ralphmalph
4th Jun 2011, 19:20
Military student pilots are taught to use the following acronym:

A: Aircraft
P: POB
H: Heading & Height
L: Location
I: IFF Code
T: Type of service

This is not absolutley correct in sequence, I do think that the correct form is to open the R/T with the type of service required.

If in doubt, write it on your knee board!

Regards

Ralph

The Dead Side
4th Jun 2011, 19:30
If I were flying the same route as you, I find out the current information from Humberside ATIS before calling them. I wouldn't ask for a specific service when approaching the ATZ, but I would request joining instructions;

"Humberside Radar, G-XXXX, overhead [VRP], request joining instructions."

I've never flown into Humberside, but you're likely to receive instructions to join the circuit either downwind or base etc for the active runway.

Hope this helps.
DS

BackPacker
4th Jun 2011, 19:30
I think that as long as you prefix your callsign with "student" on the initial call, all your errors will be forgiven...:ok:

If you do want to get things perfect though - have you checked the CAA Radiotelephony Manual (CAP413)?

24Carrot
4th Jun 2011, 20:34
I think that as long as you prefix your callsign with "student" on the initial call, all your errors will be forgiven...

Excellent advice.
And when you can't quite remember the next thing to say, stop transmitting.
If it matters, they will ask you!:ok:

140KIAS
4th Jun 2011, 21:38
I dont have specific experience of Humberside however IIRC they offer a LARS service. Based on experience of similar aerodromes I would call them up once clear of Fenton and initially request a basic service.

I was taught CARPACER which in this instance would translate as follows;

Callsign - Humberside Radar G-ABCD
Aircraft Type - PA28
Route - Sherburn to Humberside, routing X Y Z
Altitude - 2000 feet
Conditions - VFR
Estimate - estimating next turning point at ...
Request - requesting basic service

Humberside will then know you intentions, possibly give you a squawk. Once you are closer they will probably give you joining instructions.

If you dont get anything I would call them up about 10 miles out to advise your positon and request joining instructions.

9/10 I find ATC call me just when Im thinking its time to call them.

aluminium persuader
4th Jun 2011, 22:24
At the risk of stating the obvious, why don't you phone them & ask what they would like from you & what you can expect from them? They won't bite your head off!

Forewarned is forearmed!!!

ap

Mr Man
5th Jun 2011, 01:03
Sorry to seem like a smart **se,but it is your instructors job to put your mind at rest regarding these sort of questions, which are so important to you.I am an instructor and would never dream of sending my students solo unless they were completely at ease with these sort of matters.I think your instructor will feel the same.Good luck with it :)

AdamFrisch
5th Jun 2011, 06:45
Who you are, where you are, what you want. That's the approach to all radio call ups.

Helen49
5th Jun 2011, 07:35
The advice given by Backpacker above is spot on!

CAP413 provides the correct format for ALL RTF calls [the standard information in the standard order]. Prefixing your call 'student' alerts ATC to your inexperience and enables them to issue simple instructions in a digestible manner!

As suggested above, a telephone call to ATC is very useful and will enable them to specify any particular routeing as well as forewarning you about likely joining instructions.

When you reach HUY and if possible, why not visit ATC? It will be a worthwhile part of your flying education.
H49

thing
5th Jun 2011, 08:23
I fly around your area using the local LARS services. My initial would be 'Humberside zone G-**** request basic'

They'll return with 'G-**** pass your message'

Your reply 'G-**** is a PA-28 1 pob departing Sherburn for Humberside passing 1,500 for 3,000 request basic'

They'll give you a squawk and QNH, repeat it back to them.

They will then say 'G-**** basic approved'

You reply 'Basic for G-*****'.

They know you are inbound so they'll hand you off to the tower when you are visual with the airfield.

Edit: Mind you, having said all that don't Fenton Approach hand you off to Humberside? You just ask for basic and they come straight back with 'Basic service approved' in that case. If Fenton say 'Freecall Humberside on *****.** squawk 7000 then you have to go through all the guff above.

Is Sam Jackson your instructor?

cirrusdancer
5th Jun 2011, 09:16
Sherburn have an excellent RT guide in the member's area of the website.
Download Login (http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143:local-rt-revision-for-students&catid=59:student-information&Itemid=88) which gives sample RT on the very journey you're about to embark on.

Enjoy the flight and the experience.

Yorkphil
5th Jun 2011, 10:09
Cirrusdancer beat me to the advice about the RT guide on the Sherburn website.

Can I also highly recommend that you look at the RT course at Multi-flight with Malcom Dobson.
There are many good things about learning to fly from a smallish airfield like Sherburn but getting plenty of varied RT experience isn't one of them.
Two days spent with Malcolm will get you totally confident in your RT calls and will get your RT license out of the way as well.
I did it about the same time as you are in your training (perhaps a little earlier) and it removes one area of worry when you are doing your solo nav trips
and QXC (East Midlands & Humberside).

Chilli Monster
5th Jun 2011, 12:45
I fly around your area using the local LARS services. My initial would be 'Humberside zone G-**** request basic'

And you would be wrong

'Humberside RADAR G-**** INBOUND, request basic SERVICE'

RADAR - Look in the AIP / Pooleys. Humberside does not have a CTR of any form nor is it a MATZ, so it is Radar when operating with Radar, Approach when non-Radar

INBOUND - Nothing more annoying than picking up the wrong colour flight strip before you write the details on it. Saying "Inbound" or "Transit" (As has been the recommended practice for the last 4-5 years and may have even made it into the CAP 413 by now), makes for a happy Controller.

SERVICE - That's just me being pedantic. You're a Student, you want to sound if you know what you're doing, not cocky and gash.

After that - it's easy. As Adam Frisch has said:

Who are you: Self explanatory

Where are you: Self explanatory

What do you want: You've already addressed part of that, you can just refine that ("Request VFR arrival")

Want to sound really proficient - do they have an ATIS? (Look it up, yes they have). Listen to that before hand, write down the details, put it in your initial call:

'Humberside Radar, G-**** inbound, With information........(letter)....request basic service.

Top tip - on your second transmission don't go through this mnemonic nonsense and repeat half the stuff you've said before. ATCO's only need telling twice by our wives - pilots only have to do it once.

Almost
5th Jun 2011, 13:34
This found this guide quite easy to understand, and in colour, click relevant tab :-)
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/AviationGuideFinal20090917_LOCKED.pdf

For those zone transits etc this can be handy for the kneeboard, (page 2)
http://www.flyontrack.co.uk/scripts/MIAB/MIAB_ShowAsset.asp?a=-2147483608

mad_jock
5th Jun 2011, 16:01
Isn't there a special Cap 413 for humberside,leeds and the old days sheffield?

I believe the intial call is.

"eh up Raaaydar G-xxxx inbound wit romeio, basic service would be grand cock"

SFCC
5th Jun 2011, 16:41
Nearly correct mad jock.....but the correct phraseology is "cocker".
Shame on you for making such an basic error:}

mad_jock
5th Jun 2011, 17:09
Shouldn't there also be an "our kid" in there somewhere as well?

Maybe instead of Raaaydar?

flybymike
5th Jun 2011, 17:25
Nay lad there b'aint be no cocks in Yorkshire except male birds and male appendages.

It should be ..."EH OOP LAD!

thing
5th Jun 2011, 21:02
And you would be wrong

'Humberside RADAR G-**** INBOUND, request basic SERVICE'

Yep, slip of the keyboard there.

Flyingmac
6th Jun 2011, 10:13
Heard on the radio en-route to IOM on friday.

'G-XXXX, use full call sign.
G-..XX, wilco :ugh:

Lagentium
13th Jul 2011, 19:29
Thanks everyone for your input, all duly noted etc! All went well and the ATCOs at Humberside were spot on, thanks again

Jim