PDA

View Full Version : Fuel to return to YLEC

Desert Flower
3rd Jun 2011, 11:08
From an article in the local paper this week:

The State Government has agreed to help fund the replacement of the aviation fuel facility at the Leigh Creek Aerodrome. As you may know the aviation fuel facilities in most neighboring airports are being withdrawn by the suppliers and so this is marvellous news for Leigh Creek as it will start to attract air carriers to Leigh Creek and increase the through put which in turn will help local businesses in Leigh Creek and Copley. It is estimated that it will take approximately another two months to get the facility up and running which will still be in time for most of the tourist season.

Will believe it when I see it with my own eyes though!

DF.

sms777
3rd Jun 2011, 11:19
Cheering!!!!:D:D:D:D

Paul Alfred
3rd Jun 2011, 12:28
Will you get to be the Pump Operator again DF? This will be a welcomed return for many operators...fingers crossed ;)

Desert Flower
3rd Jun 2011, 12:58
Will you get to be the Pump Operator again DF?

Lol, you're the third one that's asked me that tonight! My understanding of the setup is that it will be a cardswipe operation, thus no need for anyone to be present. I don't know what the regulations are regarding daily checks on such a setup - perhaps someone reading this will know whether it is a requirement or not.

DF.

PLovett
3rd Jun 2011, 14:15
DF, if its going to be anything like the one at TNK, which was a cardswipe (carnet), then it will have to be checked daily.

Jabawocky
3rd Jun 2011, 18:01
Lol, you're the third one that's asked me that tonight! My understanding of the setup is that it will be a cardswipe operation, thus no need for anyone to be present. I don't know what the regulations are regarding daily checks on such a setup - perhaps someone reading this will know whether it is a requirement or not.

DF.

And if it is as reliable as many of the Shell bowsers, you will make more money in call outs etc than you ever did before. Ask the guy at YCAB or many others. On that topic BP at YRED will have seen a jump in sales:ugh:

That's progress for you .....the oil company way!

Sunfish
3rd Jun 2011, 19:35
Thank Goodness! Now I can take the Arrow back to YARK and not worry about TOW and runway length.

27/09
4th Jun 2011, 00:20
I don't know what the regulations are regarding daily checks on such a setup -

I presume this check refers to contamination checks.

Who requires this daily check - CASA?

I know a daily check is not a requirement here in NZ. From memory there used to be a weekly or monthly check, I used to to do them, but it was some time ago now.

The daily check seems to be an overkill and particularly onerous for remote locations.

And if it is as reliable as many of the Shell bowsers, you will make more money in call outs etc than you ever did before

Why are they unreliable?

catseye
4th Jun 2011, 02:38
27/09

the daily checks are a safety measure as they pick up condensate that may have dropped out of solution as fuel, particularly Jet A, can hold disolved water from the refinery.When the temp drops eg overnight frost the water condenses on the walls of the tank and could eventually ends up in the filter.
The filters used these days are monitor filters that shut off the fuel if volumes of free water are found.
End result if the checks are not done is the filter will shut off the flow at the most inconvenient time. Have a look at the site your refuel installation next time. There should be a guage that measures the pressure drop across the filter. There is also a pump to sample the bottom of the tank daily.

A semi load of fuel loaded hot can drop litres of water between say Altona ( Melbourne ) and a cold site ( Pick one). The procedures are there for a reason.

:=

mcgrath50
4th Jun 2011, 02:42
Any date for when this will be in place?

mostlytossas
8th Jun 2011, 09:33
This same story appeared in todays "Advertiser" ( for those unaware that's Adelaides daily newspaper that is renoun for getting facts wrong or even inventing stories/facts as most News corp's papers do).
Anyway the story went on to state that the Goverment is putting this money up so the Air Ambulance, and fly in fly out mining workers aircraft can refuel.
As the vast majority of the above are now Avtur aircraft,does anyone have any factual knowledge of what exactly is being installed. Will Avgas be installed also or will it be Avtur only or even Avgas only? Nothing would surprise.

Desert Flower
8th Jun 2011, 10:30
Thank Goodness! Now I can take the Arrow back to YARK and not worry about TOW and runway length.

Where's your sense of adventure Sunny? I knew a guy that used to take a Queenair into YARK with no problems!

Any date for when this will be in place?

No, not yet. As was stated in my original post, the time frame was approximately two months.

Anyway the story went on to state that the Goverment is putting this money up so the Air Ambulance, and fly in fly out mining workers aircraft can refuel.

The only time the RFDS would be likely to refuel is on one of their clinic runs.
As for the fly in fly out mining workers aircraft, there isn't one - unless you count the charter aircraft (a Kingair) that comes up Mondays & Fridays. And I know the main driver of that aircraft will be very happy to see it come about, as will the driver of the West Wing Aviation mail plane!
There will be two tanks (10,000 litres each) installed - one Avgas, one Avtur. Both swipe operated. My sources have told me that the company installing them is Stark Aviation from Parafield. Not sure what brand of fuel they deal with, but believe it is Shell.

DF.

mostlytossas
8th Jun 2011, 12:55
Ok DF thanks for that.
I know Stark aviation or "Flying Fuels" as they now call themselves.
They used to be the Shell agent at Parafield until Shell pulled out,so are now an independent. The avgas they sell comes from BP now but under their own label.
In any event it will be good to have avgas back at YLEC and with a swipe bowser for those trips to Lake Eyre, Birdsville etc with out the need to go via YOLD and get slugged with a $55 opening fee.

Up-into-the-air
8th Jun 2011, 14:07
LEC Fuel:

DF - Certainly better than the drums proposed. It was a pity that there has been such a delay. I am sure that we all will be back.

Look forward to your smiling face - keep the physio up on the leg!

Twin Comanches are the way to go.

Old Akro
20th Oct 2011, 07:44
Does anyone know if the new fuel installation is complete?

Desert Flower
20th Oct 2011, 09:53
Does anyone know if the new fuel installation is complete?

Nope - not even started. Latest rumor is within two weeks. If it's anything like the two months initially proposed then it's still a long way off!

DF.

Old Akro
20th Oct 2011, 11:36
You know the old joke about builders. The answer to very question is 2 weeks.. Thanks anyway. Need to go to the Alice and the airfare is more than I've just paid for Mel - Bangkok - shanghai - Bangkok - Mel. At Qantas fares I'll take the Seneca. But I guess I'll take another day and spend a night at woomera. Big party there this weekend for the end of the BAE contract.

Desert Flower
20th Oct 2011, 22:00
At Qantas fares I'll take the Seneca.

If you take the sneaker you can be sure of getting there - unlike with qaint arse the way things are going! ;)

DF.