PDA

View Full Version : Aus Employment for overseas trained pilots

scd101
2nd Jun 2011, 10:23
Hi PPruners,

Im heading over to the states next year to do my CPL, IR, ME and instructor ect. My plan is to return to aus do my conversions then try and find a job back in australia, Im wondering if employers will look at you different if you have been trained in the US rather than australia? just curious thanks.

BJ HAWK
2nd Jun 2011, 19:14
Hey dude,

I dont think there'll be any sorta problem. Just brush up on your theory, as I've heard FAA one's pretty easy and not that elaborative. And for your conversion back to CASA pick a school who might be looking to hire an instructor, its more convenient for an operator to hire within.

US is a smart choice, you'll be saving heaps of money. Where exactly are u planning to fly over thr?

Cheers !!:ok:

Charliethewonderdog
2nd Jun 2011, 23:37
out sourcing hay???? hmmm this is when the rot starts. In 5 years time when you are sitting in he right hand seat of an airline and you are complaining about working conditions and jobs being sent over seas because it's cheaper.... Support the industry here.

Gravox
3rd Jun 2011, 02:55
I did my flight training in NZ, and came across to Australia to fly under the then new, Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement. Funny thing was there was little recognition on behalf of the operators i applied to. I got all sorts of grief. "You Kiwis don't know how to fly". "Its easy to navigate in NZ, mountains on your left, and sea on your right means you're heading North" and all sorts of other B.S. I would agree however that i didn't really know much about the Australian airspace, their MBZs, air law etc etc. It was a learn as you go experience. So i would recommend doing the Australian Air Law when you return from the States.

When I was looking for work in Australia the industry was slow, and then died all together. But I managed to get a foot hold in the industry and flew for many years in Australia before returning to NZ.

As I recall many Australian pilots went to the States to do there ATPLs, and then transfer it to the Australian equivalent as it was easier and quicker than the CASA ATPL, all so they could apply to Virgin.

Good luck with it all, and don't listen to all the Nay sayers and negativity that the Australian pilots are well known for. At the end of the day it's your hard earn $$$ that you're spending. God knows you'll need it when you apply to Virgin or Jetstar and you have to pay for you endorsement.

PyroTek
3rd Jun 2011, 06:36
So i would recommend doing the Australian Air Law when you return from the States

Isn't that a requirement for a license conversion?

As I recall many Australian pilots went to the States to do there ATPLs, and then transfer it to the Australian equivalent as it was easier and quicker than the CASA ATPL, all so they could apply to Virgin.

I think some majors require Australian ATPL subjects... I hear they can look at your results too..

rmcdonal
3rd Jun 2011, 06:57
I think some majors require Australian ATPL subjects... I hear they can look at your results too..
The CASA Pre-Requisite Report is required for several airlines in Australia. It shows all your scores for all your CASA exams, not just the ones you passed.....

rgmgbg01
3rd Jun 2011, 09:08
This is a wind up right?

You want to get an instructor job when you come back here? WTF!! why would anyone want to be taught by you - you didn't even learn to fly in the country!

Would love to get your resume when you get back - I look forward to telling you why you wasted your $$$.....

:mad: me..

rmcdonal
3rd Jun 2011, 09:41
Virgin specifically ask Was your Australian ATPL issued on the basis of CASA recognition of foreign qualifications?
Not to sure if it effects your employability.

tail wheel
3rd Jun 2011, 09:48
With a US FAA CPL with basic 200 plus hours I seriously doubt you will find any Australian employer willing to employ you.